Brand new to Chainsaws. Shoulda bought a Stihl.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus von herten

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Howdy! I'm brand new to the forum and brand new to chainsaws other than monkeying around with 14 inch electric models.

I have to clear some damaged ash trees around the yard and my old back isn't up for chopping down and chopping up with an axe these days.

Got a Husqvarna 450 Rancher on ebay sans box because Amazon wouldn't ship to my locale and I didn't want to spend more than $300. Looks almost brand new except a slightly bent cylinder cooling fin. Seller is a high-rated pawn shop and says they fired it up. Build quality doesn't look great, wondering if it is counterfeit but the gas cap seems to have the nylon cord and wondering if they would they bother counterfeiting what is basically a home grade Poulan Pro? I also noticed that if I tighten the bar nut too tightly, the chain brake doesn't seem to be movable.

For $100 more I could have bought a Stihl MS 291 from a dealer. :kickself:

I'm wondering if I can call up Husqvarna to see if I have a fake. Anyone have any experiences with the U.S. company recently?

It's 2:40 AM. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, gents.

Edit: added some pics. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
618c8f3c473e63b9cfc0a0afe701c82b.jpg

b5750d271b3d78b2e766fa0ca9acc689.jpg

b9e8630f4300d52f6639a5e629112b8f.jpg

e20c0ff49edf6e03f6f31fb8745a62c1.jpg

46fe94dcdf968587fc9c9f76ce8dd64a.jpg

Sell it and buy an MS 261. Worth every penny and then some. I have a 193T, 261CM, 661CM and an HT133 power pruner. 261 sees the most use by far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howdy! I'm brand new to the forum and brand new to chainsaws other than monkeying around with 14 inch electric models.

I have to clear some damaged ash trees around the yard and my old back isn't up for chopping down and chopping up with an axe these days.

Got a Husqvarna 450 Rancher on ebay sans box because Amazon wouldn't ship to my locale and I didn't want to spend more than $300. Looks almost brand new except a slightly bent cylinder cooling fin. Seller is a high-rated pawn shop and says they fired it up. Build quality doesn't look great, wondering if it is counterfeit but the gas cap seems to have the nylon cord and wondering if they would they bother counterfeiting what is basically a home grade Poulan Pro? I also noticed that if I tighten the bar nut too tightly, the chain brake doesn't seem to be movable.

For $100 more I could have bought a Stihl MS 291 from a dealer. :kickself:

I'm wondering if I can call up Husqvarna to see if I have a fake. Anyone have any experiences with the U.S. company recently?

It's 2:40 AM. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, gents.

I know nothing about Huskys but on Stihl clones there in no serial #. If you find a s/n chances are it's not a clone.

Well I called Husqvarna and they said they couldn't tell by the serial number, only the Model Number, if it was authentic or not. They said an authorized dealer or service center might be able to tell more accurately. Seems legit. I will want to get someone to tune it up for me if no YouTube videos exist.

Thats genuine husqvarna that comes in a number of flavors including craftsman and mcculloch. The mcculloch/craftsman version has nicer color imo.

So this rotor that I'm pointing at, this is supposed to control the chain brake, right? It looks greased but is it supposed to rotate? If so, should I try to tap it loose? I'm afraid of starting this thing for fear of frying the clutch or something.
c56acd0abbfc37eafe785d5400dedd56.jpg
950ddf0a4dd22b1a5a2681bf9ba3dead.jpg

It looks like it should wrap around the clutch but as you can see in the 2nd pic, it's overlapping it.

I guess I might need to do this?

I bet somebody took the clutch cover off with the brake engaged.
Okay im looking and this seems to be a common rookie mistake. I followed the instructions to release the brake while taking off the cover. I'm wondering if the shipper did this while taking off the blade for shipping. Thanks for confirming.

That happens all the time ! I mean at least weekly in my shop one comes in. "Broke junk" I have a tool I made grab it release the break put it on just that fast and look at the customer with a confused look. Then show them what happened and how they caused the problem and how to fix the problem so they don't have to look like a noon, having some sarcastic smart arse talk condescending to them.

Hi Klaus. Yes that's a real 450. One of the best homeowner saws for the money. A stihl of same quality same price is very good also. I have the same saw. Bought new. Always release the brake before taking cover off on any saw. Always keep the bar groves clean a sharp chain ethanol free fuel with husqvarna or stihl gas oil mix or can buy canned fuel thats,mixed ethanol free. Always,wear chaps hear protection gloves boots and safety glasses and helmet. Never let the chain hit the dirt. Be safe and have fun!

That happens all the time ! I mean at least weekly in my shop one comes in. "Broke junk" I have a tool I made grab it release the break put it on just that fast and look at the customer with a confused look. Then show them what happened and how they caused the problem and how to fix the problem so they don't have to look like a noon, having some sarcastic smart arse talk condescending to them.
I was going to take it to the shop and do exactly this tomorrow, but I followed the instructions in the video and fixed the issue in 5 seconds. Easy peasy. Wasnt expecting the loud and satisfying click. That was a close one!

I dont know if the chain has a stiff link. I have half a mind to get an 18" bar and chain and put the 20" aside.

Thanks guys for inspiring me to fix it myself. Maybe one day I too will be rebuilding carburetors!

Okay im looking and this seems to be a common rookie mistake. I followed the instructions to release the brake while taking off the cover. I'm wondering if the shipper did this while taking off the blade for shipping. Thanks for confirming.

OMG, don't call it a blade!! :eek:

There's a bar and a chain. No blade on a chainsaw.;)

Latest posts

Back