Black Walnut help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had bids to stick build. They were out of reach so I took our plans to several modular manufacturers. Only one said they could do it.
IMG-20150121-00789.jpg

Very nice! The block pier should take any excessive weight off the joists! I posted not quite knowing if you had any plans in mind, but didn't doubt you did and for anyone looking into this idea. Seems many people, like the water beds from the past and now the hot tubs want to put them on inadequate decks or floors not really knowing whats needed.

I like the shed roof, not many houses like that and gives a nice modern look. What type of roofing and siding are you going with? Doing metal route like many these days?

I want to build someday in near future and am thinking smaller size house w/ big shop and board and batten siding and asphalt roof. Although metal is quick and easy, good resell. I just like looks of architetcual shingles a lot. I've got a big airless sprayer to restain the board and batten every 5 -10 yrs. Every things a trade off I guess, hardy board still not popular around here due to painting and costs. Still lot of upper end houses in vinyl. I don't mind it, if installed properly.

Keep pics coming if you're able to, many guys like this sort of stuff.

The roof will be shingles. The walls will be a mostly viynl for now. I'm doing a poly deck on the front entrance and I am going to use the same for a detail on the front corner of the second floor.

There was a big diiference in price between metal and shingles because metal would have had to be done on site where now a lot of the roof came with shingles from the factory. It was cool watching them drop some of the finished boxes in place.
IMG-20150119-00779.jpg

Very nice! The block pier should take any excessive weight off the joists! I posted not quite knowing if you had any plans in mind, but didn't doubt you did and for anyone looking into this idea. Seems many people, like the water beds from the past and now the hot tubs want to put them on inadequate decks or floors not really knowing whats needed.

I like the shed roof, not many houses like that and gives a nice modern look. What type of roofing and siding are you going with? Doing metal route like many these days?

I want to build someday in near future and am thinking smaller size house w/ big shop and board and batten siding and asphalt roof. Although metal is quick and easy, good resell. I just like looks of architetcual shingles a lot. I've got a big airless sprayer to restain the board and batten every 5 -10 yrs. Every things a trade off I guess, hardy board still not popular around here due to painting and costs. Still lot of upper end houses in vinyl. I don't mind it, if installed properly.

Keep pics coming if you're able to, many guys like this sort of stuff.
you don't just re-stain every couple of years..
it needs powerwashed and scrubbed to get all the grime outa the surface pores........don't seem like much when yer young, but it get's old as the years tick on.....
i used stained (from the factory) semplank, (sort of the same as hardy board/plank) when i built, most people tell me i'm full of **** when i tell em "it ain't wood, it's concrete"..
john was at my place last spring for the pa. gtg, i don't know if he paid attention to what it was or not..
comes with a 50 year warantee..
i've been here 13 years and have'nt had to touch it.......no grime.....no fading...

You do have a beautiful house Chuck. I was to absorbed with saws that day to really pay attention but I do like your fassad. I am going to use concrete panels in the rear under my patio area for where I build in my grill.

You do have a beautiful house Chuck. I was to absorbed with saws that day to really pay attention but I do like your fassad. I am going to use concrete panels in the rear under my patio area for where I build in my grill.
thanks john,
yea, we had alot of saw stuff going on that day..
now that i see your home design i can see why you wanted to incorporate the steel and wood in the same venue........

i DO THINK though, that yer gonna be kikkin yersalf in the ass for not puting a basement under it though ............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hope to see ya at this years gtg event................

John, if it's not too late, the type of bolt you were asking about is known as a flat head. They can be countersunk into the material for a flat finish, and generally have a recessed hex (Allen key) opening. Nice looking house design there, and the stairway should be a real center piece.

thanks john,
yea, we had alot of saw stuff going on that day..
now that i see your home design i can see why you wanted to incorporate the steel and wood in the same venue........

i DO THINK though, that yer gonna be kikkin yersalf in the ass for not puting a basement under it though ............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hope to see ya at this years gtg event................

You are probably the 20th person to tell me we should have done a basement haha. Ill be there this year Chuck.
John, if it's not too late, the type of bolt you were asking about is known as a flat head. They can be countersunk into the material for a flat finish, and generally have a recessed hex (Allen key) opening. Nice looking house design there, and the stairway should be a real center piece.

Yep, I got .75" flat heads from fastenal. Pricey little buggers.

You gotta hoe and didn't dig a basement!

You are spot on. I get the thought of why not just dig an extra couple feet, pour the walls and contcrete and have a basement. Meh, I still have an area that is below ground, that could possibly have moisture issues and I would still have to provide easement out of to pass code.

We added enough storage for what we need into the house as it is. The house we are in is large enough that if I fill our new house I have to much crap.

I finished welding the 3/8" plate this weekend. I used a length of 5" C-channel clamped at both ends of the plate with a .25" dowel in the center to pull the plate up while I welded. After it cooled I removed the channel and the stair plate relaxed back to plumb.

I should have some more pics this week after the drywall in the stair opening is finished and the stair supports are in place.

On that note, while I have some walnut air drying (curious why air drying looks better than kiln?), it's 2-3" thick and will need a year or two before it's done (according to what I have heard as rule of thumb for air drying). I also should have some white oak (which many of you know, I guess) and thought about using that. Thoughts? Very similar application.

Yellowbeard, kiln dried walnut tends to have a "gray" color to it and not "pop" as much with finish. I don't know any other wood that shows a difference (there may be many). I used to be part of a large woodturners club before I moved. You could tell bowls that were made with kilned dried lumber versus air dried from across the room.

You are spot on. I get the thought of why not just dig an extra couple feet, pour the walls and contcrete and have a basement. Meh, I still have an area that is below ground, that could possibly have moisture issues and I would still have to provide easement out of to pass code.

We added enough storage for what we need into the house as it is. The house we are in is large enough that if I fill our new house I have to much crap.

I finished welding the 3/8" plate this weekend. I used a length of 5" C-channel clamped at both ends of the plate with a .25" dowel in the center to pull the plate up while I welded. After it cooled I removed the channel and the stair plate relaxed back to plumb.

I should have some more pics this week after the drywall in the stair opening is finished and the stair supports are in place.

Yeah, basements leak, at least a lot of them do. That tar a lot of guys put on washes away after a while or a poor const footer drain clogs, usually a long while but def not a permanent fix. Flexible membrane is only way to go IMO and it just adds to cost. I've excavated house to install the membrane, do some crack repairing, all new drain tile made of solid PVC piping w/ clean out areas along runs. Previous builder had corrugated drain tile, no gravel for fill, and could barely tell evidence of tar coating. DONT FORGET RADON GAS! LOL.

One thing, atleast you can still access the bottom of house to fix a pipe or run a new elec line in the future. Sucks having everything buried in a concrete slab.

When I build I'm thinking no basement, but the idea of one is nice for the mechanicals so they're not in the garage, closet, or an attic.

Where's your furnace, attic? Biggest pet peeve I have if anyone cares, split level houses with basements that leak or moisture issues. Still no room for mechanicals and maintenance access and your bedrooms are in moldy areas.

Nice house pics! Glad to hear stairs are coming along

Where's your furnace, attic?
Air handler for heat pump and hot water heater are in a room off the garage. Finished all welding and priming of the steel today. Hopefully be able to take them to the house this week.

Got my 400a base and panels set this week. Its inspected and now waiting on power co to set transformer.

Back