Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, I'm not going along with this description of Joe Homeowner as some incompetent slouch, buying tools and beating them up and throwing them away or returning them. I know that happens, but I doubt it's the norm. I was trying to describe it earlier but I don't think I did it well. I think it has more to do with the fact that Joe Homeowner isn't a saw enthusiast, and maybe not a great mechanic, but may still try to take good care of his tools.

The picture I was trying to paint was from my own childhood. Dad had 25 acres to take care of, and in the 70's we were heating partially with wood like a lot of folks during the first energy crisis. But the general level of affluence was different (partly people's reluctance to buy things on credit, and partly because a saw like this would have cost relatively more then), and people would not have felt the need to buy pro-grade equipment, let alone be able to afford it. Without the internet they probably would not have known what any of it was. So if we needed something like a chainsaw, he bought ONE saw, from Sears or a local hardware store. It wouldn't have been a pro saw, but something like this would have been perfect. And that was what we had to work with, and it did work. And we tried to take care of it, often with out the knowledge like we have access to here on AS, but they usually lasted a pretty long time - and we didn't run out and get the latest model every time one came out, we used what we had. As I got older I did the maintenance and repair, because I was interested and better at it. But you know, where was a country teenager in the 70's going to find out all the detail stuff we talk about here? So likely it was not maintained or tuned quite right.

Anyway, I know a lot of you guys my age can relate to that time and mindset. Not everyone needs mag cased pro saw. I don't, and if I ever get one it won't be new and will probably need fixing. A saw like this will do most everything I need, even the 24"-32" stuff I have to do now but much more slowly. I'm the target customer for this saw, and other than the weight (not a big deal) it's a step up from my 46cc Poulan 2775, which pulls its 20" bar just fine. Now with Mark's review I'd have no problems buying one. But my existing stuff works well so I won't.

Under $200,

It should be fine for the guy who buys it to cut a few downed linbs, then lets it sit for years with gas in it.

The vid in the Oak was a little painful, but it DID get it done. (wonder if it would last after a couple dozen of those sustained cuts in succession)

Not a real liteweight, but should keep a guy in firewood for a few years, or not.

Good review Mark.

I do need a saw now a days...looks like it would fit my bill perfect.

Btw mark is that a green Tillman welding jacket your wearing??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its just a frc (fire resistent clothing) that we have to use at work.

Not really a welding jacket but they are used alot for that.

Mark, good thread. Looks like Poulan may be taking a shot at a bigger part of the market, good move on their part, IMHO.

Anyhow, after watching the video's, I would consider changine to .325" and dropping the bar back to 18", or at least going back to 18" and putting a better chain on it. I thought it was mentioned someplace that it was outfitted with the "folded over dorsal fin" chain. Those chains just don't work well, and each time you sharpen them, they get a little worse.

IMHO, it will really start to show it's colors if the bar/chain was sized better to the power output of the saw. I have quite a few 50-55cc saws in my line-up, and none of them are real happy with a 20" bar and 3/8" full chisel chains on them. They work fine, but take on a whole new character when you drop back to .325" and an 18" bar.

I say this because most of what we cut here are tops, left over from logging operations. For this type of work, 50cc saws have proven to the be the best overall choice. When we get into bucking up some bog logs, the big saws come out of the truck.....Cliff

I agree with most all of that Cliff, but once again what you and I would do is not really relevent here as most who would buy this is not going to want to spend more money to change bars and chains on it just to use it.

It seems most all saws being aimed at the consumer/homowner/farm market are equipped with some sort of safety chain or another and some are alot worse then the Vanguard 72V chain that is used on this one. Some of the Stihl safety chain comes to mind.

Like I said before, at this point I dont see a easy conversion to a rim or a .325 spur on this saw, so what you have is a 3/8's chain, for better or worse.

Under $200,

It should be fine for the guy who buys it to cut a few downed linbs, then lets it sit for years with gas in it.

The vid in the Oak was a little painful, but it DID get it done. (wonder if it would last after a couple dozen of those sustained cuts in succession)

Not a real liteweight, but should keep a guy in firewood for a few years, or not.

Good review Mark.

Yeah it probably a little painful for most here to watch in that bigger wood, but like I said I was leaning on it a little more then would useally be done. Face it, it kept pulling and pulling and most who have not run a 346 or 5100 would not know the difference and would be thinkig that it was doing good.

In fact for pulling full 20" with 3/8's in Oak, I think it was doing a pretty damn good job in hardwood. I have seen other 50cc big name brand saws that wouldnt do any better or even as good. The Jonsered 520 that I had comes to mind.

