Buying a load of logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey fellas I found a guy on Craigslist advertising a 42 yard dumpster of log length wood for sale, he claims that the load is 8-10 cords I'm thinking it's more like 6-7 not 10. What do you guys think? It's $500 delivered and I'd probably split it between me, my brother in law, and my uncle.

I'm wondering how much will actually be in the load, it would need to be PACKED with logs to hit that 9-10 cord range.

It would have to be packed and heaped to hit 9-10 cords considering the box itself is a shade under 9 cords.

What kind of wood, is it manageable size or huge stumps and trunks, and is it all solid wood or does punky stuff come along too?

He's a huge tree service around my area, his truck is a dumpster truck with boom. I just asked what species makes up the majority of the loads and I'll see what he says.

Logs are between 6ft and 16ft and range in diameter from 8"-24"

Huge variation in quantity.

Wood delivered in a container like that, the straightness of the logs makes all the difference in the world. Bent and twisted vs. straight as an arrow can cause a drop in actual C&S yield of 30 percent or more. This is one of the main reasons I dropped a tertiary supplier a few years back. The wood he brought to my landing was decent hardwood, but the logs were so twisted I was lucky to get 6 cord out of a load with a supposed guaranted 7 cord minimum. Current primary supplier brings what he calls processor grade. I pay a bit more per grapple load, but get straight sticks 20 ft. random, that seldom require more one pass through the 4-way.

Wood delivered from tree companies also tends to be of random assorted length, wherever it was most prudent to cut for fast and safe take down / removal. This is perfectly normal and to be expected for their operation. As long as they're upfront about it, they're not ripping you off. This type of wood tends create a lot of waste as short chunks tend to accumulate in a hurry if you're cutting to specific length.

In short, if the seller is going to guarantee a minimum yield per load, then it may be worth pursuing. I would ask two questions, if the guaranteed minimum yield is not met, how will he make it right, and second, ask for a few references of people he recently delivered to. No answer provided to either or both, proceed with caution.

I am in no way saying the guy is not legitimate, but there is nothing wrong with asking questions so both parties know what is expected.

Please follow up and let us know how you decide. Hopefully all works out well.

Take Care

I sell wood and when I was having a hard time acquiring wood/logs I used a guy who sold wood just like that except he used a 30 yard dumpster. He claimed it averaged between 5-6 cords and he was right in the ballpark. His loads were mounded but he was a place where tree guys dumped off wood and then he just loaded and delivered whatever was there. Some loads were more and some were less depending on length and shape of logs. This was 3-5 years ago but he was only charging $200 so even though there was all sizes and species in there, it was worth it. He's now getting $450 a load but I thankfully have found a tree guy who keeps me plenty happy.

A 42 cubic yard volume would end up at 6.75 cords in a perfect world with all of the box solid wood (42 cubic yards X 27 cubic feet per yard then divided by 168 cubic feet in a cord). Obviously it will be far short of that with random lengths, not perfectly straight, etc.

I'm betting you'd be lucky to get 4 maybe 5 cords.

A 42 cubic yard volume would end up at 6.75 cords in a perfect world with all of the box solid wood (42 cubic yards X 27 cubic feet per yard then divided by 168 cubic feet in a cord). Obviously it will be far short of that with random lengths, not perfectly straight, etc.

I'm betting you'd be lucky to get 4 maybe 5 cords.
In a perfect world his 42 cy box would give you 8.859 cords. A cord is 128cf.

In a perfect world his 42 cy box would give you 8.859 cords. A cord is 128cf.
this^^^^^^ is the correct math...

OP, around me a logs goes for 30-45 bucks per cord. if the dumpster is packed with no cut offs or odd shaped pieces, and not heaped your looking $56.8 per cord. different areas have different prices on wood.

If a yard is 27 cubic feet then 40 yards is 1080 CF. so if 16" split wood is loaded loose, then you have 6 cords based on a loose thrown cord being 180 cubic feet.
So I don't see how one could fit 8 cords of logs in a 40 yard bin.

