Brought some wood in today..now to work it up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
17mfxepa3l63mjpg.jpg

Lots of btu's laying there. Saw this on the web and figured you guys would have your jaw drop like mine did!

The mill my Dad works at makes OSB and they have sprinklers on the logs decks in the summer as well as a large heated pond the logs soak in before going in for processing.
My Dad was saying they use about 600 cords a day, or roughly 15,000 cords a month.

those particular piles are very long, but that amount of wood in a pulpwood stock yard is pretty common, its just spread out with more piles...the bigger operations use overhead cranes with huge grapples to move the wood. they have the biggest equipment in the industry for those little logs:)

When I went to Alaska several years ago I saw piles of spruce similar to this that was killed by beetles. I was told it was being loaded on Japanese factory ships to be made into OSB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connor's Pond, Harvard Forest, Petersham, MA following the '38 Hurricane -- hauling logs out onto the frozen pond in winter, so they'll sink and be covered in water until they can later be retrieved to be milled. Lest beetles and the like got to them in the several years it took to process the windfall. (And if WWII didn't come along and ramp up lumber purchases for military bases, who knows how many more years it would've taken.)

SlabCity_1939_ConnorsPondHurricaneSalvage_AJL.jpg

SlabCity_1939_ConnorsPond_AJL.jpg

Connor's Pond, Harvard Forest, Petersham, MA following the '38 Hurricane -- hauling logs out onto the frozen pond in winter, so they'll sink and be covered in water until they can later be retrieved to be milled. Lest beetles and the like got to them in the several years it took to process the windfall. (And if WWII didn't come along and ramp up lumber purchases for military bases, who knows how many more years it would've taken.)

SlabCity_1939_ConnorsPondHurricaneSalvage_AJL.jpg

SlabCity_1939_ConnorsPond_AJL.jpg
That's only 2 towns over from me...i haven't been up there in a long time though

That is pretty cool. Did they have chain saws in '38?

Rudimentary ones.

The work would have been done almost entirely by hand saws and axes.

I do remember reading a USFS study clearing portage trails in the Boundary Waters National Forest(?) following a large blow down. The hand saw crew *nearly* equalled the chainsaw guys -- it was something like 15 miles of trails cleared by chainsaws v. 14-1/2 miles by human-powered tools over the two weeks. Now that was experienced crews with properly maintained tools, stuff the guys clearing the Harvard Forest would have had, but not necessarily your local farmers.

Folks also used somewhat different techniques back then to take advantage of what they had for power -- that's why a lot of smaller stuff was cut to 4' lengths and hauled out that size, then cut on cord wood saws powered by horses or a tractor back at the farm yard.

I'd almost suspect the bigger issue labor wise wasn't sawing -- it's that they didn't have chippers!

All that brush had to be hauled away and stacked up by hand somewhere to rot, or stacked up and burned.

Back