Box Store Faceoff: WildThing vs. Mac XTREME!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, they about went bankrupt because they didn't compete, simple as that. They relied on past reputation instead of building vehicles people wanted to buy. Poor quality and high prices turned people away from the big three. They're having to play catch up now.

Ditto #1. Have you seen the product recalls and reliability ratings that come from the big three? The good news is that they are getting better! :clap:

It's not American manufacturing, we are the best and most efficient in the world. It all starts with the design. Manufacturers HAVE to make the parts within the design specs, no exceptions. I know.

When you have design engineers fresh out of school taught by professors who started teaching fresh out of school without any design experience, what do you expect?

I had a machining instructor that started teaching fresh out of school. Very little machining experience, what a joke! The tool & die instructor, VERY different story.

No comparison - I'll go with the Poulan, there's quite a few of those around that have actually held up pretty well for what they are, but those Macs are just total CRAP, they have to be the biggest pos saw of all time.

Biggest POS???Even more than a stihl??:buttkick: :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
that sounds right

great idea
And what exactly would the "official" time keeping device be for this faceoff be???

An hourglass or a sundial. :laugh:

-->>now this would be a good tes for any saw made in chena:clap: -Maybe we could turn them both loose in a 30" Hickory log and see which one comes the closest to cutting a cookie before breaking or melting something. :chainsaw: :popcorn:

And what exactly would the "official" time keeping device be for this faceoff be???

An hourglass or a sundial. :laugh:

Maybe we could turn them both loose in a 30" Hickory log and see which one comes the closest to cutting a cookie before breaking or melting something. :chainsaw: :popcorn:

Yeah, kinda like that, see how long each can go before breaks something serious. Start off easy, blocking up some 8-10" maple logs, move up to some 16" ash and the final test cutting up some railroad ties. We'll even level the playing field, give each a FULL tank of premium mixed with Husky XP oil, each gets a brand new Bosch plug, clean air filter and a brand-new, razor sharp Oregon chain. That way we can really see which saw design is the worst.

I don't think so, the Mac has more in common with the Troybilt saw, MTD had their hands in both names for awhile, while the Poulan is similar to the 100 series Huskys.

Last edited:
Yeah, kinda like that, see how long each can go before breaks something serious. Start off easy, blocking up some 8-10" maple logs, move up to some 16" ash and the final test cutting up some railroad ties. We'll even level the playing field, give each a FULL tank of premium mixed with Husky XP oil, each gets a brand new Bosch plug, clean air filter and a brand-new, razor sharp Oregon chain. That way we can really see which saw design is the worst.

If you want to see them last longer use Stihl HP Ultra and a Stihl chain. I'm sure those turds would last longer....At least you will have good mix and a chain worth a ****.:chainsaw:

If you want to see them last longer use Stihl HP Ultra and a Stihl chain. I'm sure those turds would last longer....At least you will have good mix and a chain worth a ****.:chainsaw:

I think you'll void the warranty if you don't put a low kickback chain on one of those things, it would not know what to do with a chain that actually cuts.

I have one of the green things, and I like it a lot.
It is 12 years old, runs like a champ, never had 1 single issue with it. It is now reserved for cutting up fallen pines, and the very improtant job of clearing deer trails and shooting lanes.
I plan on keeping it until it dies.

Wild

I still wanna get a wild thingy just to say I have one. Think about it. If your cutting old logs full of nails or RR ties or something that would normally destroy your good saws, why not have a cheapie for that exact purpose. If you keep it in your truck and somebody steals it, your out like what? $100?? That's better than $400 eh?

:popcorn:

Yeah? OK. click here and scroll down to the bottom of the page.Brands vs comp.http://corporate.husqvarna.com/index.php?p=about&s=consumer&afw_lang=en all the same group

http://www.mcculloch.biz/node905.aspx

If you look, you will notice McCulloch is listed as a brand under the "rest of the world" heading. It is not listed as a North American brand.

This fits with information I have previously read that says Husqvarna owns McCulloch of Italy, but has no claim to the name in the US. I can't remember the name, but it was an Asian company that the rights to the name in North America.

Last edited:
I have a Poulan "Pro" 295 running a 20" bar and FS chain. Believe it or not, it does suprisingly well in <= 20" Birch, Maple, Alder. It was a present from my gf some years ago and I don't have the heart to get rid of it.

She even told me I could sell it and put the money towards a new saw. Too bad that was two saws ago. :)

I have a PP330, but comparing it to a WildThing is apples to oranges. It has a chrome lined cylinder, aluminum crankcase and simple, reliable controls. I had it out yesterday and it fired up on the 2nd pull, purring away for good two hours through big ash and sugar maple. I am running 72VG Vanguard chain that came on it, and I had it razor sharp last night, I was pulling chips out of sugar maple the size of my pinky nail and flinging them a good 10 feet behind me, I was prety impressed with it.

Besides the vibes, my WT will go through 12" oak just fine, again and again, just takes a little longer than some other saws that's all.

It's my backup saw when I work away from our own place, yep, it's that reliable.:cheers:

Back