Bound to happen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh? 100-200 hours, that's a couple of months in the hands of a pro.. I've seen BR600 blowers with well over 1000 hours, maybe much more... same with the trimmer/brushcutters.

Yes, don't use junk oil at 32:1....

Bearing failures? news to me..

No.. you don't need to remove the cylinder or any parts to "de-carbon". BTW... EDTA does NOT remove carbon... it removes calcium deposits which are what most people refer to a "carbon". We've done ONE "de-carbon" in three years...

Jiffy Lube will make a fortune doing oil changes in the Honda engines... :greenchainsaw:

We did our first on one (De carbonize) about 4 months ago,,,, worked like a champ,,,, on a 3 year old BR550,,,, It has beaucoup hours on it commercially,,,,,, the biggest problem I see in them is people using regular fuel and cheap wally world or boxstore premix,,,,,,,and overmixing,,,, JMHO

Last edited:
Br600 valve clearance must be checked at 139 hours
The combustion chamber has to be "decoked" after the first 139 hours. The 110's had coil issues and from what I have heard from the dealer bad carbs. I have heard that the engines are very sentitive to oilgas ratio and
can accumulate carbon and seize without notice. My dealer has changed one camshaft and crankshaft bearings on the 64cc models. You may be right and the guys are mixing the oil too rich. I thought they made good power (br600)started easy and idled nicely but the vibrations were noticeable. I am very interested in the 4mix because chainsaws may be next but I see some problems and they are fairly new products. It will be sad when 2strokes die.

Yep.. check the valves.. once... and most don't bother. The few that I've done required no adjustment. "Decoke" at 139? Nope.. not a chance. Use the low smoke or any major brand synthetic oil at 50:1 and they run (and last) great. Seize without notice.. hmmm...

Coils on 110 -yep - a bad component (diode) that failed due to internal heat - fixed two years ago.

Some of the very early Br600/550 has issues.. but they were addressed (Stihl handed out new engines... even way after warranty expired), but that production was also was also over two years ago. Lot's of old threads on this topic.

The "wait and see" period is long gone... I own them, and I'm sold.

You won't see the Stihl 4-mix in saws though... they will all be strato-charged.

Last edited:
Question

Why exactly would anyone want a 4 stroke chainsaw??? Wouldn't it be heavier? Less reliable??? I don't get what the hype about a 4-stroke saw is... What am I missin' folks???

:popcorn:

I don't care how it's thrown. It just seems like the problems and potentials outweigh the benefits. There is just a never-ending quest for the perfect saw concerning performance. At what point do we become content with what we have. If they can produce a 4-stroke that can outperform and outlive a two-stroke then I'm in, if not I am not remotely interested.

2-stroke

Honestly, and I think for the rest of my lifetime anyways, I really can't imagine anything but a 2-stroke for a chainsaw or small engine. I can't ever see this changing really. I do however think eventually saws will be more like throwaways, like everything else being produced these days...

Honestly, and I think for the rest of my lifetime anyways, I really can't imagine anything but a 2-stroke for a chainsaw or small engine. I can't ever see this changing really. I do however think eventually saws will be more like throwaways, like everything else being produced these days...

I thought the same about motocross bikes a few years back, but now the 2 strokes are all but gone. Look at outboard motors, going the same way, the moto GP's etc etc. I give the 2 stroke chainsaw 10 years, max. On the bright side there will probably always be parts to rebuild the "great ones".

I don't see 4 strokes taking over anytime soon because they would weight at least 2-3lbs more for the power they make in any cc range of nowadays standards. Dirtbikes do not notice these small weight gains like a hand held chainsaw would!!! IMO

Why exactly would anyone want a 4 stroke chainsaw??? Wouldn't it be heavier? Less reliable??? I don't get what the hype about a 4-stroke saw is... What am I missin' folks???

Heavier, perhaps, although 4 stroke technology is continually approaching the weight of two strokes. Less reliable? Don't think so. What was the last 2 stroke car you saw?

I don't see 4 strokes taking over anytime soon because they would weight at least 2-3lbs more for the power they make in any cc range of nowadays standards. Dirtbikes do not notice these small weight gains like a hand held chainsaw would!!! IMO

Wont be weight of saw that will be the issue, it will be the weight of new laws.

According to Mr Lakeside yes they have!
They are pushing them like crazy in the UK soon all the smaller capacity strimmers will be 4mix they fazed out my beloved fs250 and replaced it with the fs130 4mix :cry: :cry: :cry: If they would just make one with .3hp more i would give it a try

The FS200 is gone here as well.....:censored:

Heavier, perhaps, although 4 stroke technology is continually approaching the weight of two strokes. Less reliable? Don't think so. What was the last 2 stroke car you saw?

+1... damn, now I'm agreeing with the guy...

Don't forget 2 stroke diesels... (not saws..please..)

i hope i never see saws go to four storke. I like 2 very easy to work on i dont feel like adjusting valves an stuff as long as jugs are made i am keeping my 026

Latest posts

Back