Biodegradable bar oil...... anybody use it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never used that make but have used it in the past,You are recomended to turn the oil flow down as they say you dont need to use as much,A cheaper oil is using Vegtable oil it does the same job at half the cost.

I've read that some vegetable oils oxidize and will leave a hard film or build up which could be a problem. I think some other types don't oxidize, the evaporate, which makes them better for chainsaw use. Which ones don't oxidize I couldn't tell you.

Ian

I use Vegetable oil in my PowerPruner and in my climbing saw. It works very well. It actually flows a little easier than standard bar oil and pumps better through the marginal systems that some small units have. The oxidizing is real but unimportant-It doesn't harden in the tank or anything. The spillage on the outside of the tank of the PP has turned to varnish-it will dissolve with solvent and a little elbow greas but doesn't bother me. The area under the bar cover gets new oil thrown on it along with chips and has never hardened between cleanings.

ok, so it flows better. maybe i should go fill my saw with water, i bet that'll flow better too.

I just thought there must be more to it,
but i guess if he has been using it a while and his bars and chains don't wear excessively, then that is a good enough indication of how it works as a lubricant.

i havent seen any reason to switch to veg oil, thought maybe stumper could enlighten me

sorry guys, i didn't mean to troll

At STP they use canola oil and it "flows well" never really thought that was an issue with bar oil, usually wanting more tack, I dont like it due to poor lubrication on the longer bars and theassociated stretch.

burned oil

Poeple will give a way brunt oil. and you may go through a bar alittle afster useing burnt oil but by the time you factor in how much you ahve saved in money, it don't make much diference. Its a lot cheaper, plus its putting old oil to good use.

Newfie said:
$18 a gallon at my Husky dealer. He only carries it because Asplundh is required to use it around here on ROW work. No thank you.

Aye! Right in the money maker. I mean a gallon of standard Chain and Bar lube will run you about 3-4 dollars if I remember correctly, or basically the price for an average gal of veggie oil.

I will never, ever go back

I've been using vegetable oil for 4 years now, both Summer and Winter, in both the 346's and the 395's and power pruner.

Just today I did one of those really stupid things, where you do gas and oil, pick up your saw, but forget to put the oil cap back on. Didn't notice until I'd drenched my right-side chainsaw pants and boot, and the rest on the ground. I seem to do this at least once a year. Anyway, no big deal because it was only vegetable oil.

I don't recommend veggie oil for guys who don't run the saws regularly (it will oxidize, given enough time). For those of us who run them daily, or even a few times a week, I highly recommend it, as it is run through long before there is a chance for it to oxidize. I also suggest it for both health reasons, and environmental reasons.

If you don't give a crap about your health, or refuse to ignore that you're spinning off atomized particles of oil into the air, which you inevitably breath in, then put in used motor oil, like Timberjackboy. It's cheap, it stinks, what the heck? You're also probably aware that the 'bar oil' particles end up on your gloves, hands, hair and clothing. Wash your oily pants with socks, shirts and underwear and minor amounts will cling to those non-oily clothes, as there is no perfect detergent, and petoleum-based oil is not very soluble. I would guess that some might even stick to the inside of the washing machine. Just a guess. It doesn't matter, though. Your wife doesn't know when she goes to wash your sheets, or your children's clothing. As long as nobody knows, it's OK....

I apologise if the truth seems somewhat sarcastic. It's not a matter of whether you believe that stuff or not. It simply is what it is.

Having used nothing but vegetable oil as my bar lubricant for so many years now, I will gladly and freely offer to answer any question that anybody has. I may not know you, but I care about you. I also care deeply about the environment, but I don't particularly care about stimulating the economy of the petrochemical industry.

Bar oil leaks, bar oil gets spilled, bar oil ends up on the ground, in the sawdust, on the firewood and on the ground. That's just the truth, and you all know it.

If you REALLY care about the oil oxidizing, break a Vitamin E gel cap into the next gallon of corn, soybean, canola, peanut or vegetable oil you buy. Vitamin E is a powerful, fat-soluble antioxidant. I personally have never done this because most food oil manufacturers already add it to extend the shelf life. Veggie oil costs around $5 a gallon. I'm ready for any questions.

I have run used canola oil in my saws a couple of times, with no apparent side effects. Just made sure it was strained first to get rid of the food particles in it. I can get kind of thick on a cold winter's day around here though this is maybe less of a problem for those further south. Given detergents are also petroleum derived the fact that maybe there is a little dissolved oil on the inside of the washing machine is no bigee.

Tree Machine said:
Just today I did one of those really stupid things, where you do gas and oil, pick up your saw, but forget to put the oil cap back on. Didn't notice until I'd drenched my right-side chainsaw pants and boot, and the rest on the ground.

Glad I wasn't the only one today!! Actually, the other climber was nice enough to fill up my saw and I had to start the 20F morning felling a larch with oily boots, pants, and flipline :angry:

I use what I can get. Bio-oil is very common here. :)

There has been many experiments started in the 60's.
Now almost all Pro loggers here has veg. oil.
The forrest companys has all harvester machines going on this.

jeeze

do you boys drive cars and trucks expecially you TRE MACHINE? oh oh you don't give a???? about the environment. WEll heck go with the BURNED OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS WAY CHEAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why isn't everyone still useing horses? instead they choose to use skidders and harvesting machines because they care more about productivity and cost then the nevironment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so go with the burned oil!!!!!!!!!!!!

I for one value my saws and my health too much to use waste oil as bar lubricant. Waste oil has no tack agent in it and REALLY flies off the bar, to the point where the operator is in a mist of toxic waste. Stihl has a laboratory study on wate oil leading to engine failure because the saw inhaled the oil. Want to CARE for the environment?, re-cycle used oil and run bio oil in your chainsaw. I personally use regular bar oil because I am not a full time sawyer and don't need the posiibility of the oil going bad in the tank. A friend of mine who IS a full time user switched to bio oil on the advise of his dermatologist and his psoriosis cleared up.

yeah

Never had a problem with waste oil causeing enegine faiure? might wear the bar out alitle faster. But look at it this way. You can get a 150 gallon barrel of used oild for free, when chain oil runs 5-10 bucks a jug canadian, and thats not a whole lot of oil. But i do see your point as bio oil being better for the evnironemnt but its pretty expensive

Back