Black Walnut Leaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't realize horses were sensitive to walnuts! I bet the homeowner doesn't either. She surely would have said something especially when it dumps the nuts in the corral.

She's not exactly friendly and I was trying to avoid mentioning it at all and just keeping the removal 100% on my property. I think I might just tell her my intentions and let her know that I'll have to at least drop the crown on her side and rig some pieces down. Hopefully she'll see the benefit of being proactive.

I didn't realize horses were sensitive to walnuts! I bet the homeowner doesn't either. She surely would have said something especially when it dumps the nuts in the corral.

She's not exactly friendly and I was trying to avoid mentioning it at all and just keeping the removal 100% on my property. I think I might just tell her my intentions and let her know that I'll have to at least drop the crown on her side and rig some pieces down. Hopefully she'll see the benefit of being proactive.
Safest and easiest is dismantle part of the fence temporally then let er rip, tater chip. 2 hr job, tops, no one gets hurt.

That's why I posted this here. When the guys who do it everyday say things like "Oh man, that's tough" it confirms that it's going to take a well thought out plan.

I'm experienced and well versed but don't do this every day. I've maintained two personal properties for 20 years that are in forestry totaling almost 40 acres. I have The right equipment, gear and climb SRT. I'm cautious, do my homework and I've dealt with countless dangerous trees but rarely do I have to deal with obstacles that I don't own.

The neighbor inheritated the property and brought her horses which is cool. I was very close with her mother who would have let me do anything on their property. The daughter isn't exactly trusting and most likely would have a problem with it. I'm certain she wouldn't let me remove a section of the fence. (Actually, the fence is about 2 years old and I really wish she would have let me know that it was coming as I would have dropped it immediately!!!!)

I'm considering chaining it just below the big fork and pulling on it with a dozer. I could always expose the roots on the lean side and cut them with the slack out of the chain before pulling. The ground is wet enough right now to do it. Seems safer relying on the stumps connection with the ground over a hinge. Thoughts on that?

This angle shows how far over the fence it is. Again, greatly appreciate everyone's insight.

Oh, well then I would just leave it til it fell then its her problem.

That tree isn't that difficult, if it's important to you hire a professional with insurance, if it's not worth paying to do just leave it. If it falls naturally what it going to do break a fence rail?
More chance of damaging something attempting to pull it over. That's a crap shoot.

Back