Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the video with the saw in a piece of bigger wood. About 28" worth of Oak and you can see that it shows its a 50cc saw now but still not bad at all.

I was leaning on it some and it took it pretty well.

<embed src="http://img215.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=P886i" width="320" height="260" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/><br/>
<a href="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/Modifiedmark">[More videos from Modifiedmark]</a>

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6035/886i.mp4

.325 on a 16'' bar with a MM and retuned carb to match and it'd be a whole other saw and for 200 bucks I don't think anybody could go wrong!

Here is the video with the saw in a piece of bigger wood. About 28" worth of Oak and you can see that it shows its a 50cc saw now but still not bad at all.

I was leaning on it some and it took it pretty well.

<embed src="http://img215.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=P886i" width="320" height="260" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/><br/>
<a href="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/Modifiedmark">[More videos from Modifiedmark]</a>

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6035/886i.mp4

Certainly I was very curious about this new 5020, EXCELLENT THREAD, Since nothing over 42 cc is on their website STILL... It seems they are discontinuing the the 4620 as far as I can tell..., I don't see many 4620's on ebay or amazon anymore, but lots of these 5020's. It seemed to do well enough, not bad at all I agree, I think it is priced right and they will sell a lot at that price. Good cheapskate saw, next step up you are at $400 for a farm boss or similiar. If I was in the market... I would personally choose the re-manufactured Husqvarna rancher 455 over this at $299 (showing up everywhere including local dealerships, local Winsted dealership actually advertising them on craigslist). 50% more and technically re-manufactured, to me $100 is not a lot more money as you are getting more. The Poulan's typically seem look/feel kinda like toys, well, it is hitting it's intended budget homeowner consumer who will just pick up something at home depot / lowes rather than checking out the local power shop or ebay. This saw is heavier than old 295/4620 which loses some appeal and makes 455 (for right price) more appealing

That saw would be transformed with a loop of good .325 on a 16" bar. Homeowner saws always seem to be sold with longer than ideal bars. The extra 'inches' seem to be a selling point. I'm sure market research has been done, with the current way of things being the result. I have noticed that the majority of CL ads where 'non-chainsaw' people are listing saws have the bar (or "blade") length as an important element. Often times, the saw will be advertised as "20 inch blade chainsaw" or similar. They will almost always state the bar length, even when omitting all other details (such as make and model).....:laugh:

Agreed w/ the sales pitch, that the bigger the bar the bigger the saw, and it works well.
But when these are engineered I don't think thats what the goal was. I think it was made for the "reach". If you think about it most home owners are going to buy that saw for the limbs that fall in the yard. Or for the occasional dead tree.
When the tree is on the ground you don't have to bend over as far.
My 3750 "Tim Allen" 60cc's 22'' was GREAT for this, but bury it in big wood it would fall on its face, it would cut it just not fast.
Once again they are good for what they are.

That saw would be transformed with a loop of good .325 on a 16" bar. Homeowner saws always seem to be sold with longer than ideal bars. The extra 'inches' seem to be a selling point. I'm sure market research has been done, with the current way of things being the result. I have noticed that the majority of CL ads where 'non-chainsaw' people are listing saws have the bar (or "blade") length as an important element. Often times, the saw will be advertised as "20 inch blade chainsaw" or similar. They will almost always state the bar length, even when omitting all other details (such as make and model).....:laugh:

Agree, all in the marketing. And then, worst of all I have seen some internet advise articles asking what size chainsaw they need. The reply will be based on the bar length rather than CC!

Certainly I was very curious about this new 5020, EXCELLENT THREAD, Since nothing over 42 cc is on their website STILL... It seems they are discontinuing the the 4620 as far as I can tell..., I don't see many 4620's on ebay or amazon anymore, but lots of these 5020's. It seemed to do well enough, not bad at all I agree, I think it is priced right and they will sell a lot at that price. Good cheapskate saw, next step up you are at $400 for a farm boss or similiar. If I was in the market... I would personally choose the re-manufactured Husqvarna rancher 455 over this at $299 (showing up everywhere including local dealerships, local Winsted dealership actually advertising them on craigslist). 50% more and technically re-manufactured, to me $100 is not a lot more money as you are getting more. The Poulan's typically seem look/feel kinda like toys, well, it is hitting it's intended budget homeowner consumer who will just pick up something at home depot / lowes rather than checking out the local power shop or ebay. This saw is heavier than old 295/4620 which loses some appeal and makes 455 (for right price) more appealing
The weight is probably the biggest strike against it IMO. My screaming 46cc Poulan is a 10.6lb powerhead, and is still pretty light with a narrow 20" bar. It does start to narrow the gap to the 455.

