Build or buy OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Wayne

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Last fall I started building a boiler and that project keeps getting pushed back. And like any other project of this nature there is an element of second guessing the design and if it will work right. With that being said, all I have is a firebox, and the steel for a water jacket. No pumps, controllers, insulation, outer shell... Now I have found a
Mahoning for sale for $3500 I think it is a model 500 as the tag says it holds 551 gal. If I am not too late as is the
usual case for me, I am thinking this might be the more economical way to go. Your thoughts?
Thanks.

Not familiar with that model but unless you have significantly more time than money I'd probably buy that one. Of course you can build a boiler as good or better than the commercial models but there is a learning curve.

David, been there done that. I had plans to build my own owb. I have the ability and the tools and would have found the time. I was researching ways to make one and also keeping an eye out for a used one. I found a used furnace for a shop I was building and when I when to pick it up the guy had a used owb sitting there. We got to talking and he said he bought it used to heat his shop but just got some bad health news and wasn't going to be needing a heated shop anymore. I ended up buying it and a year later I installed it. I ended up paying less money for it then I would have had building a new one, granted it is an older one. It's also a stainless one which I would not have built. I still think I'm way ahead of the game as I was able to get it installed and up and running a lot quicker than if had of built it. I still plan to build one some day, I just keep pushing that day away.

Thanks for the replies, I will do some math, propane is under $1 but for how long? I too have the resources to build but I retired back in Jan. Dont seem like I have any spare time now. Look at my avatar, house is falling down around me lol. Anyway I looked up Mahoning, they are made in Pa. and the reviews I have found are positive, if you can believe them.
Thanks again

David, I carry about $500 cash on me at all times, a down payment on the spot. I really hate to miss a good deal. And my fenceline is full of good deals.
I agree but it was a Craigslist deal, Hour and a half away so I never had that opportunity. Shoot he might have sold it a month ago for all I know, The add is still up tonight.
I wish people would delete them when they sell the item. I should give his # to about 20 people and have them call, maybe then he would get the idea to remove the add.

Latest posts

Back