Bradford Pear Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonborrego

Reaction score
I planted two Bradford Pears about a month ago, one is healthy and the other has brown edging on all it leaves. Is it a disease that's effacing the tree or maybe transplant shock? I posted some photos of the healthy and unhealthy tree.

Attachments

• IMG_20150804_185526.jpg
    IMG_20150804_185526.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20150804_185531.jpg
    IMG_20150804_185531.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20150804_185540.jpg
    IMG_20150804_185540.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
Transplant shock, IMO.
Maybe some over watering involved too...
Hopefully the hole that was dug had the same soil put back into it.(not drowning the roots)

Bradfords are pretty resistant to FB.

Last year we had fireblight pretty bad here in the Midwest, but the Bradfords fared quite well in comparison... Very little infection. I was just going off of the extension offices' info. that they are moderately resistant, but not immuned.
Guess they're not all together even moderately resistant (in some cases atleast).
In regard to pruning, will you guys major cut them back this dormancy? Or not at all, and just spray next spring? Looks to me like one cannot effectively prune out the infection without going beyond pruning standards. Or atleast that's what I ran into personally this past dormancy..

Around here Bradford's have FB all of the time. Best way to take care of this, or a Bradford for that matter is with a horizontal pruning properly placed just above the root flare.

Latest posts

Back