big stihl bar wear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twofiveoh

Reaction score
I bought a new 880 with a 60" stihl bar earlier this year. it has milled up 6 large logs (10' x 40"+ diam). Ive found it hard to find the proper chain tension. If anything the chain has been on the loose side. How tight is too tight on a bar that size? The bar seems to wear at the back. Very little wear everywhere else. There are burrs on top and botttom since ive flipped it several times. Is that normal wear? The oiler is wide open and It has a granberg auxiliary oiler on the front. I use a winch to slowly pull it along. I let the saw do the work. Chains are sharp. Photo to show area of wear. thanks

Attachments

• stihl bar.JPG
    stihl bar.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 60
It's slapping a little right there when it goes back into the groove. It might need to be a touch tighter but they'll wear there and at the nose more than anywhere else.

Just some general advice as have not used that long of a bar.

It needs to be pretty tight when it's cold as it will stretch as it heats up. Check it after 1st cut and tighten if needed. Be sure to loosen when done and/or make sure it spins free when cooled down.

It don't seem to be an oiling problem as then the paint would show signs and even the bar get discolored.

Latest posts

Back