Biodegradable bar oil...... anybody use it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2001 Encarta College Dictionary.
Correct usage - Ain't is one of the most informal verb contractions in English, and its use in formal contexts may be criticized because it is associated with careless speech. It is, however, accepted in folk and popular song lyrics, show titles, direct quotations, and fictional dialogue. Otherwise ain't is best avoided, except as a deliberate rhetorical device and in allusive expressions such as You ain't seen nothing yet.
So it seems as if Frank was grammatically correct.

ray benson said:
2001 Encarta College Dictionary.
Correct usage - Ain't is one of the most informal verb contractions in English, and its use in formal contexts may be criticized because it is associated with careless speech. It is, however, accepted in folk and popular song lyrics, show titles, direct quotations, and fictional dialogue. Otherwise ain't is best avoided, except as a deliberate rhetorical device and in allusive expressions such as You ain't seen nothing yet.
So it seems as if Frank was grammatically correct.
YOU have a lot to do

Jim (Tree Machine) is out of town for the rest of the year, and I've been a bit busy.  I'd intended on contacting that manufacturer and inviting one of their engineers to chime in on this thread, but I'm going to wait until after the weekend.

Glen

Oh stopit TJ... yer killin' me. Ain't ya gotta sense of humor?

Glen, it'd be very intersting indeed to see what they have to say. I'm sure you'll heep us updated?

I get suspicious of "secret" stuff. Remember when doctors started telling us how bad sugar was? Well, now we know Nutri-Sweet is a carcinogen, so I guess old-fashioned sugar ain't so bad after all, eh?

Timberjackboy said:
So you guys like climb trees and cut off dead or damages limbs? Or just prune the tree up pretty like?

Why yes, some of us do those things that you seem to be trying to say.(i.e. climb trees in order to cut off dead and damaged branches and/or prune trees for a pleasant appearance.). Some of us like it very much but there may be some who just do the work without enjoyment. :)

well sir

befor i came to this site i didn't even know what arborist was. See dwon here we call our sleves woods workers. We go out and cut down trees, right now gotta stick to soft wood and pople the mills arn't taken hardwood since the market the glutted after nackawick shut down. and The only thing they are taken pople for is to make flake board. I know what a skidder is and how to use one, and the different types.. You see sir you got your cable skidders, your grapple skidders and your clambunk skidders, and your porters we always caleld them porters but i guess they call them forwarders now. Then thers your cutting machines. The feller buncher which works usually in combination with your grapple skidder is your full tree harvesting set up, and for cut to lengh ya use your harvester and your porter(forwarder). Cable skidder are loseing ground fast, Timberjack stopped maken the 240 cause no one could aford to buy a new one anymore unless your a big company but even then you really haven't got the use for one.
My slef if i wa sgoing to go into logging id look at one of those morgan skidders, they are Canadian made:) they have a hydrostic transmission suppsoed to be very reliable one fella in the miramichie are replaced his Cat grapple with a morgan and the morgan stood up a lot better i guess, he was using his skidders to yrad inot his chpper. Prentice probaly arn't bad skidders either, they always made great loaders, I hear they are cheaper as well. You guys ever hear tell of a circle clear cut? new cutting method where it promotes the grouth of new hardwood species, usually after you clear cut alot of pople start to grow up, and then your maple. Around here beach is amajor problem. They are all diseased and are dieing. They won't grow very big. The branches all bend over and they get this rough dots all ove rthe bark. worst mess i ever saw to try to thin. The are a hard tree to cut very hard. You guys ever here of shadow tree logging? Its a good method as well to promote the growth of black spruce. and by the way IAM CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Timberjackboy said:
and by the way IAM CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Yeah, it's hard to tell. :laugh:

No offense to all the other Canadians here, but I couldn't let that one slide!

Hey Guys, I'm still on vacation, but Elizabeth has give me 15 minutes online.

I popped in to see where the thread has gone. Stumper, Thanks for the detail about what it would take to assure miscibility- important point.

Two days ago My Dad said the oiler on his Husky 350 wasn't working. I told him it was probably a plastic $5 pinion gear stripped out. I pulled the clutch, and sure enough, that was the problem. It was a saw sold at Lowe's for $150, reconditioned, as-is. I said, "Dad, ya shoulda bought a couple of em." We went to a saw shop and got him a new gear.

Anyway, while pulling the thing apart, I was reintroduced to sticky, petroleum bar oil. It was Poulan brand bar oil, and it was way sticky. By the time I was done installing the new pinion gear, and cleaning and dressing the bar, I had oil all over my hands (wasn't wearing gloves), the front of my pants, top of my shoes and had little spatters on the concrete below me from cleaning out the guide rails. The little spatters, as they heated up in the Florida sun spread outward from a speck, to a dime-size mark, about a dozen of them staining his driveway.

It came back, so clearly, the reasons why I quit using sticky dino oil.

I called Functional Oil Products to gather the info we need, and they are closed through the end of the year, to reopen Monday. I have a call into them, and will follow up on Monday and get back with y'all. My 15 minutes is up and I've got a woman standing behind me...... uhhh, bye!

OK, I got the scoop. I spoke with Bill Wall at Functional Products and he was very helpful. I learned that Tack (at least the V-570 product) is made from a derivative of 'natural rubber'. It is added to vegetable oil (they specify canola oil) at a rate of 2-2.5%. Minimum purchase amount is a 5 gallon bucket, which contains approximately 35 pounds.

They do not package it in aliquots to use for mixing one-gallon portions. The amount needed to treat one gallon would be roughly 3 to 3-1/2 ounces. There are no specific mixing temperatures that need to be adhered to. It can be mixed in-jug, though it would be best to transfer both the canola oil, and the Tack into a dedicated jug, trickling in the tack in as you're pouring in the oil to obtain a complete mixing; makes sense.

The cost for the Tack is $2.08 per pound, which doing some quick math in my head, at one pound treating approximately 4-5 gallons tells me that the guys sellling bio oil for $!8.00 a gallon are just gonna frickin hate me.

Jim, How do we make a purchase? I probably only need a quart per year. Wanna sell me a gallon out of the 5gal bucket?

Back