Bosch spark plug made in China

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I too, recall that.

Times have changed and Japan is right up there as far as quality and technology goes. I can see the day when China might change it's reputation, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. By the time it does happen, I'll be too old to care.

So, when are ya swapping out the Chinese made Zama's found on some/all of your Stihl's?? :p

So.... Ngk made in Japan is better than Bosch made in China?
I wouldn't have an ngk shoved up my azz if it had a million dollar check behind it.

b36c02cac1b3e246720a3caa2bf7bc7f.jpg

That plug had fewer than a tank through it. No warranty just a destroyed saw.

I wouldn't have an ngk shoved up my azz if it had a million dollar check behind it.

b36c02cac1b3e246720a3caa2bf7bc7f.jpg

That plug had fewer than a tank through it. No warranty just a destroyed saw.

I've seen guys get all hammer-fisted when it came to gaping a plug. Not saying that you did, but it does happen at times.

Yes, I too, recall that.

Times have changed and Japan is right up there as far as quality and technology goes. I can see the day when China might change it's reputation, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. By the time it does happen, I'll be too old to care.
You have very little idea where most things are made if one considers the parts that go into it. When it comes to electronic devices, any product is the end result of a vastly complex world wide supply chain that will most certainly include China in both design and manufacturing roles.

When it comes to things like spark plugs, I cannot imagine who in their right mind would want to manufacture such a thing - talk about a commodity widget with razor thin margins.

I've seen guys get all hammer-fisted when it came to gaping a plug. Not saying that you did, but it does happen at times.
This electrode let go in a brand new saw. It was brought in for repair. Like I said the saw had less than a tank through it and was toasted.

I've seen more than just that one fail. I use Bosch on everything and not a failure yet.

I've been using NGK for well over 40 yrs. I worked at a cycle shop at one time, and we sold um by the 10's of thousands over the years.

I suppose any plug will give you fits sooner or later. I can't say that every NGK I used was 100% perfect, but they were good enough that I kept buying them. Having said that, I still like them, a lot.

My 2003 BMW R1150 RT motorcycle came with Bosch Platinum spark plugs. After about one year, I pulled the plugs to check on them. One of the grounding electrodes was almost completely burned away. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Out came the Bosch's, and in went some reg. NGK plugs. No problems or issues since. I change um out about every two years or so, so I've gone thru some plugs. All have been fine.

I gave up on NGK a few years ago after a few bad ones coming through the bulk I was getting. Went Bosch 100% and never a plug problem since.

Thats why we have different stuff so each can buy what they want and trust. I give NGK's away to a friend that likes them.

Hell.....for some NGK plugs, I'll be your friend too! :)

i run bosch and NGK for decades , in recent years i have got a few of each new ones that wouldn't hit-- no matter how hot the coil was.

i would have at least tried the china bosch -

- the same mower that wouldn't hit a lick with the brazil bosch and japan NGKs started right up with a couple of these "farmer-tek" plugs from china-- that i got for free with my made in china saw parts--

i am running two of these plugs in my saws , one in a ms440 and the other in a 372XP -- so far they start fine and run very well-- pretty good i would say so far and they price was right-- they were basically a freebie--

if you going to replace all the china in that new stihl you going to have to rebuild it completely and probably build a few factories to make the parts .

if you want a ALL german sas you probably going to have to go to a 041 super -- or maybe a domar??

I've been using NGK for well over 40 yrs. I worked at a cycle shop at one time, and we sold um by the 10's of thousands over the years.

I suppose any plug will give you fits sooner or later. I can't say that every NGK I used was 100% perfect, but they were good enough that I kept buying them. Having said that, I still like them, a lot.

My 2003 BMW R1150 RT motorcycle came with Bosch Platinum spark plugs. After about one year, I pulled the plugs to check on them. One of the grounding electrodes was almost completely burned away. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Out came the Bosch's, and in went some reg. NGK plugs. No problems or issues since. I change um out about every two years or so, so I've gone thru some plugs. All have been fine.
Completely different application. We're talking about chainsaws, not motorcycles.

Completely different application. We're talking about chainsaws, not motorcycles.

Yeah, I was fully aware that I was talking about my m/c.

And you are right about completely different applications. Thing is, be it a chainsaw or a m/c, spark plugs still function the same in both.

Yeah, I was fully aware that I was talking about my m/c.

And you are right about completely different applications. Thing is, be it a chainsaw or a m/c, spark plugs still function the same in both.
Completely different conditions as well. Different style of plugs as well. If you want to use NGK because you think they're best thing on the market feel free. You've probably seen never seen a failure in saws as it's your hobby and sample size is small. I don't mean any disrespect by that either. But I will say that the 3 plug failures I've seen in the last year were NGK. And I quit using NGK long before then.

Completely different conditions as well. Different style of plugs as well. If you want to use NGK because you think they're best thing on the market feel free. You've probably seen never seen a failure in saws as it's your hobby and sample size is small. I don't mean any disrespect by that either. But I will say that the 3 plug failures I've seen in the last year were NGK. And I quit using NGK long before then.

Obviously, our experiences are different. I guess we'll just have to agree, to disagree.

This electrode let go in a brand new saw. It was brought in for repair. Like I said the saw had less than a tank through it and was toasted.
We had 2 such failures with the NGK plugs fitted in new saws, as we buy a lot of kit the dealer just replaced the saws (no questions asked) that was some years back & we've used Denso since The only brand of plug that has not had a problem of any type ( Saws used in a commercial set up )

Back