Brand new MS661c-m bar nuts loosen and throw chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nraws

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought a brand new 661 off the shelf the other day and the first time using it, it was fine for an hour or so. Then I barely touched it to a tree and it threw the chain, bent the teeth that go into the bar. I noticed the IRS were loose afterwards. Went back to the shop and they gave me a free chain, next time out it did it again immediately and again the hits were loose. I put a strip of thread tape on them and it fired it up. It held fine for awhile then I noticed them turning again. I realize I could cake the tape on, but the thing is, I shouldn't have to you know? Also who knows it could eventually loosen up while I'm not thinking about it and I don't really want a 32" chain on a 661 whipping in my face.

I guess my questions are, has anyone else experienced this? Or do you know what could be wrong? I'm assuming the threads are just jacked or something. It's under warranty so I can just take it back anytime but I Figured I'd post something about it and maybe learn something haha.

Any signs that the bar nut studs are pulling out of the body of the saw? Had that happen on an old saw that I foolishly loaned to my gorilla of a brother. He tightened up the bar nuts so much the studs started to pull out. Just enough to loosen the studs grip in the body of the saw. That was a ****** plastic poulan though...

Shouldn't be doing that. Make sure there's not oil on the studs. You can use a tiny bit of blue Locktite. I mean a tiny bit. You could etch some lines in the backside of the nuts or take some vice grips and booger up the threads a little. None of those I would recommend though. They will work but they're not fixes. I'd take it back and see what they say where you bought it.

I once got a good deal on a new MS150 because the bar couldn't be tightened. Closer examination revealed the stud had never been fully seated by Stihl. Using a couple nuts jammed together, I turned the stud home and it's been fine ever since. Are your studs fully seated?

Latest posts

Back