Bringing back a 621 Jonsereds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next up is to install the flywheel....always make absolutely certain that the magnets have not attracted an item or two before you put the flywheel on....this is another of those "learned" things..... I always liked the flywheels on the 621, 80 and 90.....I dunno they just look so.......classy...and well made.
I also reinstalled the clutch at the same time...

621 for Rob 034.JPG 621 for Rob 035.JPG

Jonsered supplied a special tool with the 621 (and other saws as well but I haven't owned any of those) to aid in clutch removal. A simple metal plate that hooks through one of two slots on the clutch drum and under the crankcase of the saw to lock it in place when removing and installing the nut. I lost mine for a while, and when it reappeared in my tool box I proceeded to make a copy.

If I have time and remember it, I will take some photos of the original and my copy.

Mark

It is now time to deal with the recoil cover.....the recoil itself was in fine condition...other than the anemic little pull cord handle.....the new owner might have to find the proper handle his self as I don't seen to have any extra right now.....again after 30-40 years the rubber handles give up or makes your hand black every time you use them....
The recoil screen was rather dented but completely functional.....but......since I have plenty NOS screens for the 621..why not make it right? Nothing contributes to overall shabbiness more than a beat screen.......it shows not only use which is fine but it shows abuse as well...LOL!!! The angle of the shot doesn't really show how dented it was I see now.....621 for Rob 036.JPG

Jonsered supplied a special tool with the 621 (and other saws as well but I haven't owned any of those) to aid in clutch removal. A simple metal plate that hooks through one of two slots on the clutch drum and under the crankcase of the saw to lock it in place when removing and installing the nut. I lost mine for a while, and when it reappeared in my tool box I proceeded to make a copy.

If I have time and remember it, I will take some photos of the original and my copy.

Mark
Sweet...that would be great...don't think I've seen one before.

Somewhat similar but actually closer to the 80 or perhaps I should say the 80 is more like the 621. But of the Jonsereds that are like different models the 621 stands rather alone. It has a totally different trigger handle/AV assembly than all the others, which is a holdover from it's ancestors the 60/601. Then it became the 62 which is indistinguishable from the 621. The 111S is that way too, being a very different way of doing things/design than all the others. As Mark said, the 621 was way ahead of the curve in the chainsaw world when it came on the market.

There surely were a few differences between most 62s and most 621 - but I don't think anyone knows which differences appeared exactly when the designation changed. Then we usually don't know what has been changed later on (most) saws that old - so some 62s no doubt look like 621s today. The serial number surely will help.

The change from 3 to 4 rows of holes in the "silver" colored screen on the recoil cover did not happen at that exact time, but a bit into 621 production - but I don't know if the color change and clutch side attachment of the handlebar did.
Until proven wrong, I believe the change of the handlebar attachment was the main reason for the designation change....

So I drilled out the rivets and installed a NOS screen with new rivets.......sweet......but now the mangled Jonsereds sticker looks even worse.....damn......now I got to pony up one of my VERY FEW NOS recoil stickers....I had in my hand the NOS one and the common aftermarket one......oh man.....I couldn't put the AM one on.....though they look the same, they are not....they are just not the same quality.....just wouldn't be right!!....LOL!!!

621 for Rob 037.JPG 621 for Rob 038.JPG

There surely were a few differences between most 62s and most 621 - but I don't think anyone knows which differences appeared exactly when the designation changed. Then we usually don't know what has been changed later on (most) saws that old - so some 62s no doubt look like 621s today. The serial number surely will help.

The change from 3 to 4 rows of holes in the "silver" colored screen on the recoil cover did not happen at that exact time, but a bit into 621 production - but I don't know if the color change and clutch side attachment of the handlebar did.
Until proven wrong, I believe the change of the handlebar attachment was the main reason for the designation change....

I was unaware of the handle bar attachment change......I have a 62 shop manual at the shop.....I will look into this and see if I can gain any more info. This saw is a later production model...

I was unaware of the handle bar attachment change......I have a 62 shop manual at the shop.....I will look into this and see if I can gain any more info. This saw is a later production model...

On the 62 the handlebar was attached to the bracket with a pin, while it was clamped in place with a short bolt on the 621.

What method did you use to clean the parts before reassembly? They are perfectly clean but not oily at all suggesting something other than a parts washer.

BTW, best build thread I have seen in a long time!

Thanks!! Just a parts brush and gasoline followed by lots of compressed air followed by a rub down with a clean rag...nothing very high tech!!!

Back