As far as holding up, I really dont see any really weak spots in its construction, a clamshell is a clamshell, and brgs and such dont go out in them any faster then in a pro saw do they?

I can bet you that I will never get enough time on this myself to ever answer the hold up over time question and someone else will have to report on that later.

Just so most folks know, the Vanguard chains seem fine first outing or so, then their performance goes WAY down as the teeth get smaller. I bought my first loop of VG in a hurry one day at TSC, and thought that I was using bad files as the more I sharpened it, the worse it got. That experience was repeated when I went thru the trials and tribulations with the three Poulan 330's that we tested here. Even with the 330's, it as a BIG upgrade modifying a Husky 18" bar and dropping back to 18" 3/8" full chisel on them.

Husqvarna chose to outfit their very popular 55 Rancher saws with 20" bars and 3/8 set-ups, and continued this trend with 455's. WAY too much bar/chain for those saws, at least if you are in a hurry and want maximum cutting efficiency for the power available.

The Poulan you have there appears to fall into the same catagory. Looks fine on the first videa in small material, and has it's tongue hanging out in the 28" log, which is to be expected for a 50cc saw no matter who made it......Cliff

this site has actually made me want to get some cheap poulan to fix up and stick in my toolbox :msp_sneaky:
a woodshark or wild thing type saw. i'd probably end up using it more than I think.:D

Welcome to my current thoughts... WoodShark 2.0 for truck saw... and probably use it more than I figured I would, lol. Momma would love to see me bringing firewood home everyday... :D

Just got back from the "Save Big Money" store here in Kansas. They didnt have that model. Shame because I wanted to have a look-see. Maybe in time.

Just so most folks know, the Vanguard chains seem fine first outing or so, then their performance goes WAY down as the teeth get smaller. I bought my first loop of VG in a hurry one day at TSC, and thought that I was using bad files as the more I sharpened it, the worse it got. That experience was repeated when I went thru the trials and tribulations with the three Poulan 330's that we tested here. Even with the 330's, it as a BIG upgrade modifying a Husky 18" bar and dropping back to 18" 3/8" full chisel on them.

Husqvarna chose to outfit their very popular 55 Rancher saws with 20" bars and 3/8 set-ups, and continued this trend with 455's. WAY too much bar/chain for those saws, at least if you are in a hurry and want maximum cutting efficiency for the power available.

The Poulan you have there appears to fall into the same catagory. Looks fine on the first videa in small material, and has it's tongue hanging out in the 28" log, which is to be expected for a 50cc saw no matter who made it......Cliff

Although we should probably start a new thread on this, I believe most of the Vanguard issue is people don't know how to sharpen them (knock down the rakers). I am still not sure either, but I did knock down the rakers and you have to basically do it on almost an angle, I did it and it really bites, it is just a matter of just making sure you knock down the rakers

Although we should probably start a new thread on this, I believe most of the Vanguard issue is people don't know how to sharpen them (knock down the rakers). I am still not sure either, but I did knock down the rakers and you have to basically do it on almost an angle, I did it and it really bites, it is just a matter of just making sure you knock down the rakers

There was a thread on this just a bit ago and you are correct, "IF" you know how to file the rakers its not bad.

Mark, was the chain stamped with Husqvarna or was it run o' mill Oregon?

Jeff, I'll look but I'm almost certain it Oregon branded.

"There was a thread on this just a bit ago and you are correct, "IF" you know how to file the rakers its not bad."

It's good for two or three outings followed by sharpening the chain in between, then cutting efficiency starts to deteriorate rapidly, even IF you know how to sharpen a chain and lower rakers, etc. The surface area of the "folded over dorsal fin" rakers doesn't get smaller/narrower in diameter proportionally to the cutting teeth diameter with each sharpening. In other words you will continue to experience diminishing returns, unless you know a way around the basic laws of physics?

I agree that at best those chains are OK, but not on par anyplace with 3/8" full chisel chains that lack any safety features at all.

I don't fully agree that this should be another topic, IF one is evaluating the performance of the 50cc saw in question here that is already outfitted with a tad too much bar for the cc's, AND a chain that is just "OK"......IMHO....Cliff

So is there any 18" bars that will fit it? I guess I could keep the 3/8s chain on it. Be a lot happier with .325, I'd imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most home owners that would buy this saw might pick up a spare chain.
Just because, or so they have a spare, or to switch out when dull, so that there is something on the saw while the other chain is being sharpened.
Most of the time the spare that is picked up is recommended by someone (sound familiar? AS), and becomes there "GOOD" chain.

