Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pair of Hoffman boots already that I wear cutting now. I just don't know if it would be worth another $50 for the Hoffman over the Madsens/Whites.

It may be worth the extra 50 dollars since you already know what size to get.

It may be worth the extra 50 dollars since you already know what size to get.

Yeah the ones I got are a half size too small. I called and talked to them and measured my feet and they run a tiny bit smaller than they said so if any one is planning on a set of Hoffman the smoke chasers run a 1/2 size small.

If any of you have problems breakin' in boots, try this- Fill the boots up to above the ankles w/ Lima beans. then fill the rest of the way w/ water. The oils in the bean helps to soften the leather. I do mine the nigh before- leave them in the tub over night(to soak). dump the stew out in the morn. and were em' till they are dry. I found that changin' socks a couple times during the day really helps w/ the sore feet. There was this stuff we used to get called "Loggers world" it was a dark liquid type stuff that you would brush on. New boots bowed to it. We got ours from a saw shop, don't know if you can still get it, haven't seen it around in 10 yrs. or so

Interesting stuff. Never heard of this method.
Another way the old timers swore by was butter.
Just take out the foot bed, fill the boot up to the ankle with butter, and leave it there for 24 hours.
If I remember correctly it had to be non-salted and made from non-homgenized milk.

I wear Chippewa boots. Really like em.

Interesting stuff. Never heard of this method.
Another way the old timers swore by was butter.
Just take out the foot bed, fill the boot up to the ankle with butter, and leave it there for 24 hours.
If I remember correctly it had to be non-salted and made from non-homgenized milk.

I wear Chippewa boots. Really like em.

I've got a son-in-law that wears a 14 1/2 EEE. The butter to fill his boots to the ankle would cost more than the boots. :laugh:

Andy

i'm, not sticking nothing like butter or oil in my boots ,i did have a tight spot that wouldn't loosen up after a week by lh pinky toe ,looked at my toolbox saw some 3 in 1 oil soaked the area on the outside ,hour later softened right up ,did the other side shortly after just because it worked faster than soaking them with water on the outside ,stuff works on more than door hinges :msp_wink:

Bought an old worn pair of buffalo corks Gonna break them in this morning. Spent about 250 bucks less than what they cost new, hopefully I can get a year out of them.

Last edited:
Those boots are great, real comfortable. Now I need to treat the leather and get several replacement corks for the nubs. Time to search posts and gets some ideas on what to use for the leather.

Mink oil, Saddle soap, or Hubbard's boot oil. Sno-seal isn't what it used to be. The mink oil is my favorite, soaks in quick leaves it water proof, and lasts a long time. It has a disturbing color and consistency though...

Saddle soap is good for a quick rub down and to add a little shine. But it don't last long.

I have both the oil and paste obenaufs. It seems to work great and pretty much waterproof after a couple applications.

i start off with saddlesoap then switch to strait neatsfoot . i'm going to order a pair of red dawg caulks . the reg loggers i got have a couple months on them and broke in fast and are holding up good, wear them every day ,was worried that the heel's would roll out but are holding up . for the price can't beat them so far.

That's good to hear. I started to get a pair of corks from them but chickened out. I may get a pair of Madsens house brand or Hoffman's this winter. I think they will work good for hunting and cutting when I won't be on/off tractors.

That's good to hear. I started to get a pair of corks from them but chickened out. I may get a pair of Madsens house brand or Hoffman's this winter. I think they will work good for hunting and cutting when I won't be on/off tractors.

Wow i was thinking about ordering a pair from Madsens too but I was worried about buying boots that I didn't try on...My Chippewa super loggers are 10 years old now and I think I got my $200 out of them. I was thinking about caulks but didn't ever see or hear of anyone using them here in the east....I hate slipping on limbs under the snow. Have you ever tried them (Madsens brand) or anyone else want to chime in on them. My Chips are size 9 but seem large for 9's. Just wanted some feedback before I buy them.

Last edited:
Madsens are Whites as far as I know. I have Chippewas now and I think they run pretty close to red wings. The Hoffman are a half size short to me after wearing red wings for so long.

I can't speak to what they have on the shelf today, but the last pair of Madsen's house-brand boots I bought were Hoffmans, and they held up very well.

If that's the case that would be good also. I would know what size to get for sure that way.

Back