Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought new 7910, turns out it's 4 years old

Discussion in 'Bailey's' started by SOS Ridgerider, Jul 8, 2016.

1. SOS Ridgerider

SOS Ridgerider New guy

I just purchased a new Dolmar 7910 from Baileys, a saw I've been wanting for a long time. I finally had the finances to do it, and the saws were on sale. I received the saw about a week ago, fueled it up, and it runs great. As I went to register it on Dolmars website for the warranty and such, I realized the "brand new" saw is 4 years old. Built in 2012. I was more or less shocked that I had purchased a new 4 year old saw, without being informed about it. I understand that the 7910 is the same from 2012 to 2016, but it still leaves me disappointed. I've spent quite a bit of money, at least for me, purchasing from Baileys, but this doesn't exactly leave me wanting to do more business there. Had I known the saw was 4 years old, that would have likely swayed me away from buying it, even if the price was good. There are plenty of Dolmar dealers I'd rather pay a few extra dollars to for a really new 7910. A build year like 2015 I can certainly understand, as it's impossible to completely forecast inventory and sales. 4 years, though, that one is hard to swallow.

2. hseII

hseII Addicted to ArboristSite

Why?

Does Dolmar not honor the warranty after x amount of shelf time?

It's a new saw dude; go make it durty.

3. SOS Ridgerider

SOS Ridgerider New guy

I'm sure they do. I don't have a problem with the saw itself being from 2012. Like I said, it runs great, and everything is good there. It's exactly the saw I was looking for. I work in a retail environment, and we would never try and sell someone a new product without telling them it's 4 years old. I guess I'm mostly just surprised inventory is sitting around for that long. If it was me, I would have been straight up with my customer, so they wouldn't be surprised by even something like this, and I would be able to look them dead in the eyes next time they came, knowing I disclosed everything. If I ever go to sell the saw, it'll still be 4 years older than the purchase date. I'm not sure if that matters much, though.

Now, with all that said, I'm going to stop whining and go out and cut some wood with my 7910.

Duce, brnchbrkr and hseII like this.
  4. NBailey

NBailey ArboristSite.com Sponsor

Hello SOS Ridgerider,
    The Dolmar chainsaw you purchased came directly from a Dolmar distributor a only a couple of months ago. They must have had it for a while. We usually don't check the manufacturing date on non-consumable products when we receive them. We have a 30 day money back guarantee if you are not happy with the chainsaw, but I think you will be very impressed once you start cutting. BTW, many folks on this site prefer older chainsaws, some will be envious.

SOS Ridgerider and Duce like this.
  5. fordf150

fordf150 ArboristSite.com Sponsor

Its a new saw...warranty is still the same as one that was manufactured yesterday so i personally see no problem with it since there have been no updates to them since that manufacturer date but out of curiousity i looked at my inventory....everything i have is 2014 and newer with the exception of the 351's, they have a production date of 2012. All of the 7910's and 6400's i have were built in 2014 and i bought them well over a year ago

The only time i would have a problem with receiving a saw that old is if it were a 562/2260 since there have been so many updates and that model saw 4 yrs old had some design flaws that have been fixed on newer production units.

6. SOS Ridgerider

SOS Ridgerider New guy

Thanks for the replies guys. I feel at ease now, knowing that this is common in the *** industry. Like I said previously, the saw is exactly what I was looking for, and have been saving up for, so it's a keeper. I just didn't want to feel like I was sent something that was accidentally discovered in a dark corner of a warehouse. Lol
    I very much appreciate the replies, insights and explanations, and my faith has been restored.

Thank you

7. ValleyFirewood

ValleyFirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

Shoot we have stock in the shop that is from the 70s and 80s. Stuff like McCulloch parts, Briggs, Kohler, etc.
    When was the last time you saw a Briggs with a glass fuel sediment bowl? We've got those in stock. Put one on a customer's water pump last week actually.

8. stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado God of ArboristSite

I've purchased two brand new Husky's, a 395 & a 576 within the last two years that were manufactured in 2012. Run it.

SOS Ridgerider likes this.
  9. KenJax Tree

KenJax Tree Terraphobic

I guess manufacture dates are all over the board. When i got my 2260 from Nate(fordf150) last July '15 the saw was made in April '15 so it was 3 months old when i got, if i got the same saw new 3 years from now its still the same saw.

10. ArthurB

ArthurB ArboristSite Member

Although the saw might be completely fine, and otherwise identical to a 2016 saw, it's a valid point

In particular, the resale value (if you wanted to sell it at some point) would obviously be much lower

Sellers should make customers aware of the fact that they are purchasing old stock - if it were me, I would take up the dude's offer of a refund and get one that's been manufactured in 2016 - I did this with a saddle a few years back, and was pleased I did when it came to on-selling it

Bottom line is that you've got a 4yo saw

11. stihlaficionado

I have never had a problem selling a saw that was manufactured a couple years earlier. Many models, like the 395 haven't had improvements for years. The overall condition of the saw
    & run time is more important imo, than build date

fordf150 likes this.
  12. ArthurB

ArthurB ArboristSite Member

Not my experience

And run time is only one factor in the overall impact of age on any machine

Reality is that in (eg) 2 years, this will be a 6yo saw - and few people would pay more than about 1/3 the market price for a 6yo saw - any 6yo saw - regardless of whether the manufacturer had not changed its specs in the interim

Fine buying older gear from a shop if that's stated up front and reflected in sale price - but if not, then I'd return it and find a new one

13. stihlaficionado

Must be different on Oz.

A saw that hasn't had any improvements for years , what does it matter? The saw is still new. I can't understand your reasoning. The saw is new, no improvements over the years...

You are running a New Saw.

I will go with my own experience on this. I have sold 8 year old saws & gotten 75-80% of their
    original cost because they are in excellent condition. No one asked about the build date

fordf150 and hseII like this.
  14. hseII

Otherwise known as a New Saw.

15. hseII

I've never checked the born on date of a saw: they don't spoil on the shelf.

16. KenJax Tree

KenJax Tree Terraphobic

I don't either but when i got my 2260 I wanted to make sure it had the updated EL 48 carb so I asked when it was made before i bought it.

fordf150 and hseII like this.
  17. fordf150

fordf150 ArboristSite.com Sponsor

That was my point earlier. I can only think of 2 models that build date matters...2260/562 otherwise a NIB saw is a NIB saw to me. I have sold old inventory before..... Bought old inventory from shops that were closing. This spring was selling dolmar trimmers with build dates of 2006..... When I bought a pickup load of MS-22 trimmers I had a waiting list of buyers for those NIB 8 yr old trimmers

KenJax Tree and hseII like this.
  18. ValleyFirewood

ValleyFirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

Same here. Lot of times it's tough to figure out the year even. I have no idea how old any of my saws are.