Bringing back a 621 Jonsereds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.....got the recoil on......sent the carb through the UC for 20 mins. or so, then blew the body out and with the little red tube on the WD-40 can, squirted WD in the H&L hole where the needle valves go to see if the orifices were clear of debris.....nice and clear one jet on the H side and two on the L just like it's supposed to be. One thing different I found when I removed the carb was the gasket....never seen one like it before...quite heavy and somewhat rubber like. It was in good shape so I reused it. Has anyone seen this type before.?....pic is of a NOS OEM Jonsereds paper gasket next to the black one that came on this saw. Note that when I placed both gaskets on the graph paper I oriented them to line up the carb bolt holes on the line on the paper so that it shows how the gasket mounts.
621 for Rob 040.JPG

Got the muffler reinstalled with a NOS gasket and was ready to install the carb but then decided to check the fuel line and tank check valve function. The white plastic block under the left side of the carb serves this purpose. I removed the four screws and took the block out with both fuel lines and the vent line. Amazingly the fuel lines both in the tank and from the block to the carb were in perfect order as was the vent line....however the check valve was stuck closed and someone had over tightened it in the plastic block and stripped the threads. This would be a potential fuel leak not to mention a non venting tank situation. I removed the block form a 90 parts saw....same thing as for the 621....check valve was free and threaded in tight. Switched the fuel lines from the old to the new and replaced the block with another NOS OEM gasket and installed the carb and air cleaner mount.

621 for Rob 042.JPG

So.......back to the 621. Just putting all the little bits back on. Still finding things broken/worn items to replace....new brass cotter pin for the choke rod,,,new NOS air filter cover. The original was bent/distorted....I believe this saw suffered some sort of trauma.....never seen a plastic cover bent so. I think the top cover has been replaced with a used one. It seems much more worn than the rest of this saw.....it has a crack started in the usual place midway across the air filter hole. This takes many, many hrs. of vibration to achieve. Mismatched hand guard screws, loss of paint...though they all suffer from that. Perhaps the new owner can uncover an NOS one from somewhere......it would really make a vast improvement in the looks of this saw.....which is in generally excellent condition otherwise. However this one is serviceable and an easy thing to change out later. The rim drive is not new but at about 75% and since it is getting a used bar and chain it will be fine for the time being....it is a 3/8" X 8 pin drive. The bar is a very nice 20" Windsor Speed Tip. It has been ground, squared and dressed...tip is tight. Chain is Oregon full chisel at about 60% , fresh ground and rakers set at 0.030" These did not come on the saw....just items in my supply. Can't hand a guy a fresh rebuilt saw without a B&C!!!!!

621 for Rob 001.JPG 621 for Rob 002.JPG 621 for Rob 003.JPG 621 for Rob 005.JPG

So saw beautification isn't your only skill! Nice work, sir. Good photographer!
Why, thank you.....not sure I've ever received that compliment before!! Using a way obsolete Minolta 5.2 mpxl. It's so slow it has to be tripod mounted.....even then it will get "the blurs" occasionally...I have a much nicer/way faster Nikon but keep the Minolta as my "shop camera"...it doesn't seem mind the dust and knocking around it's exposed to.

Well....here it is complete......you can see what I meant about the top cover showing a lot of wear.....especially from starting and by comparing it to the trigger handle wear which is a prime indicator to me on these old all metal saws of just how many hours it has been held/used.

621 for Rob 006.JPG 621 for Rob 008.JPG 621 for Rob 009.JPG 621 for Rob 010.JPG

There seemed to be a lot of grumbling coming from under the bench as I was taking those last pics.....the rest of the 621 gang was unhappy with all the attention I was lavishing (their words) on the newbe.....so here they are with the newbe.....the one with the Windsor bar was the very first Jonserds I ever rebuilt....boy....that snowballed !! Actually combined two non running ones to make one....it is still a favorite of mine....so smooth and easy to use....had them both under the bench for 15 years.....actually two different benches.....9 years in my old shop and then 6 more after I moved to my current shop...they were pretty dusty and they weren't exactly clean when given to me by a pulpwood logger.....LOL!!! The other one with the Total bar I picked off ebay a few years back.....points file and carb kit was all it needed......nice saw too....but not as dear to me as the other.:havingarest:

621 for Rob 011.JPG 621 for Rob 012.JPG 621 for Rob 013.JPG 621 for Rob 014.JPG

The serial numbers of those 621s would of course be interesting. The one this is about looks like about a mid production one, but if certain parts have been changed out (clutch cover) or added later (high front handguard and rear handguard) that picture changes....

