Bought an ms660 and got...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a used ms660 or what was advertised to be an ms660 with a big bore kit on it. Emailed Stihl today with the serial number and turns out it's an 066. Here's the strange part, it's got an ms660 sticker on it and stickers that say EPA compliant for 2012, 92cc all that stuff. So I was either intentionally duped into buying an 066 labeled as a 660 or the guy I got it from was mislead, believed it to be an ms660 and just passed on all of his "knowledge" to me.

I paid $500 power head only. Should I be pissed or what?

I've worked on both 066 and MS660. Virtually two peas in a pod, but the 066 seemed to breathe easier. The Tree Freak is correct.

One of my customers asked me to install a big bore cylinder on his 066 in early 2016. He's happy as a lark and claims it will cut right with an MS661. His total cost was about one-third that of an MS661.

I was actually looking for an 066 when I bought my 660. It's been played with and I've got no complaints so I stopped looking for an 066.

You paid only $500 for that masterpiece? I'm both jealous and in shock. Gasp!

Remember that somebody dropped over a grand on it a few years ago at the dealer.

I emailed stihl the serial number. It's really an 066 that was manufactured in the 3rd quarter of 2000. So it's 17 years old now. It has new 660 plastics on it, but overall it's in pretty great shape.

Is a lightweight bar worth the extra $$? This thing weighs almost 17lbs. I can't see an extra 6 oz. making a big difference. It will be used mostly for milling and the occasional large tree fell.

I really don't think lightweight bars mean much of anything. Here's my MS660 that I rebuilt recently:

I have several 36" bars for this saw, both regular and wide nose, all used but in good shape for lots of cuts. If interested, holler with a PM. $65 each, shipped.

IMG_0640.JPG
It's definitely an aluminum flywheel.

You showed a side pic of the recoil housing,did you remove the housing
and look at the flywheel under it ? by the year 2000 they were almost certainly
poly flywheel

I really don't think lightweight bars mean much of anything. Here's my MS660 that I rebuilt recently:

I have several 36" bars for this saw, both regular and wide nose, all used but in good shape for lots of cuts. If interested, holler with a PM. $65 each, shipped.

Nice looking saw you have there! I'll keep you in mind for the 36" bar. I might go 42" for now and just go slow with it, I'm not terribly concerned with speed. I have a lead on a 36" maple trunk that a friend of a friend of a friend took down a month ago.

I hope that score in there doesnt cause problems. I'd keep an eye on it for sure. Run it til it blows then rebuild it. With all that new plastic on it I'm guessing it's a high hour saw. Hope it works well for you for many years

Yeah that's the plan, I got a pretty good deal on it so if I need to do a rebuild so be it. It looks worse in pics, but if I get 2 years of milling out of it I'll be happy.

When I rebuilt mine, I ordered a replacement flywheel. The original owner somehow snapped the starter cord and the engine fired and ran anyway with the broken cord flopping around inside. Practically every fin on the flywheel was broken off or damaged. Imagine what that sounded like as it ate itself to pieces.

The new flywheel arrived and it was metal, not a combo poly. I was surprised but I went ahead and installed it. The saw's running perfectly with it in place.

Back