Bought a new hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peeled off three paper stickers and used WD40 to remove the glue. Waxed it with Johnson's Paste Wax before I took it out into the elements. Very pleased with the tool.

This thing is not for the timid. It demands you handle it with authority and man does it split. The Germans know how to make steel.

https://www.amazon.com/Ochsenkopf-H...1487449297&sr=8-6&keywords=ochsenkopf+hatchet

My 'wooding' buddy bought a Fiskars hatchet, used it once and won't touch it again - he's afraid he'll cut himself with it.

I have a Fiskars X7 and I'm amazed how well that little sucker splits wood. I'm not thrilled with the plastic handle tough. That Ochsenkopf is a whole other story, it looks like a well constructed beast.

Nice. Do tomahawks count as hatchets? My brother gave me one of these for my birthday last year. I haven't tried to chop anything with it but the spike sure is handy for lifting water meter covers. Ron

31ThPvo3HbL.jpg

Love my hatchets. Just ordered a fiskars, can't wait to try it out. The hype is killing me. Anyway, just picked up an $8 yellow (minus 20 percent coupon, so $6), plastic-handled hatchet at Harbour Freight. Bought it just to have fun grinding on and try different grinding methods to shape, sharpen, shine up, and maybe get a little polish out of it. You know, when life is too much, and you just have to get away.

Might even use it sometime to cut the little branches out of the way, or put it to truly noble use and tap in a wedge. (Sorry to delve into cheap-hatchet talk.) Well, I figure if the steel is a little soft it'll be that much easier to work on and sharpen, as long as it doesn't chip all to pieces or something when I try to actually use it.

And, I love the yellow plastic handle. Nice shape, size and feel. Probably give me blisters. Even has a nice hole in the end to snap it into your ring for climbing. (no, no, please, just kidding, don't do this!) I'll be able to find the bright yellow laying on the ground in the field without searching all over the place, even weeks later, or after a snowstorm, or in the Spring. (the handle will probably break off if I miss and hit it on a branch, and then I'll surely miss it) Anyway, this reminds me of a quote by Albert Einstein, "When you design and build something, make it as good as needed, but not any gooder than that!" I hope the handle doesn't break off.

Are those the same as the ones sold by stihl? I know ochsendorf makes the high end maul for stihl.

I am not sure. the New batch that we ordered look like the ones we had back in Germany, the style of the head that is. they sell for about 30.00 here

00008811912.jpg

Yes, that is the same as the Stihl hatchet but about 20 bucks overpriced. I'm on the fence about getting one myself...the heft seems a bit much for a hatchet and the ash handle puts me off. But I could see it being good for dedicated splitting duty. A proper hickory handle would sell it for me.

Latest posts

Back