Btw, the transition from model 62 to 621 seems to have happened somewhere between serial number 316xxx and 334xxx.

So far it looks like 621 numbers "jumped" from the "3" series to the "8" series, without any number being inbetween.

This is what kept me from trying to complete the 621 yesterday......had to make two dozen of these for another local contractor....darn work always slows a good saw project down, but it keeps the lights on.....sigh...we do what we must.

View attachment 516548
This is very minor on what he can and does do full time . Very nice work as always Robin !

There seemed to be a lot of grumbling coming from under the bench as I was taking those last pics.....the rest of the 621 gang was unhappy with all the attention I was lavishing (their words) on the newbe.....so here they are with the newbe.....the one with the Windsor bar was the very first Jonserds I ever rebuilt....boy....that snowballed !! Actually combined two non running ones to make one....it is still a favorite of mine....so smooth and easy to use....had them both under the bench for 15 years.....actually two different benches.....9 years in my old shop and then 6 more after I moved to my current shop...they were pretty dusty and they weren't exactly clean when given to me by a pulpwood logger.....LOL!!! The other one with the Total bar I picked off ebay a few years back.....points file and carb kit was all it needed......nice saw too....but not as dear to me as the other.:havingarest:

View attachment 516561 View attachment 516562 View attachment 516563 View attachment 516564
Very nice bunch of saws ya got there ! I know the new owner will be super happy with his like new inside 621 !

The serial numbers of those 621s would of course be interesting. The one this is about looks like about a mid production one, but if certain parts have been changed out (clutch cover) or added later (high front handguard and rear handguard) that picture changes....

Btw, the transition from model 62 to 621 seems to have happened somewhere between serial number 316xxx and 334xxx.

So far it looks like 621 numbers "jumped" from the "3" series to the "8" series, without any number being inbetween.

I just enlarged one of the pictures of the 621 this is about, and could read the serial number - which I believe indicate a very late 1970s one. This makes me suspect the clutch cover is from an older saw, like the top cover (or is an older stock spare).

The number is between the numbers of two 621s I have been told were sold in Australia in 1979, but that is of course not exact info on when the saws were made.

Well this thread is really just beginning......and you all thought it was over!!! LOL!!! As I said earlier I hit a snag......well....several snags. Worked my way through them......and now it runs.....or at least it did. Off to the woodpile to hopefully burn a tank and get this thing on it's way to broken in......after one heat cycle she pulls 200 lbs of compression.... dead even on 200 lbs. I expect once broken in she be around 220 give or take. Have much more info and pics but probably won't have time to get any more up today.....the bride has me scheduled up pretty tight for the next 12 hrs or so...and after that I probably won't be worth much and will need a pillow!!!

Niko I saw what you meant about the top handle clamp on the 62.....took some pics. I will get the number off all three 621 too.

BBL.....

Well this thread is really just beginning......and you all thought it was over!!! LOL!!! As I said earlier I hit a snag......well....several snags. Worked my way through them......and now it runs.....or at least it did. Off to the woodpile to hopefully burn a tank and get this thing on it's way to broken in......after one heat cycle she pulls 200 lbs of compression.... dead even on 200 lbs. I expect once broken in she be around 120 give or take. Have much more info and pics but probably won't have time to get any more up today.....the bride has me scheduled up pretty tight for the next 12 hrs or so...and after that I probably won't be worth much and will need a pillow!!!

Niko I saw what you meant about the top handle clamp on the 62.....took some pics. I will get the number off all three 621 too.

BBL.....

I assume you meant to say 220?

Apart from that, I am of course most curious of the serial number in the one that says Jonsereds 621 in italics on it, as that should be a quite early one (unless the bracket with the label has been swapped at some point). As you likely know, the earliest ones said Raket 621, but I don't know when it changed (neither time or serial number).

Latest posts

Back