Build a garage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave in Westbury

Reaction score
I have a small piece of property and in the back corner is a 50' tall oak tree with a 3 1/2' wide trunk. I need to build a garage and the only spot is in front of the tree. My question is how close to the tree can I build the garage without endangering the tree ? And the width is also an issue keeping the garage to one side of the property

X3

I know from experience. I built a shed by a tall oak and should have taken it down. It would have been no big deal to drop it now it's a leaner over the shed and I noticed ants going in and out of the bottom. It went from drop it anywhere to I need to figure out how to not drop it on a shed..

My house is in the woods completely surrounded by trees. Every time there's a large storm I'm cutting up branches ,trees, and so on. You build a new garage and a large branch falls on it you are going to wish you took the tree down. I have healthy looking trees with leaves and all tip over or break off all the time. More often than the dead ones. I've been waiting a few years for some dead ones to fall.

Unless you own a bucket truck or climb, it's going to end up costing more money in the long run by leaving it. However if you do leave it please leave equipment access to the tree when or if it dies. A small percentage of my work comes from healthy trees that got mad and died from a house or building placed too close to them.

I have a small piece of property and in the back corner is a 50' tall oak tree with a 3 1/2' wide trunk. I need to build a garage and the only spot is in front of the tree. My question is how close to the tree can I build the garage without endangering the tree ? And the width is also an issue keeping the garage to one side of the property
Typically tree roots can be as large spread as the canopy so you could build anywhere that's not under the tree.
Look at the tree and picture it mirrored for roots underground.

At 3 1/2 feet across, are you sure it's only 50' tall?

I would say you could build up to the drip line. If I was on site, I would probably say a little closer, but hard to say. I'm of the belief that most tree species can handle a little impact to their roots.

Back