As far as used saws goes, if your looking at a new saw its because your sick of fiddling w/ your old free/used/handmedown/ect.

If this saw was available when I was in the market for a new saw I would of bought it and never found AS, thus saving me a couple thousand dollars, and saving me from alot of in front of the computer time.
Not to mention some awkward conversations at work. :msp_blushing:(come to find out not every one is a chainsaw enthusiast):msp_confused:

Not to mention some awkward conversations at work. :msp_blushing:(come to find out not every one is a chainsaw enthusiast):msp_confused:
LOL - I've been there a long time so all the guys know I'm nuts anyway, but, yeah, not everyone wants to hear about chainsaws. Dunno what's wrong with 'em.

Ha! I had a new saw delivered to me at my shop one time. Everybody started real getting concerned when I filled the tanks, fired it up, and was tuning it. I had old guys come up to me asking why in the world I had a saw, and they couldn't believe I was going to be cutting down trees. When I was carrying it out to the car one of them told me to "Be real careful with that thing, they are so dangerous." They didn't know it was my third saw.

Nick

Ha! I had a new saw delivered to me at my shop one time. Everybody started real getting concerned when I filled the tanks, fired it up, and was tuning it. I had old guys come up to me asking why in the world I had a saw, and they couldn't believe I was going to be cutting down trees. When I was carrying it out to the car one of them told me to "Be real careful with that thing, they are so dangerous." They didn't know it was my third saw.

Nick

:laugh: In NH owning a saw is like owning a truck.

LOL - I've been there a long time so all the guys know I'm nuts anyway, but, yeah, not everyone wants to hear about chainsaws. Dunno what's wrong with 'em.

I don't think its us its "THEM". :crazy1:

"Not to mention some awkward conversations at work. (come to find out not every one is a chainsaw enthusiast)"

I have some friends who own property, chain saw(s), and cut wood on occassion. Most of them are professionals at one career or another, and quite intelligent. IF you ask any of them what size saw they own or just bought, they will IMMEDIATELY answer 20" (or whatever bar length it has). They will seldom know the model number, and it's a rare as a lottery ticket if the know the engine displacement, power ratings, or any other specs about the saw, such as what pitch the chain is and how many drive links it has, etc.

Most AS members will know quite a bit about, if not most of the specifics on their chain saw and other power equipement, sort of like a Muscle Car enthusiast knows the spec's of the engine he just built for his 69 Chevelle......Cliff

Great review and thread, Mark! Thanks a lot!
I have to say I was damn impressed with that saw in the Oak! I pulled a lot better than I imagined it would! This may very well become my next home owner recommended saw! I used to push the MS180 for that role.
I had a land owner ask me what to buy, 16 acres bunches of brush wood, piss Elms 6" and smaller. He was at a home improvement store and picked up Hitachi as an impulse buy. He hates it already.
This is aimed at the "Tim Allen" market, Joe homeowner has a branch, a tree, needs some firewood, wants to feel manly for the weekend type. This saw will get used twice a year at best, the owner will figure out how much work is really involved and be happy to put his suit back on Monday.
We are WAY over analyzing this saw here, it's not meant for us, it's not even meant for the Consumer Reports crowd, it's for someone on an impulse or needs something right now and the Home improvement store is open and this saw grabbed his eye. He's done no research, doesn't care, but it's got a big bar so it must be the baddest thing in the store!
The fact that it runs as good as it does sure doesn't hurt a damn thing!

Great review and thread, Mark! Thanks a lot!
I have to say I was damn impressed with that saw in the Oak! I pulled a lot better than I imagined it would! This may very well become my next home owner recommended saw! I used to push the MS180 for that role.
I had a land owner ask me what to buy, 16 acres bunches of brush wood, piss Elms 6" and smaller. He was at a home improvement store and picked up Hitachi as an impulse buy. He hates it already.
This is aimed at the "Tim Allen" market, Joe homeowner has a branch, a tree, needs some firewood, wants to feel manly for the weekend type. This saw will get used twice a year at best, the owner will figure out how much work is really involved and be happy to put his suit back on Monday.
We are WAY over analyzing this saw here, it's not meant for us, it's not even meant for the Consumer Reports crowd, it's for someone on an impulse or needs something right now and the Home improvement store is open and this saw grabbed his eye. He's done no research, doesn't care, but it's got a big bar so it must be the baddest thing in the store!
The fact that it runs as good as it does sure doesn't hurt a damn thing!

Hey Sawin, I just picked up a Stihl 25" saw. Is that a good one? :laugh:

Back