Burning cottonwood...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been watching this thread and shaking my head, mostly in agreement. Those who burn cottonwood are in the same boat as myself. We absolutly do not have the hardwoods that most do. Around here you can drive for 20 or more miles and never see a tree, axcept around the river or dry creeks. So with that said, you better believe that we burn tons of cottonwood, as they are plentiful near farms and by the river. To us a "score" is a standing white cottonwood!! We just got the ok to go get four of these lovely giants out of a field, one is down and the other three are standing!!! Drool drool!! My 660 finally has a date!! With cottonwood, you just have to learn about it as you burn it, it is a bit ash heavy, not bad to split once you figure out how to split it, split it with the growth rings and just keep flaking off pieces. Do not bother with the nasty knots, just saw them (rip), it is not worth the fight.
Many of the cottonwoods here are just giants, 5 to 7 feet dbh, although they are only about 100-125 years old. I have a 6 foot dbh that is still alive waiting for out rendevous also, the bottom is burned out and it had a tree house in it at one time, lots o nails, but it will still be worth it.

I deliver it unsplit and I just packed a truckload of it. Looks something like this:
CottonWoodLoad1.jpg

When it comes time to burn, I prefer other hardwoods. However, cottonwood will get that stove hot faster than just about any firewood that there is. Just mix it with some good stuff (ash, oak, etc.).

It's also great for campfires.

thems some pretty high tech sideboards on that ranger--

Thanks for the replies...!

As usual this forum is a wealth of knowledge.

The stuff stinks bad when fresh split. And mind you, the odor of fresh-split red oak is like an ambrosia to me.

I've changed a few baby diapers that reminded me of fresh-split cottonwood.

The baby diapers line was pretty funny:hmm3grin2orange:. I'm finally starting to appreciate the aroma of fresh-split red oak myself! I remember the first time I split some red oak I had to look around and make sure there wasn't a dead critter somewhere nearby...!

I don't know about the stoves you guys are using but if something is burning hot and fast in my stove and I want it to burn cool and slow I turn the intake air down. The cottonwood burns just fine dampered down and doesn't seem to leave any depsosits on the stove glass.

Are you guys using stoves without air controls?

Again, I've burned lots of dry cottonwood. It's a fine wood. You don't need a large firebox either. You just need to know that you are going to burn X number of lbs of wood today to stay warm and if that number of lbs is lightweight then you will need a whole pile. If that number of lbs is a denser wood then you need a smaller pile. You will need to load more often for a given heat setting when using cottonwood than when using densewood.

The lightest cottonwood is only a bit lighter than normal wood. I suppose the more people out there that think it is a terrible wood only means that the market will be softer on the cottonwood and I can get it for free!

Here's 6 cords of cottonwood with a touch of spruce thrown in. It kept me nice and warm.

I don't know about the stoves you guys are using but if something is burning hot and fast in my stove and I want it to burn cool and slow I turn the intake air down. The cottonwood burns just fine dampered down and doesn't seem to leave any depsosits on the stove glass.

Are you guys using stoves without air controls?

Again, I've burned lots of dry cottonwood. It's a fine wood. You don't need a large firebox either. You just need to know that you are going to burn X number of lbs of wood today to stay warm and if that number of lbs is lightweight then you will need a whole pile. If that number of lbs is a denser wood then you need a smaller pile. You will need to load more often for a given heat setting when using cottonwood than when using densewood.

The lightest cottonwood is only a bit lighter than normal wood. I suppose the more people out there that think it is a terrible wood only means that the market will be softer on the cottonwood and I can get it for free!

Here's 6 cords of cottonwood with a touch of spruce thrown in. It kept me nice and warm.

Haven't burned any cottonwood myself but I definitely try to control my burns on whatever type wood I'm burning.

Very nice looking stack of wood btw...wouldn't mind trying it out in my insert:cheers:

HighBeam said, "Here's 6 cords of cottonwood with a touch of spruce thrown in. It kept me nice and warm."
--------------
I'm behind, but I will try to catch up this Thursday. Customer wants another five loads ASAP. It takes about 2 tanks of fuel in my Echo to cut a load of wood to exact length. He wants 18" to 20".

Then I have to load it and pack it tight, haul it 40 miles, and unload it next to his logsplitter. He says he will take it from there. Darn, I wish his wife was not such a good cook and his beer so cold. :cheers:

I have a few Cotton wood chunks about 10' long and 4' across. I was going to use them for carving but they crack WAY to bad so I guess I will turn them into heat. I will mix them with oak and maple. Hope the ash isn't too much.

