Bought a new Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, after reading lots of posts here, and making a few posts concerning a new saw, and getting lots of good feedback from you guys, I pulled the trigger and bought a new tried and true Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss. Here's a brief video: Stihl MS 290 - YouTube

Until now, the only saw I've ever tried, used, or owned, was my little Stihl MS 170. Had it for 8 years now. Luv that little saw. Cut 50 full cords with it (up to 10 cords a year now). The chain oiler pooped out. No big deal. Took it to the Stihl dealer I've frequented over the years just enough so they recognize me, but don't remember my name. I've had them sharpen my chains, bought spare chains, bars, chain and 2 cycle oil, etc. My plan was to drop off the 170 for repair and buy an MS 250. The 170 would then become my backup saw.

As one fella was writing up the work order on my 170, I was playing with the 250. Bob, the owner, came out. I asked him if this was a good day to make a deal. He said every day is a good day to make a deal. Now the 250 felt very familiar to me. But suddenly, and without warning, the Tim Taylor syndrome came over me (more power, ugh ugh ugh), and I picked up the 290. I asked Bob which one he would recommend. He knew I had a 170 and cut only 10 cords a year so he didn't try to sell me a pro saw. He said if you can handle the extra weight, get the 290. It's got almost 1 more HP than the 250. But if you want to keep the weight down, get the 250. Umm. I did feel the extra weight of the 290 and thought it might be hard to start (no compression release). Bob showed me how to pull the starter cord, then handed it to me and said, give it a yank. So I gave it my best shot. It wasn't as hard as I had anticipated. Bob promptly said you won't have any trouble starting the 290. I said OK, here's the deal. I want the 290 with a 16 inch bar (I don't need a longer bar as I buy the permit to take trees (standing dead, or down) from the national forest, and not permitted to take anything over 18 inches. 95% of what I take is 16 inches or less), an extra bar (it came with one but I wanted an extra), 3 extra chains (it came with one, but I wanted some extras), a pack of Stihl 2 cycle synthetic engine oil (to double the warranty), and YOU throw in a carrying case. He did some figuring and we agreed on $500 for everything, including all tax. He cut me a nice discount. Here's a picture of the invoice: View attachment 209352 I asked Bob about using non-safety chains (he carries them), but after a brief discussion, I decided to first get use to this new saw. Then maybe I'll give them a try.

He fueled and serviced the 290 while I finished the work order on my 170. I heard my new saw running in the back room. After awhile, he brought everything out and asked me if I wanted to go over the 290's safety, starting procedures, etc. I said, it's basically the same as my 170, isn't it. He said it was and I shouldn't have any problem starting and using it. Just start it like you start the 170. He also said, "Read the manual". He said I should bring it back after 5 hours of use so he could adjust the carburetor again. (There is no carb adjustment on my 170.) So away I went with all of my new goodies, and a big smile on my face.

Read the whole manual last night, TWICE. I'm a part time instructor at a technical college. I teach computer courses, so I like to read manuals. Reversed the air intake slide (put it on the left side) for winter operation, and installed the prefilter with the snow flake up for winter operation. Took it outside this morning and promptly flooded it. Took out the spark plug and give it 15 yanks to clear the combustion chamber. Put in the spark plug and it started right up. I found that if I give it two pulls in cold start mode, then switch to operating position 1, it usually starts right up. Manual says during break in (3 tanks of gas), machine should not be run at high revs (full throttle off load), so I blipped it up to half throttle for a few minutes to get things heated up. Stopped it, and tried starting it again. It started right up. Waited 15 minutes and it started right up again. Confident I could start it, I loaded all my gear in my truck and went looking for some trees to cut.

Found two nice 16 inchers. Saw started right up. To aid break-in, I babied it. I just let the weight of the saw (now that extra weight came in handy) do the work as I bucked those 2 trees. This thing chews through wood like a beaver in heat. But remember, all I have to compare it to is my little 170, so the difference is like day and night!

