Buy MS261C or keep MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw?

• Total voters
Background: Current stable is an MS361 and an 046 Magnum. The 046 isn't going anywhere since it's the first saw I ever bought, and I just like it. I've never loved the 361, and only use it when the 046 is out of fuel or needs a chain. I've ran a 261 a few years ago and was impressed. I cut firewood for myself/friends/family and mess around with tree work as a side job.

Fast forward to today: It was a frustrating day in chainsaw land, as my 046 unknowingly sat upside down for a few minutes and got completely flooded and wouldn't crank. I was forced to use the 361 to limb and buck up a 100ft tall 3ft diameter red oak.

When I took the 361 out of the case, there was a significant pool of oil that ends up on the truck and my pants and anything the saw gets near before being sat down on the ground ten times. Strike 1. This was not a surprise as this saw has always leaked oil out the oiler really bad. The surprise was the burning sensation on my leg after 5 minutes of running it because of the fuel leaking out the cap. Strike 2. And then i had to cut a bunch of wood with it. Even with a 18" bar, it just doesn't come close to the power of my 046 running a 25" bar. Running the 25" bar was downright aggravating as the 361 just doesn't have the 046 torque. Strike 3.

So I'm at a turning point. Send the 361 off to be ported or buy a 261 and get it ported? The 361 leaks are easy enough to fix so that's really not an issue, just annoyances I don't want to mess with on a backup saw. I feel like I could get decent money for the 361, probably enough to pickup a good used 261.

Don't really want to tread down the Husky or Dolmar path, as I like having interchangeable bar/chain/parts etc and there are no Dolmar or Husky dealers nearby. Plus the Stihls have the right handle orientation and spacing for me. They feel right in my hand and the Huskys don't. Not sure about Dolmar.

So what's the internet chainsaw wisdom say?

Since everybody loves picture and this post is already excessively long...
View attachment 587012
View attachment 587013
You just accurately described why I don't own a 60cc work saw, and haven't for many years now. With a good 40-50cc saw and a 70-80cc saw, a 60cc saw really has no place. While the MS361 is perhaps the best 60cc saw ever, I would sell it. Get yourself the new MS261 MTronic.

You just accurately described why I don't own a 60cc work saw, and haven't for many years now. With a good 40-50cc saw and a 70-80cc saw, a 60cc saw really has no place. While the MS361 is perhaps the best 60cc saw ever, I would sell it. Get yourself the new MS261 MTronic.
Couldn't agree more.
Drop it with a 70+ cc saw and limb it with a 50.

Normally I agree, but due to his regular size wood, a 60cc is ideal.

I like a 60cc saw. Every size saw has its place. A back up saw is really only worth having if it can do the job of your primary saw. The 361 comes closer to backing up the 046. You probably wouldnt put a 25" bar on a 261. I like the 50cc and 70cc combo but a modded 60cc would pull a 25" bar . If your decision is based on operator comfort a 50cc is a great general purpose saw. Go with a three saw plan if you can swing it

I'm in similar position. I have a seven year old MS361 which was my first "big" saw. I've since bought a MS461 and MS261C-M. Wondering whether I really need to keep the 361. But it's a good back up to the 461.

Summary position - if I was limited to one saw the 361 would do me OK, even though it's arguably redundant. That said, every time I go to sell a saw, something stops me...

So I guess my conclusion is I need to get a 261 and give it a shot. Now should I try to find a deal on a variant 2, and what is a good deal for those? Or just pick up the nice variant 1 locally for $340?

My MOFO ported 026 is hands down my favorite limbing saw, I call it my Lightning Limber!

That said, if I have to go into a hard to get to place and am only bringing one saw for everything, it will be either a 60 or 70 cc saw, and I have 2 of each. (MOFO 360, MMWS 362, 044, MS440 (later 2 not ported, but modded by me).

All of my saws get used on a regular basis. I try to assess the job at hand, and pick the best tools for it. And I do like backup. If I rock a chain, etc, I'll just pick up the next saw and keep going. Don't like to wast time on the job.

My MOFO ported 026 is hands down my favorite limbing saw, I call it my Lightning Limber!

That said, if I have to go into a hard to get to place and am only bringing one saw for everything, it will be either a 60 or 70 cc saw, and I have 2 of each. (MOFO 360, MMWS 362, 044, MS440 (later 2 not ported, but modded by me).

All of my saws get used on a regular basis. I try to assess the job at hand, and pick the best tools for it. And I do like backup. If I rock a chain, etc, I'll just pick up the next saw and keep going. Don't like to wast time on the job.

"Like"

I like a 60cc saw. Every size saw has its place. A back up saw is really only worth having if it can do the job of your primary saw. The 361 comes closer to backing up the 046. You probably wouldnt put a 25" bar on a 261. I like the 50cc and 70cc combo but a modded 60cc would pull a 25" bar . If your decision is based on operator comfort a 50cc is a great general purpose saw. Go with a three saw plan if you can swing it

My 361 pulls 28" with skip no problem.

It hung from me for about 5 hours on a big crane removal 2 weeks ago.

My favorite stihl saw.

I must have irregular sized patience, as I generally find the 361 to be too slow for me in the smaller 12-18" stuff too :D
A muffler mod is a must on the 361 IMHO, they are choked up from the factory, that's why they sound like a vacuum cleaner.

Running longer bars on the 361 can cause issues in the long run with the AV, and I seen a few that stretched enough to cause the intake boot to pull away from the carb.

Generally I feel the older Stihl saws are overrated, and the new ones are underrated. Stihl guys don't seem to like change much.[emoji13]

A muffler mod is a must on the 361 IMHO, they are choked up from the factory, that's why they sound like a vacuum cleaner.

Running longer bars on the 361 can cause issues in the long run with the AV, and I seen a few that stretched enough to cause the intake boot to pull away from the carb.

Generally I feel the older Stihl saws are overrated, and the new ones are underrated. Stihl guys don't seem to like change much.[emoji13]

A 361 is the only older stihl saw i like.

Id take a newer model in every class..except 60cc , but i still like the new 362c.

I thought everyone needed at least 5 models of every CC?

I better stop buying.

Back