Sorry, I have to disagree with the part about $100 being "not alot more money".

That might hold true to you but I know alot of people who would think that $100 is ALOT more money. In fact most of the people that this saw would be targeted to would think that.

Remember that I bought this saw for $179 so that is $120 less then the referb 455 which you speak of. I'm not good at figureing percentages but I would think the 455 would be around 35% more.

Another thing a consumer would look at would be a warranty. This new Poulan has a 2 year warranty while I think the referb 455's would have a 30 day warranty. This would most definatly be a decision maker for alot of people. A refurb with a 30 day warranty? or a new saw with a 2 year warranty for $100 or so less? You tell me which way most will go. I mean they both have a 20" blade right? :laugh:

Speaking of that, you should have seen the wierd look I got from the store clerk when I was paying for this 5020. She asked me if I was interested in paying for the extended warranty for this and I told her no, that I would more then likely be voiding the warranty on this as soon as I got it home anyway. :ices_rofl:

Agreed w/ the sales pitch, that the bigger the bar the bigger the saw, and it works well.
But when these are engineered I don't think thats what the goal was. I think it was made for the "reach". If you think about it most home owners are going to buy that saw for the limbs that fall in the yard. Or for the occasional dead tree.
When the tree is on the ground you don't have to bend over as far.
My 3750 "Tim Allen" 60cc's 22'' was GREAT for this, but bury it in big wood it would fall on its face, it would cut it just not fast.
Once again they are good for what they are.

No the 20" is for marketing pure and simple but like we see it will run the 20". That its easier to limb with is just a side benefit.

All in all though, you guys are bringing up good points and I think this thread is turning out well.

I spent my money to see for myself what is going on with these saws, not here to tear it down or defend it, just asess the facts.

Last edited:
Mark this is one of the best threads I have read on here in quite awhile, you have done a great job at keeping it objective. I watched the video and it seems that it did just fine. I am with Randy on this one, I bet some modding will make it a keeper that will keep up with a lot of "better" saws. As said, it looks like a decent saw for the price. As long as it is taken care of, I think they would do just fine for the average home owner.

Sorry, I have to disagree with the part about $100 being "not alot more money".

That might hold true to you but I know alot of people who would think that $100 is ALOT more money. In fact most of the people that this saw would be targeted to would think that.

Remember that I bought this saw for $179 so that is $120 less then the referb 455 which you speak of. I'm not good at figureing percentages but I would think the 455 would be around 35% more.

Another thing a consumer would look at would be a warranty. This new Poulan has a 2 year warranty while I think the referb 455's would have a 30 day warranty. This would most definatly be a decision maker for alot of people. A refurb with a 30 day warranty? or a new saw with a 2 year warranty for $100 or so less? You tell me which way most will go. I mean they both have a 20" blade right? :laugh:

Speaking of that, you should have seen the wierd look I got from the store clerk when I was paying for this 5020. She asked me if I was interested in paying for the extended warranty for this and I told her no, that I would more then likely be voiding the warranty on this as soon as I got it home anyway. :ices_rofl:

No the 20" is for marketing pure and simple but like we see it will run the 20". That its easier to limb with is just a side benefit.

All in all though, you guys are bringing up good points and I think this thread is turning out well.

I spent my money to see for myself what is going on with these saws, not here to tear it down or defend it, just asess the facts.

Your right $100 is alot to most people today.
I've ran a 455 they are no slouch. IMO If I was selling saws I would not recommed a 455 to a user that has never ran a chainsaw before.
But the 5020 and the like, is what I would recommend for a first time user. Thus consumer saw. Its not small and chincy to the point were its not concidered "dangerious", but its not over powering.
Most of the ol' timers I know don't like big saws or aggressive chains, and watch every cent of their fixed income, so this would be perfect for them also.

I'm really glad that we can still dicuss this type of saw here. They are fun and have a purpose.

I agree. Thank you, Mark, for being the guinea pig and buying one of these to give it a proper review. A saw like this will appeal to Joe Homeowner for the reach of the "blade". I have been tempted to buy one of these saws so I could check it out and once I was done with it, sell it to a Joe Homeowner friend of mine who would use it but not abuse it. It certainly would blend in on the bench masquerading as my 4620(to my wife anyways) better than my 24" 4000 did.

Do I see a build-off competition in this saws future?:blob2:

Nick

I do need a saw now a days...looks like it would fit my bill perfect.

