Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sale is on through 21 December - take advantage of it and order for in store or home shipping.

I checked my local lowes, absolutely no pp5020AVs on sale here, full price only, and they don't even carry them in stock anyway, just the smaller poulans. Double rats, I was gonna scoot over and snag one.

If you can get the Efco, new, in 56cc displacement for $200, please turn me onto your source

Sorry for high jacking the thread, the Deere isn't new, but looks like good condition.

Basically the question ends up being, buy a new saw or wait for a deal in a used pro saw, which is relevant in this thread. The answer seems to be buy used.

Sorry for high jacking the thread, the Deere isn't new, but looks like good condition.

Basically the question ends up being, buy a new saw or wait for a deal in a used pro saw, which is relevant in this thread. The answer seems to be buy used.

Thanks for the clarification; you had us drooling for a while.

I recently had to make a choice. An Echo CS-590, listed on CL as new for $200.00 (about two hours round trip drive with good traffic), or a low-hour Makita DCS-6421 (former Home Depot saw, via a pawn shop) for $230.00 total. I bought the Makita.

Thanks for the clarification; you had us drooling for a while.

I recently had to make a choice. An Echo CS-590, listed on CL as new for $200.00 (about two hours round trip drive with good traffic), or a low-hour Makita DCS-6421 (former Home Depot saw, via a pawn shop) for $230.00 total. I bought the Makita.
Two hour round trip is worth much more than 30$ in my book! Even if it was across the street I would have chosen the same. So how does it run?

Just got done running the 5020. Runs great! Had to adjust the engine idle speed but cuts like a knife through butter. Can't compare to other saws though because this is my first. Sorry no pics or vids yet. Worried more about being safe

Two hour round trip is worth much more than 30$ in my book! Even if it was across the street I would have chosen the same. So how does it run?

In Houston traffic (which SUCKS), especially where the Echo was located, two hours RT was optimistic.

It runs great. It's hard to explain, but the Makita DCS-6421 "feels" tight & solid like a pro saw should. Which is not a slam on the PP5020 (about $200.00 new) or even the Echo CS-590 ($400.00 new), it's just that the 6421 is clearly made for heavy pro use.

I did find out the chain is really dull and the rakers definately need to be taken down. But only after I went help a neighbor with a few quick cuts :oops:.

Are they really that good of a deal for $100? Tsc has 4820 refurbs on sale for 100 canadian pesos all the time here.

Would I be better off with that or a Deere (efco) cs56 for similar money?

That right, I just quoted myself!

So I picked up the used Deere(efco) cs57 for $20 more than the PP4820.

It's in decent shape, used by a farmer (like 99% of the Deere saws), but had a few thing that need attention.

1. Kill switch wires were grounding out
2. Top cover and recoil bolt are hex head and need to be replaced
3. 2 of the recoil bolts holes are stripped and need helicoils
4. Chain was dull and bar needed to be dressed

Having said that this saw rips! I'm thoroughly impressed with the performance of it.

I'm not trying to further high jack the thread, only posted this here to fairly represent the value of the PP saws. Buy them and this is stuff you don't have to worry about, fuel it up and go!

I am new to this site and have been doing a lot of reading of some very informative posts and wanted to let anyone interested that Tractor Supply in SW Pennsylvania has this saw on sale for $169.99 through Dec 15.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/poulan-pro-pp-5020-av-20-in-chainsaw

I was at Lowes and they had the sign up showing the 5020 on clearance for $99.99. I didn't see any in stock other than the display. Since I have the Craftsman version, and plenty of 50cc class saws, I didn't ask about a price for the display (missing gas cap and bar nuts). I might when I go back to return the light switch that I can't use.

I was at Lowes and they had the sign up showing the 5020 on clearance for $99.99. I didn't see any in stock other than the display. Since I have the Craftsman version, and plenty of 50cc class saws, I didn't ask about a price for the display (missing gas cap and bar nuts). I might when I go back to return the light switch that I can't use.
Amazing what people will steal off a display model. I've seen it many times but WTH.

Mine was missing the gas cap too. I just had them take one off another display for me. :D

I know this is an old thread, but purchased one about 4 years ago and I've used it regularly for firewood. I've modded the V72 chain by grinding the guids at 0 angle so as the guide is lower then the cutting edge of the bit. Also the spring in the clutch has been ditched. It came out some how and bound up in the bell and I had to pull it. I haven't noticed any problems yet, but the chain does get stuck easier.

Well I'm new to this forum but just bought one also. It was not tuned when I got it. Also the thing just poured bar oil out the bottom. I tuned the carb and took the bar off (the nuts were way over torqued). Wiped off the bar plates and reassembled. The saw rips pretty good. I'll doesn't run out the bottom at idle like it did before. 2 tanks of gas down and is now a 2 pull machine cold. It feels real tight yet, cant wait to see how it runs after break in

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I bought one to get me out of a pinch like 2 weeks ago, long story short I was on a job and for some reason the 2 stihls I brought would not run when they ran fine the day before, not a dealer for miles and miles but there was a pawn shop within 20 mins closest place with equipment and I came across this poulan for 115 and it ran well and I know I took a big risk doing it this way but I bought it and completed my job, several pines nothing bigger than 18 inches. I was really sweatin it with the decision i made at the time, not really a short story sorry

my wife bought me one 4 years ago.. I cleared an entire "forest" of overgrowth and trees and such on our property, and was very pleased with the saw. I ran it hard and for quite a while and it always started and ran just fine. the only problem I ever ran into with it was the carb falling out of tune, you have to have a special spline tool to adjust it (like 10 bucks for it). I cut so much wood with it that it finally gave out on me after about 2 years of hard running. I completely rebuilt the saw for roughly 50 bucks. then after all that it got stolen from me... I went on ebay and ordered a brand new one for 129 bucks, it has been running perfectly as well. I was pleased with the value of the saw and the ease of rebuilding it. very simple saw and easy to work on. if you tear it apart to the engine, you will see the Husqvarna symbol all over it. i didn't know they manufactured the poulan's.. I believe it to be the best "homeowner grade" saw out there. when the one I have now finally goes south on me, I will buy another on without hesitation.

Noodle,
Two years and it was dead? How many hours/tanks do you think it ran? How many acres you clear? What did it in finally? What did the piston and cylinder look like?

Some guys will get 20 years and 10 hours out of a saw. Other will get 2 years and 1000 hours out of the same one.

So here's an observation, I finished the 3rd tank through this thing and it's been cutting real well. I figured I'd take a look at the plug to make sure it's not too lean. A few posts ago I mentioned that the bar nuts were way over torqued,I just figured some guy building poulans was either been working out, an idiot or mad at his boss. No big deal and I figure I'll get a new chain, no visual damage... Whatever. So I go to pull the plug and it's in there too tight to pull with the skrench by hand.
I grab a 7/8 end wrench as a breaker and can flex the handle of the skrench but no luck. No joke flex quite a bit. Now I know that I can get the plug out, but should I take it back now before I remove the plug and a large Chunk of the jug or what. I. Like this saw and have it tubed nice, if the plug bust loose without messing up the threads great but what if it does? I bought it at home despots, if I raise a stink would they honor the warranty? Or should I make them honor it now and start over with tuning and breaking in another one?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back