BLM land west of Roseburg, Oregon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
Anyone ever climbed in BLM forest west of Roseburg, Oregon?

We just found a new tallest live-top Doug fir in there, and we saw a lot of really tall, and big, old Pseudotsuga in some spots.

I'm not sure if climbing is allowed there, but it seems like it would be an okay area.

Would that happen to be the Doerner Fir? I don't know anything about climbing there, but I have seen that tree. Quite impressive!

Would that happen to be the Doerner Fir? I don't know anything about climbing there, but I have seen that tree. Quite impressive!

No, we found several others, the tallest being 322' and live-topped. The Doerner is 327' with plenty of dead-top on it.

But there's a lot of very nice looking Doug Firs in pockets there. The ones attached, are the first ones I glanced up at as we started to enter one section of the forest. Even in the small pic, the thick moss can be seen, connoting the age of these trees.

One thing that was unique ... driving toward the forest, who should we pass? But, Hank Williams, the man who discovered the Doerner Fir (aka Brummet Fir & Williams Fir). That was quite a coincidence.

186646d1307504680-z_doug_firs_600-jpg

View attachment 186646

Last edited:
That's interesting. I haven't really spent much time wandering around those parts much, aside from the one trip I made to see the Doerner. Do you have any other pictures of the trees you found? Also, what would you estimate (or calculate) the DBH on them? Just curious...

That's interesting. I haven't really spent much time wandering around those parts much, aside from the one trip I made to see the Doerner. Do you have any other pictures of the trees you found? Also, what would you estimate (or calculate) the DBH on them? Just curious...

The diameters of the tallest were in the 8' to 9' dbh range.

There are quite a few 6 footers up there in the 250 height range.

Latest posts

Back