I have a few Cotton wood chunks about 10' long and 4' across. I was going to use them for carving but they crack WAY to bad so I guess I will turn them into heat. I will mix them with oak and maple. Hope the ash isn't too much.
Cottonwood ash is anything but a problem. It burns to a fine powder with no leftover chunks. One thing I sometimes do is throw a cottonwood log into a fire that seems to be struggling.

It's like giving the stove a shot of adrenaline.:greenchainsaw:

Some may be confusing Cottonwood with Black Poplar, also known a Bam or Balm of Gilead. Cottonwood burns ok when dry but Black Poplar is on the bottom of the list. White Poplar is also good although better than Cottonwood.
Gypo

Read About the Species

http://www.gpnc.org/cottonwood.htm

This tree lives to be very old. By comparison, some poplars that are confused with them last about 25 to 30 years. The true eastern cottonwood can become enormous and will dwarf a poplar tree. It is characterized by small leaves. Most cottonless poplar hybrids have leaves the size of dinner plates and are undesirable trees by comparison.

Champion cottonwoods are huge and while they grow, they are almost disease free. Even fungi avoid them. Seldom do they die until they reach maturity. I have seen mature specimens over 9 feet in diameter with the first branch over 30 feet from the ground.

http://www.gpnc.org/cottonwood.htm

This tree lives to be very old. By comparison, some poplars that are confused with them last about 25 to 30 years. The true eastern cottonwood can become enormous and will dwarf a poplar tree. It is characterized by small leaves. Most cottonless poplar hybrids have leaves the size of dinner plates and are undesirable trees by comparison.

Champion cottonwoods are huge and while they grow, they are almost disease free. Even fungi avoid them. Seldom do they die until they reach maturity. I have seen mature specimens over 9 feet in diameter with the first branch over 30 feet from the ground.

:agree2: Tell it like it is Doc!

Some very good descriptions of cottonwood trees here. None the less, it is certainly not one of the most desirable woods for heating a home. I've burned plenty and enjoy the heat, but look for harder more dense wood to burn. If you have to burn it, it's not bad smelling, but it is hard to split, and must be cured well.

What the wood smells like is irrelevant to me as I have a furnace. If it is wood and available, it goes in the furnace. Cottonwood definitely smells bad green, but I haven't noticed any smell after it dries. If it is bad, then I am in a bit of a pickle as I have several cords of it split to burn this winter.

Hey Mowoodchopper. If you would put some Amsoil in that saw you could cut that cottonwood faster.:greenchainsaw::clap:

Surprisingly, cottonwood produces almost as much heat per lb as any wood that there is. The problem is, you need big logs becuase the density of cottonwood is small--lots of internal air within. Many stoves haven't the interior volume to hold the logs because you need big cottonwood logs to crank out the heat.

Basswood (linden) and willow are in the same league. The big barrel stoves love cottonwood and crank out enormous heat with it:
DonsWoodStoves.jpg

The barrel stove on the right is used to burn cottonwood. The one on the left burns premium hardwood. The owner says the barrel stove is his bread and butter in January.

I have never seen this barrel stove setup before . Are these standard 45 gal drums? How long do they last? Is the second barrel simply to extract heat from the flue gasses - a kind of expansion chamber that slows down the flow?
Can anyone explain?

Barrel kits for all sizes of drums are available inexpensively. Scroll down:

http://www.northlineexpress.com/category/free-standing-stoves.asp

It's probably the most inexpensive way to heat with wood indoors. Many cabins and camp houses have been outfitted with this type of rig. The upper barrel flue is offset from the lower barrel flue. This slows down the escaping gasses enough to cause the upper barrel to radiate a lot of heat. They are probably on the low end of the efficiency scale - my limited experience with one was that it used up a load of wood fairly fast. Put out a lot of heat, though!

I've seen the kits for sale at the local big box hardware/home improvement warehouses in the fall.

xtm

Thanks xtm, wasn't sure if it was a commercial design or home made, thanks for the link. Doesn't look the kind of thing most wives would want in their living room !

Right you are!

I recall Mrs. xtm commenting that the one we were using in a winter ski cabin looked like a steam locomotive - not really endorsed by Martha Stewart Designs....

xtm

Back