Btw mark is that a green Tillman welding jacket your wearing??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Your right $100 is alot to most people today.
I've ran a 455 they are no slouch. IMO If I was selling saws I would not recommed a 455 to a user that has never ran a chainsaw before.
But the 5020 and the like, is what I would recommend for a first time user. Thus consumer saw. Its not small and chincy to the point were its not concidered "dangerious", but its not over powering.
Most of the ol' timers I know don't like big saws or aggressive chains, and watch every cent of their fixed income, so this would be perfect for them also.

I'm really glad that we can still dicuss this type of saw here. They are fun and have a purpose.

But if $100 is going to break the bank, I would suggest getting a number of homeowner saws off craigslist for under $100, the market is still flooded with them after the storms at least in the northeast. It is tough to sell a homeowner saw for over $100 once it is used unless you find a sucker, usually sell for $75 to $100 for exceptionally clean saw Often people buy these things to clean up storm damage and never need again. If going to be really cheap why not look at used, nice thing about used it's then mostly depreciated. Well, its a very in the middle saw at $200 and seems to be high for a homeowner saw. I would not find one used to just see what could get out for power with muffler mod, ect

But if $100 is going to break the bank, I would suggest getting a number of homeowner saws off craigslist for under $100, the market is still flooded with them after the storms at least in the northeast. It is tough to sell a homeowner saw for over $100 once it is used unless you find a sucker, usually sell for $75 to $100 for exceptionally clean saw Often people buy these things to clean up storm damage and never need again. If going to be really cheap why not look at used, nice thing about used it's then mostly depreciated. Well, its a very in the middle saw at $200 and seems to be high for a homeowner saw. I would not find one used to just see what could get out for power with muffler mod, ect

you aren't getting it, are you? We are talking new saws, with warranty.

you aren't getting it, are you? We are talking new saws, with warranty.

I am getting it, playing devil's advocate to really figure out why someone would buy this saw.

I figured on this actual site, 90% of people will be picking these up for $20 to $40 after homeowner leave gas and gums up them and sells at tag sale,ect. Pluck them up and toy with them to get more power, or use as a truly almost for nothing saw. Once you are on this site you are usually more informed of chainsaws that is why so many hate Poulan's, if on a site like this a lot of chainsaw connosiers. My assumption: This saws intended audience is primarily homeowner with X big tree falls down in yard, they want to save money and not pay to take care of it, go to home depot and buy the biggest cheapest saw they can get, a 20"! (saving money is the point, why waste it buying a Stihl, ect) Use saw to cut up that tree, have no use for it after that. They are then very happy, the saw paid fo itself and some after one tree, if they can sell on CL, the extra money is gravy!

this site has actually made me want to get some cheap poulan to fix up and stick in my toolbox :msp_sneaky:
a woodshark or wild thing type saw. i'd probably end up using it more than I think.:D

Mark, good thread. Looks like Poulan may be taking a shot at a bigger part of the market, good move on their part, IMHO.

Anyhow, after watching the video's, I would consider changine to .325" and dropping the bar back to 18", or at least going back to 18" and putting a better chain on it. I thought it was mentioned someplace that it was outfitted with the "folded over dorsal fin" chain. Those chains just don't work well, and each time you sharpen them, they get a little worse.

IMHO, it will really start to show it's colors if the bar/chain was sized better to the power output of the saw. I have quite a few 50-55cc saws in my line-up, and none of them are real happy with a 20" bar and 3/8" full chisel chains on them. They work fine, but take on a whole new character when you drop back to .325" and an 18" bar.

I say this because most of what we cut here are tops, left over from logging operations. For this type of work, 50cc saws have proven to the be the best overall choice. When we get into bucking up some bog logs, the big saws come out of the truck.....Cliff

this site has actually made me want to get some cheap poulan to fix up and stick in my toolbox :msp_sneaky:
a woodshark or wild thing type saw. i'd probably end up using it more than I think.:D

this site inspired me to hop up my Poulan 295 to be a decent saw. Got it for free, needed a little work and once running I was like, wow these new saws sure are junk, I mean my old free homelite runs better, but then found the info here to mod the Poulan and make it decent

I think Poulan should somehow run the chains in. Lots of complaints on amazon reviews from inexperience homeowners about how chains keep loosening up, not necessarily the adjuster all the time, just it's a new chain, that needs tightening a few times after first uses. The idea of having to fiddle with something new is counterintuitive, Have the chains already stretched and ready to go I think would make many first time users very happy

Back