Build a hydraulic wood splitter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustyplans

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I wish to build a Hydraulic wood splitter...but have no idea where to start. The frame I get, but the hydraulics are a bit fuzzy to me. I have a new 9hp Honda to start with, what els do I need to make this project a good splitter. Pumps, cylinders, valves, all that? Anyone out there have a good idea, or built on that will do a decent job that would be willing to share the technical stuff with me?

Look in the "stickies" section under wood splitter picture thread. the search option will give you loads of ideas as well. My build is below. Honestly, if you do not have the components on hand other than the motor, you will have more in the parts alone than just buying a new one from the box stores, let alone the time and tools involved. If you want something different or just a project that is fine. Don't kid yourself though, doing it because "you can do it cheaper" doesn't fly anymore with steel prices the way they are.

Minimum would have to be 16 inches, but as I grow and put in outdoor wood boilers, 24 would be nice for the lengths. Diameters range from 6-24+ inches. From the research I have done, I find tat a general rule of thumb to be 1/2 hp per gpm. So my engine should be able to push a pump that is rated out for 18 gpm...but that is maxed out...so for comfort and wear and tear on the engine, I am thinking 16gpm would be about ideal.

Any thoughts or corrections on my thinking?

You just won't have a fast cycle time with a 16GPM pump. A 4 inch diameter cylinder would not be that bad but a 5 inch would be pretty slow. The plus side with a 16gpm pump is you will have less heat issues with the fluid.

The biggest thing for me as far as comfort goes is the height of the beam, placement of valves. Those things, for me anyway, that make a big difference as far as comfort goes. Again, tradeoffs here as you have to lift rounds that high. If you do a lot of bigger stuff you'll want a lift of some kind.

9HP Honda
16gpm pump
4" Bore cylinder with 2" shaft and 24" stroke
love joy couplers for pump and engine
pump mount
10+ gal hydraulic tank + filter for 16gpm+
single spool with detent valve..... Or 2-spool if you are building one with a log lift
pressure gauge
hydraulic fittings and hoses according to what you need

I wouldn't go over a 4" cylinder bore or cycle time would be low. If you go with a 22gpm pump you would need 13hp or so,,,

I personally think a 4.5" and 16 gpm pump is a fair combo... Go with a 3000psi cylinder and you can run a 4 way wedge on most logs.

To me being able to have the tonnage to run a four way makes up for the slower cycle time.

Just build one like this. Lifting grapple, hydraulically adjustable 4 way wedge. Makes splitting wood easy peasy.

17a4287f70bace46badfa50a1652b422.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not mine. It had a hydraulic motor on it with gears that spin the boom. I'm pretty sure. It's been a while since I've seen it.

Just build one like this. Lifting grapple, hydraulically adjustable 4 way wedge. Makes splitting wood easy peasy.

17a4287f70bace46badfa50a1652b422.jpg

Now that would be Sweet!!! just a bit much for my little 9HP. I do however have a couple 18's, 22's and a 24 HP motor I could always upgrade too. But for now, to learn the basics, I think I will stick with a much simpler hydraulic wood splitter.

Looks like this is going to get spendy. Are there better choices to go through for hydraulics. I have been looking at Northern Tool.

Yup. Buy it. Unless you need it made some weird queer way for your application.

O built my own. But I don't only split wood. :D

I agree with the "buy it" crowd if all you want is a basic splitter. Some of the cheaper ones sold for around 1K will be more than adequate for your needs.
I built mine but I had two things in mind, fast and a lift, I couldn't be happier with it. Oh and I've got less than 1K in it.

Latest posts

Back