Broke my axe handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now on axe handle #4 for this 6yo axe. Gotta say this is my best fit yet. I had to visit several hardware stores till I found a straight and tight grained piece of wood with a proper kerf cut. Fit is about perfect after the insertion of the boiled linseed oil soaked wood wedge and the metal wedges.

This also gave me the chance to refinish the head, gave it a good sharpening and some nice red spray paint. The handle is silky smooth after sanding and the first of several boiled linseed applications.

The axe is better then new! :)

To replace an axe handle 4 times in 6 years is too expensive and too much effort in my opinion. I would look for an alternative.Yes, Fiskars. I have had my x27 for more than 6 years and split everything by hand and it is still busting logs.No problems ever.And if it does break I send it back to Fiskars for a free brand new one. Life's difficult as it is.

My X27 is 4 years old and still perfect. I use it to split 6+ cords of wood a year. The axe in the post is my woods axe, that I use in cutting and gathering wood. It gets used as a wedge, a carry handle, for bucking limbs, kindling, and others. Now I will admit that my first 2 handles went to the wood pile very quickly, over strikes and attempting to pry a split along. This last handle lasted over 3 years, and I was very surprised when it did splinter. A defect deep in the wood that finally gave way a few weeks ago.

There is just something about a Hickory handle axe. I just like the feel of wooden handle axe. Fiskars is great but lacks the soul of the Hickory handle axe.

If your axe is used as a wedge how do you keep it looking new?
I agree with the hickory handle having more soul but to me firewood is about saving money on heating my home so if I have to incur a cost that I can cut out of my budget then I will.
If money was no object I would buy a Granfors or Iltis Ox Head etc. for the forest.
Your axe does look great by the way.

If your axe is used as a wedge how do you keep it looking new?

Usually an Angle Grinder and a coarse sanding wheel, and occasionally the bench grinder. I held this up to its backup axe and this old friend is about 3/8 to 1/2 inch shorter then when new. I'm still filing/sharpening out, what was once a big knick, near the bottom of the cutting edge. Back in the Handle #1 days, I wasn't all that careful about it not hitting rocks, back when I had to replace chains all to frequently.

I would not have bought that handle. You want the grain lines to be in line with the force. With the grain aligned at right angles to the strike like that handle is, I expect you'll be installing handle #5 in the not too distant future.

It amazes me that the various companies that make handles and axes do not care enough about their product to align the grain in their blanks. I was looking at splitters the other day, and half the handles had the grain aligned at 45 degrees to the head. I guess they sell more handles that way. :nofunny:
fafc369006857a2b48e96da58d52a290.jpg

Well at least it will be stronger in prying mode.

Finding a good handle is tough around here. Wanting a straight handle for a 5# axe, I settled for a post maul handle. Of course the grain is 90* off and the sides too thick for spitting but I use it primarily for driving falling wedges. I've been debating chancing an internet buy to replace the handle now or just wait for it to break. The weak link is a possible shear right at the juncture of the head and the handle - plenty of strength despite the horizontal grain in the rest of the handle. I'm sure if I shave the sides that I will just increase the shear prone area.

Ron

I think certain things have to be thought about other than purely financial. I love my x27 but I agree that it doesn't have that wooden handle feeling. Most of us guys have so few vices what's an extra handle among friends?

I think certain things have to be thought about other than purely financial. I love my x27 but I agree that it doesn't have that wooden handle feeling. Most of us guys have so few vices what's an extra handle among friends?
When I was slicing the ash, a woodworking neighbor in his 80's asked for some pieces to replace his handles. I'm trying his idea in my auction finds that need handled

Latest posts

Back