buy new saw or old?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osteoart

candidate for CAD
Reaction score
I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Echo 490 then a friend tells me he will sell me his Stihl 028 for $100 less than the new Echo. I want advise as to which one, not both to buy? I do have both Echo and Stihl dealers locally, although I have done my own maintenance and repairs on my 025. I will be using this saw to drop and buck good size shagbark hickories, locust and oak. Tell me please which saw.

What's good size? Hopefully a little 490 or 028 will be big enough for you. I agree on get the new saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I dig the 028's myself, have a few of them. That said, I don't think your friend is doing you any favor by selling 100 less than the echo.

My thought exactly, for decent size Shag Hickory I would definitely want a 70 cc saw. Used I would look at 044/440 & 372s, or new, a 461 or 7910 are real nice saws, but a little heavier.

Hickory is very tough wood, and will slow your chain down. For dropping & bucking "good sized" Shag Bark hickory you want some size in your saw, or you will be there for a while.

What's a good size hickory? 15/20in 20/36in? I've seen a many 15/20in hickory cut with the old28.

What's a good size hickory? 15/20in 20/36in? I've seen a many 15/20in hickory cut with the old28.
Mostly between22" to 30" diameter. Some of the chestnut oak larger than that. The only reason I'm considering the 028 is it is in very good shape for an old saw. Parts getting hard to find?
Agreed, if good size is over 10 inch then step up to the CS 590. No replacement for displacement.

Joe
I thought the 490with MM and tuning could handle the job? It's their smallest "pro" saw. I wouldn't mind the extra $ for the 590 if it would not be too heavy for me, old man that I am. I want a good power vs weight ratio. So the cs590 or other candidates???
Will the Echo saws be easy to work on like the Stihls?

Back