I know there are bigger and modded saws which can put the 290 to shame. But for my intended use, 10 cords of firewood a year, I don't need and can't justify a bigger or pro saw. And because most of the trees I harvest are 16 inches or less, all I wanted was a 16 inch bar for less reciprocating mass to better optimize the 290's power. I've cut a few 24 inch trees with the 14 inch bar on my little 170, so I'm sure the 290 will handle the larger trees when called upon.

At first I did notice the extra weight of the 290, but by late afternoon while bucking rounds, it was no longer an issue, as that extra weight became an advantage, and I became use to it. And while some may prefer a longer bar when bucking to prevent bending over so much, this wasn't an issue for me. I rest my right elbow on my right knee, and let the saw do the work.

I'm so glad I went with the 290 vs the 250. It compliments my little 170 so well. In case someone is contemplating the 290 and wondering if they can handle its 13 pound weight (probably closer to 17 pounds with bar and chain), I'm almost 66 years old, 5'10", 200 pounds, and average physical condition. Watch the video above. I got use to the weight real quick. In all honesty, I think I would have been just as happy with the 250. But I know myself. And I know I might have later been wishing I had gotten the 290 with that extra 1 HP.

In the end, I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. The 290 Farm Boss is a work horse of a saw. It's not a pro saw, not the most high tech, not the most powerful, and not the lightest. But it's well built and gets the job done, smartly, at a decent price point. Bob told me he sells more 250's and 290's, than all of the other Stihl models combined.

Before purchasing the Stihl, I did visit other dealers, Husky, Dolmar, Jonsered, etc. At each of these dealers I talked to customers who were absolutely delighted with their particular brand of saw. My purchase was very subjective. I think I would have been just as happy with any major brand of saw. I just felt the most comfortable with the Stihl dealer I had been frequenting over the years. He's always treated me right and cut me a nice discount. If you're ever in the area and need parts or service, check out Bob's Power Center in Rhinelander, Wisconsin.

The manual covers that carb adjustment. Umm, maybe I'll give that a try after 5 hours of use. Are there any tricks or tips that will help me with this?

Also, would it hurt to run a little more oil in the gas for awhile, say 40:1? I could have asked Bob when I bought the saw, but didn't think to.

Lastly, if you're not real saw smart (like me), what ever brand you buy, get it from a dealer who knows his products inside-out and can expertly service them. Make sure he services the saw (makes all the necessary adjustments) before you walk out the door with it. If you don't hear your new saw running in the back room, don't buy it. If he doesn't offer to walk you through the saws safety, starting, and operating procedures without you having to ask, find a different dealer. IF HE DOESN'T INSIST THAT YOU READ THE MANUAL, find a different dealer.

And finally, READ (AND UNDERSTAND) THE MANUAL ~ TWICE !

Stay safe and have fun !
May your home always be too small to hold all your friends.
May you be poor in misfortune, but rich in blessings.
May your right hand always be stretched out in friendship, but never in anger or want.
And finally, may peace and plenty be the first to lift the latch on your door, and happiness be guided to your home by the candle of Christmas.

Thanks for all of your guidance and help guys,

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

Don <><

Edit: See my calculations on how long it takes to cut 10 cords further down in this thread.

Last edited:
Congrats. I'm sure someone will make the comment that you could have gotten a better saw for the same $ but you are the one who will use the saw. 290(029) is an excellent saw as evidenced by how long they've been in production.
Bob

Stihl recommends 40:1. I'd assume the carb was set with 40:1 mix, if you run 50:1 you might run lean.

Congrats. I'm sure someone will make the comment that you could have gotten a better saw for the same $ but you are the one who will use the saw. 290(029) is an excellent saw as evidenced by how long they've been in production.
Bob

Hi redunshee:
I'm curious. What better saw could I have gotten for the same price (349.95)? Or would that just lead to a "Stihl vs whatever" debate which is purely subjective. I think all of the major manufactures produce some really fine saws, and we're lucky to have so many choices. If my little 170 is any indication of reliability, (it's as reliable as dirt), the 290 should give me many, many years of faithful service. In most cases, we get what we pay for, and given my intended use, I just couldn't justify a more expensive saw.

