Bulding a chainsaw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewwtx

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, I've read so many threads and I've looked at a lot of pictures and I think I'm ready to build a small mill. Small as in no bigger than 8 ft long logs or bigger than 20inch diameter.

I have plenty of angle iron, square tubing and little welder. what I'm not sure on is what threaded rod, sprockets or bearings I should get.

Any suggestions? Or can anyone point me to a thread with an awesome build along for the Procut style mill.

Procut sells their plans for about $100, but building one of their mills is a big production compared to the much simpler Granberg style. Certainly, its a nice unit and better in a variety of ways, but if you're just starting out or only doing hobby cuts, this is a pretty descent investment of time and resources. You might even consider a Granberg small log mill (or making one yourself) just to get a taste of things. Just need some angle iron and a couple u-bolts. No sprockets or bearings needed. (there are lots of varieties, from advanced to super-minimal. Some guys just use two threaded rods, a flat wood board, and some wood blocks for spacers)

And is this to be used with the 365sp you were worried was fake (if I'm remembering your other posting)? That could be a bit on the small side for milling, but if you're not going over 20" wood you'll probably be OK (just take it easy). But I just wonder if putting together such big build would be appropriate for a small-end mill saw. But sure, if you want a nice cut and like building stuff for fun, by all means go for it! (but be sure to allow whatever you make to handle a larger bar and/or saw, cause you will probably want to upgrade sometime soon:yes:. Welcome to milling!)

Here are a couple of pictures of the mill I built out of inch box tube, right angle, and solid inch tubing. It's made for a 36" & 42" bar and is about 12" across.
image.jpeg
The top bar acts to secure and hold the uprights as added security to prevent the base from slipping.
image.jpeg
The tubing at each end are the primary source of securing the uprights and the solid steel tubing fits snugly within the tube. There are a second set of holes for the right brace to shorten the frame length to accomodate the 36" bar.
image.jpeg
It's all made out of scrap that was lying around we welded nuts to use as grub screws to hold the uprights. Hope this all helps. If you want more detailed photos of anything let me know.
Regards DaveL

yes.... same saw. I may be jumping the gun but it just looks like to much fun not to build.

My original plan and I still want to anyway was to make one like Daves, but someone left a bunch of angle iron in our metal bin at work and when I saw it I imagined a track to roll on. I had remembered seeing the Procut design but it was just to big for what I want. I kept looking and I found a couple variants that are just laid on the ground. I want to take this idea and maybe downsize it. The rolling unit part maybe have full size like you said, I can always put a bigger saw in it.

As far as using the 365sp, what I will be milling will be small compared to what most of you guys are doing, but it just looks to awesome not to do. I'm sure some of you can relate to that lol.

I think I will take some scrap pieces and bolt up a little something and see how I like it. If it turns out good I'll cut some of the better material I have, weld it up and paint it nice and pretty. I'll try and start this, this weekend and post some pics.

I see some areas where I would want to change the design of a Procut mill, but those are based on my experience using a granberg mill. I think with all the time and work involved with building a Procut style mill having some experience and knowing a bit about how you will be using the wood will enable you to build what is most suitable to your needs. You will likely still need an Alaskan style mill for those times you cant get the log to your procut, or you can always sell the Alaskan mill. You might even decide a band mill is more suitable to your needs, or an Alaskan suits you just fine.

I definitely want an Alaskan style mill. I just also see some extra material laying around and think I would like a rolling unit.

Back