Buck double door stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlkdvm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Buck fireplace insert that was in my house when I bought it 18 years ago. It is located near the center of the house. I burn mostly red oak. I can barely see any smoke from the chimney when I am burning wood and the chimney has been extremely clean when I run a brush through it. The stove puts out more heat than I really need. I have thought about replacing it for two reasons: 1) burn time is not as long as I would like and 2) the fan is really noisy. Reason number 1 is a lot more important to me than reason number 2.

If I replace it I will get another fireplace insert. I would like a freestanding stove, but the dimensions of the room the fireplace is in won't really permit that. Is there a modern fireplace insert that would give me significantly longer burn times? Would I have to install a metal chimney liner if I get a new stove? Any opinions welcome.

I have the same stove, the medium size one.

Lack of smoke is a good thing, it means you've got full combustion going on in the firebox. Less creosote builds up that way.

I only get smoke on first start, most all stoves do.

I've managed to get anywhere from 6-12 hr. burn times from mine, this depends on your wood and how well you fill the stove with wood.

Mine likes to heat my living room to the upper 80's too but the rest of the house will be just right usually.

It's a dinosaur for sure but it works well.

As for getting newer stove, buck still makes stoves similar to that one but they're real expensive and newer EPA stoves supposedly get longer burn time with less emissions

But your wood needs to be perfectly dry for the stove to work right.

Lots of choices out there...

Have you check these sites out yet?

www.woodheat.org
www.**********

Those could help you in the right direction for a replacement stove.
Of course the folk here are very helpful too.

Last edited:
I Have one also, I believe it's called a Model 27,000. The Fan is loud, But that Baby will blow out air in the high 200*s. If packed right and all your seals are good you can burn 8+hrs easy with good wood. They now make a Model 182 (I think thats it) that has a 4cf firebox, that will be my next if this one ever retires. I Love my Buck. Very good quality, I'm sold on them :)

Back