Don

Last edited:
Hi redunshee:
I'm curious. What better saw could I have gotten for the same price (349.95)? Or would that just lead to a "Stihl vs whatever" debate which is purely subjective.

Don

I thought the mix was 50/1. Running 40/1 won't hurt though I don't think its necessary. If you could adjust carb, I'd suggest running it a little rich which 40/1 will accomplish. That's what I do on my old saws after installing new rings or a piston(run my saws a little rich by openning the Hi speed needle a bit). I don't think you will harm saw unless you run it hard for the first few tanks.
Bob

Hi redunshee:
I'm curious. What better saw could I have gotten for the same price (349.95)? Or would that just lead to a "Stihl vs whatever" debate which is purely subjective.

Don

What I meant was exactly what you stated. Or, someone will suggest you buy a pro-series saw. Sometimes people get so picky on stats, horsepower rpm's that they forget that most people don't cut 100 cords a year or fell trees for a living. You did good.
Bob

40:1 or 50:1 is fine. I run 44:1 in all my stuff including oldies that call for as much as 20:1. Just use good quality oil. There plenty of old 029's (virtually the same as 290) out there with farmers running nasty old swamp water in them, and they run fine. Congrats on the new saw. I think you should get a yellow chain as soon as practical, but the green ones can cut pretty when they're sharpened correctly.

I think you should get a yellow chain as soon as practical, but the green ones can cut pretty when they're sharpened correctly.

I agree saw Doctor. I just didn't wanna get in over my head with this new saw until I get use to it. I could take the 3 extra chains back and exchange them for the yellow ones. Maybe I'll do that. Is there like a huge cutting difference when using the yellow chains as opposed to the green safety chains? Do the yellow chains get dull faster? Are they any harder to sharpen?

Don <><

Last edited:
029 super

I bought my dad an 029 super in perfect condition...already broke in for 90$. I just don't see the point in buying a saw of this caliber new....

I bought my dad an 029 super in perfect condition...already broke in for 90$. I just don't see the point in buying a saw of this caliber new....

Hi StihlGuitar:
I just don't know enough about used chain saws to make a good purchase. I wouldn't know if I were buying a piece of junk, or getting a real nice used saw. And I'm not mechanically inclined enough to overhaul a used saw. Given its price, the MS 290 is a decent saw.

Don <><

Last edited:
well with that consideration, you've done well. Better to buy a homeowner saw from a dealer than one from a box store. Fine job.

after ya run about 5-10 tanks of gas through it, do a muffler mod and readjust the carb.she'ss wake up and snort.

Hi tomsteve. I don't know how to do a muffler mod, but if I had one done, would this in any way affect my ability to use the saw in the national forest? They're kinda picky about stuff like spark arrestors. Would it affect my warranty?

Don

Sir, glad that you made a quality purchase. BTW, I call anyone sir that has a collage education.I am glad that you bought it from a dealer rather than a box store.Stay warm and enjoy the cold winter evenings thanks to your new saw.Happy Holidays, Ken

Hi tomsteve. I don't know how to do a muffler mod, but if I had one done, would this in any way affect my ability to use the saw in the national forest? They're kinda picky about stuff like spark arrestors. Would it affect my warranty?

Don

Don't do anything while under warranty. If you are happy with the saw leave it alone
Bob

I call anyone sir that has a collage education.

It's funny you mention this Ken. I was a high school drop out at 17. Joined the Marines for 8 years. Viet Nam vet. Used the GI bill to get me some smarts. Was an accountant for 20 years. Never in a million years did I think I would ever be teaching at a technical college. But I absolutely luv it.

Happy Holidays back atcha.

Don <><

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back