Bundler Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris(Glen)

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am always thinking of ways to expand my business and with the American Dollar I decided to get a friend of mine to start building me a Bundler. He's wayyyyy better then I at doing small projects from start to finish. I have lots of vision for it just no skill to do it.. I will be posting pictures and such as he goes. If all goes well we have been talking of selling this for other firewood suppliers across Canada to save the boarder issues & american dollar.

Attachments

• 13059299_10153572343396463_1172569372_n.jpg
    13059299_10153572343396463_1172569372_n.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 13078339_10153573436586463_1025793818_o.jpg
    13078339_10153573436586463_1025793818_o.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 13115819_10153587406291463_1033991086_n.jpg
    13115819_10153587406291463_1033991086_n.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 153
looks good but I think you might need another holder to hold the firewood as the arm spins around it.

Oh there is going to be another support. these are just the drawings I was able to get for now.
kewl!!! looking good please keep the pictures comin. I may be building a bundler myself in the near future. :popcorn2:

I bought a hand crank wood bundler from, John's Welding LLC. Back in 2008. I thought I needed an electric motor to spin the shrink wrap around the wood. This has never been necessary. I have found the time consuming part was getting the split pieces to fit well in the square frame before it is wrapped. You do not want the bundle too small or too large or have sharp edged exposed to cut the stretch wrap film. My process is fill the bundler with wood, wrap three wraps around the bundle, insert flyer wrap three additional times cut the film and remove form the bundler, than staple handle on to bundle and store or load for sale. I have sold hundreds of bundles using this method. Haven't posted in a few years, just started making bundles again recently, thanks David

I bought a hand crank wood bundler from, Johns firewood. Back in 2008. I thought I needed an electric motor to spin the shrink wrap around the wood. This has never been necessary. I have found the time consuming part was getting the split pieces to fit well in the square frame before it is wrapped. You do not want the bundle too small or too large or have sharp edged exposed to cut the stretch wrap film. My process is fill the bundler with wood, wrap three wraps around the bundle, insert flyer wrap three additional times cut the film and remove form the bundler, than staple handle on to bundle and store or load for sale. I have sold hundreds of bundles using this method. Haven't posted in a few years, just started making bundles again recently, thanks David

Sounds like you might want to look into better stretch wrap. My bundles weigh about 30lbs and hold together fine with 4 wraps. Even 2 wraps would almost be enough.

I do 3 wraps, stick business card in (cheap from Vista Print) and one more wrap.
If I did 3 wraps over the card, customers wouldn't be able to read it well.

I bought mine from John's Welding and bought 4 cases of wrap from them. It uses 12" wrap.

I'll have to special order some in when I run out, locally I can't get 12". Have tried cutting longer rolls down (18") but have had no luck.

I can do about 150 bundles on 1 roll of wrap. At ~$30 a roll (shipping is $$) I try not to waste.

Price sounds kind of high for wrap. I would do an internet search for prices. The shipping hard to avoid in Alaska. I do like the bundler though. John recommends 8 wraps. I do not know what mil the film thickness is though. Thanks for the reply, David

Sounds like you might want to look into better stretch wrap. My bundles weigh about 30lbs and hold together fine with 4 wraps. Even 2 wraps would almost be enough.

I do 3 wraps, stick business card in (cheap from Vista Print) and one more wrap.
If I did 3 wraps over the card, customers wouldn't be able to read it well.

I bought mine from John's Welding and bought 4 cases of wrap from them. It uses 12" wrap.

I'll have to special order some in when I run out, locally I can't get 12". Have tried cutting longer rolls down (18") but have had no luck.

I can do about 150 bundles on 1 roll of wrap. At ~$30 a roll (shipping is $$) I try not to waste.
In fact, about $15 for a 12" roll with shipping is available. Price varies based on gauge. Shop around because several suppliers are available.

No "free shipping" to AK that I've found.

A box of wrap is about 25lbs. I've been quoted $60-80 for shipping per box, so roughly costing $30+ a roll.

I guess I could buy a pallet of wrap and have it barge shipped though I'd last quite a while. I've used 5 rolls in 2 years. Granted last year was the first year. Word of mouth has spread, I've had many folks drive 3 miles from the local gas station selling the 4 sticks for $6 bundles to buy mine.

It's kind of my bad weather work. I can dump the wood in the shop and still be productive if it's raining, windy, or too hot/cold. Or I might make a dozen or two to finish off a night.

I've never talked to John, but I seem to remember his wife said 4 wraps is what they do on the bundles they sell. I'll ask her just out of curiousity.

I've been doing bundles for 2 years and not had any issue with them coming apart. The wrap is quite strong.

$1 a stick is the typical price around here, so figure $5 a bundle. My price is half that. Sales are good except for the miserable weather days. High humidity is probably my worst enemy. Even the fisherman have trouble with it. High humidity also produces more rubbery lichens that eat up the firewood logs.

Yup, I sell them at $5/bundle, 5 bundles for $20. I've had people buy $100 worth, they didn't want the mess of bulk wood.

I just make mine a "generous cubic foot" where most of the grocery store/gas station ones are .75 cu ft.

I bought a grocery store one to show people but I guess someone bought or took it cause it's gone. Had it sta shed away too!

Just about to finally get this thing finished.... Wonder what gauge wrap everyone is using? I picked up some U Line 55 Gauge Cast which is supposed to be close to standard 80 gauge stuff. Seems thin to me though. Let me know what your using

Back