Breathing life back into an ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodywhomper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
[sorry for the length]
I wanted and needed a bigger saw. I bought a used ms361 from a tool-oriented pawn shop a few years ago. Currently, I have two concerns, which may or may not be related, the sparks from somewhere around the clutch and high heat in the same around (and shroud).

I knew the saw needed some work when I bought it and have been trying to get it in good shape for the past few months. Currently, I’m getting some sparks somewhere from the clutch area when cutting under load (bucking logs larger diameter than the 24” bar). The sparking is not consistent. Also, in this scenario, the clutch cover, bar, chain, clutch drum, etc. are getting pretty hot. After I had sparks today while bucking the second large round, I finished my cut, shut down the saw, took off the bar, chain, clutch plate, clutch drum to have a look, and everything was pretty hot to the touch; hot to the point where I needed to wear my leather gloves if I wanted to be touching something metal for more than a few seconds. This does not seem right to me. the chain was oiling (it’s minimal, but I’ve heard/read that’s normal for the ms361), there was no noticeable smoke from the saw (or cut), face of the cut didn’t show any signs of super high heat (e.g. charred), the chain is sharp, and the air filter seems clean. I just replaced the clutch (shoes, springs, etc), and am wondering if I should replace the clutch drum (see below). the chain tension seemed good and was freely moving when the chain brake was not engaged. I have not noticed this issue with the heat before with the few other saws that I’ve used (MS241 – new to me and MS270 – old going away).

The recent repairs/replacements done to the clutch-parts of the saw in chronological order:

-Burn up brake, clutch, needle bearings, and plastic because left idling with break on (idle was all jacked already – more below)

-clean-up above stuff charred and melted stuff: dremmeled out the melted plastic around the brake and clutch drum, cleaned/scrubed the brake (disassembled), clutch, and clutch drum with brake cleaner, wire brush, and elbow grease. They were not 100% carbon/glaze-free, but pretty close. I noticed that the worm gear looked a little odd, but put the clutch back together and tried out the saw w/o the clutch cover, to observe an oiling issue I was also experiencing.

-run the saw w/o bar, chain, and clutch cover and observe lots of sparks from behind the clutch drum.

-Remove clutch and see lots of metal shavings (fine particles) in the crankcase behind the clutch, a more jacked looking worm gear, and some areas of the crankcase that got nicked by the worm gear. Took worm gear to the saw shop, got it replaced, and now know what the correct, non-jacked worm gear for this saw looks like. The nicked areas of the crankcase don’t seem to have any hanging spurs….

-put saw back together and use. it seems to saw pretty well (no sparks, didn’t notice heat issue) but the idle/low carb setting are all over the place. Troubleshoot to realize that the clutch is shot; the springs are not supposed be to as loose as they have always been.

-replace clutch, get idle to function right with “L” on carb at the “standard” setting described in the manual. The “h” is also set at the “standard” setting.

I feel so close to have a good functional saw. What’s next? Replace clutch drum? Remove clutch and dremmel areas that have been previously nicked to make them more smooth?

Cheers and thanks!

Sounds like that saw was beat up a little bit. I would replace all the items in and around the clutch. Did oiler gear survive?

i got some free advise from one of the local saw shops, got some good advise from backhoelover on this forum, and just spent an hour running my new ms241. i'm no longer concerned about the heat. i haven't removed the clutch to look more into the sparking issue. it sure was nice running my new and problem-free saw today. it's not the best tool for my current job, unfortunately.

new question: clutch drum part number? the clutch drum is a little chew on the bottom rim. i sanded the rim to get rid of any small rough spots and have a baseline if i get more sparking when running. i lightly dremelled/smoothed any spurs in the crank case and oil pump from my previous problem with the worm gear, put the clutch drum back on the saw (needle bearings, too), lined up the drum with the oiling gear, gently turned the clutch drum, and i feel rubbing/friction. the brake looks to not be rubbing the drum, and the clutch is brand new. i think the outer bottom rim of the clutch drum is rubbing on the crank case? the part number stamped on the clutch drum is "1135 160 2901". The IPL that i have does not show this part number for the saw. I look online and find inconsistencies about this drum for this saw (maybe these are mistakes?). I'm a bit confused.

input? thoughts?

thanks!

1128 007 1000 is listed as a part for that saw and is readily available. Might want to buy one and give it a whirl...

I spent more time than I like on the internet trying to figure out the part number for the clutch drum on my saw. I can't seem to find it. Most listings is for the kit: sprocket, drum, and bearings. Can anybody confirm the part # for the actual drum? The slight rubbing feel on the case does not seem right, but maybe it is for this saw? Other than the slight rubbing, the drum seems to fit correctly: engages the oil gear, small gap from the brake, slight gap from the clutch shoes. Maybe it's the correct part. I'm thinking about putting it back together and running again and seeing if I get sparks again when under load.

Yea, that is where I've been going for help and parts, but it's going to be a few days for me to get there when their open, and this was a sawing weekend for me.

The IPL that i have states "1135 007 1001". The number seems to be for the kit.

There is no part number for the clutch drum. They are not availible as seperate item.

Your part number is for the 3/8 rim sprocket 8T kit.
That is helpful info about there being no #specific for the drum. In the IPL that I have, the number that I listed is for "Rim sprocket kit 3/8" 7T" with no separate number for the drum. My saw has a 3/8" 7T drum/sprocket. The rim sprocket kit for the 3/8" 8T has part # ending with "1005". Maybe there is an error?

The "1005" ending, I don`t find in the IPL. Is the 1005 on the drum itself? It`s importand to know: Sometimes the part numbers on the part itself are different as the "real part or order numbers" in the IPL. I have often seen this and the IPL numbers are right.

i went to the local saw shop this morning. the clutch drum had been worn into the clutch center (hex part). it seemed that the drum was sitting a little lower than it should, thus the friction that i was still feeling.... so i bought a new clutch drum.

i reassembled the saw, added freshly mixed gas, added bar oil, and now it dies with open throttle. <ugh> i have the carb set "L" and "H" set and recommended setting. except for the occasional spark, it seemed to have been running fine before (a few days ago).

maybe i didn't screw in the spark plug tight enough? when i removed the clutch over the weekend, i first used a rubber fuel hose that i had laying around. a small piece broke off in the cylinder. i took off the muffler to retrieve that piece via the exhaust port. maybe i mis-assembled the muffler back onto the head wrong? i have been pretty careful about re-assembling the saw. am i missing something obvious?

thanks

thanks for the response. the "H" is opened up as much as it goes. I believe the limiters (if that's what they're called) are still on the saw. I have seen threads offhandedly discussing removing the limiters to increase adjustment on the carb, but haven't found "the" thread on the subject. would be happy if somebody pointed me in the correct direction.

Thanks

Back