If a yard is 27 cubic feet then 40 yards is 1080 CF. so if 16" split wood is loaded loose, then you have 6 cords based on a loose thrown cord being 180 cubic feet.
So I don't see how one could fit 8 cords of logs in a 40 yard bin.
We are talking about two different things. In a 42cy box there are just under 9 128cf units, that would be a perfect world calculation. Loose thrown wood takes up more space per cord. The OP was told there would 8-10 cord in that load. Math says it would have to be a perfect world load to get that figure.

this^^^^^^ is the correct math...

OP, around me a logs goes for 30-45 bucks per cord. if the dumpster is packed with no cut offs or odd shaped pieces, and not heaped your looking $56.8 per cord. different areas have different prices on wood.

Ouch. Here we get about $150/cord for logs, plus delivery.

I'll jump in for laughs and giggles, plus it's lunch time (was) and it's raining out.
And let me begin by saying, a cord is not a cord.
Here are my assumptions in this case: the load is hard wood; hardwood = 5,800 lbs green; a cord of wood is 30% air, or 90 cu. ft of wood per 128 cu. ft. per cord.
Here's my math:
42 cu. yds. = 1134 cu. ft.
Consider a solid block of wood as maximum load.
1134 cu. ft. = 70% of possible cordage.
1134/70 x 100 = 1620 cu. ft./128 cu. ft. = 12.65 cord

Now you can simply estimate the percent volume of wood vs air in the box, and multiply by 12.65 cords.
8 to 10 cord load is implied. I buy 20 cord loads, so from experience I'm throwing out 10 cords, but lets do the math for 10 cord.
A cord of unsplit wood is (estimated) 90 cu. ft.
90 cu. ft. x 10 cord = 900 cu. ft. in a box of 1134 cu. ft. 900/1134 = 79% wood; and 5,800 lbs x 10 = 58,000 lbs tare weight. (this assumes the weight of green oak)
IMG_1681.jpg IMG_1691.jpg
There is more to this: I buy 20 cord loads. Cut and split = on average 15 cords. So looking at this truck, there is 10 cord on the truck, and ten cord on the pup. But cut and split, that volume translates to seven and one half cords each. A cord is not a cord.
Now compare this truck to the one pictured in post #4.
My guess is 4 1/2 cord cut, split, stacked...plus or minus. $111. per cord
Five cord of good wood is worth way more than ten cord of crap. In other words, it is more about what your getting, not how much your getting, unless your feeding an outdoor boiler.

The last load I got from a tree service the driver estimated four cord. I estimated half of that. He left smiling. Cut/split/stacked... five, 1/3 cord, racks plus a little... The next load he brought over, he left with it too.
IMG_1563.jpg

Ouch. Here we get about $150/cord for logs, plus delivery.
half hour from me, (closer to a large city) tree services have to pay to dispose of the wood cause there is so few ppl burning in that area. the tree services were paying $100 per load to dispose of the logs. until they met up with a guy with an owb. the tree service drops at his house for free and both were happy. then the owb owner found out the tree service is saving $100 per load dumping at his house. so he asked the tree service to have his guys cut the pieces into manageable pieces. thats getting greedy IMHO. to my surprise the tree service agreed to put 2 guys and a machine on the guys property for a day cutting and moving the wood. I was floored. the tree service dumped more at the guys house in one summer than he can burn in 2 years. like I said, things are different in different areas.

I'll jump in for laughs and giggles, plus it's lunch time (was) and it's raining out.
And let me begin by saying, a cord is not a cord.
Here are my assumptions in this case: the load is hard wood; hardwood = 5,800 lbs green; a cord of wood is 30% air, or 90 cu. ft of wood per 128 cu. ft. per cord.
Here's my math:
42 cu. yds. = 1134 cu. ft.
Consider a solid block of wood as maximum load.
1134 cu. ft. = 70% of possible cordage.
1134/70 x 100 = 1620 cu. ft./128 cu. ft. = 12.65 cord

Now you can simply estimate the percent volume of wood vs air in the box, and multiply by 12.65 cords.
8 to 10 cord load is implied. I buy 20 cord loads, so from experience I'm throwing out 10 cords, but lets do the math for 10 cord.
A cord of unsplit wood is (estimated) 90 cu. ft.
90 cu. ft. x 10 cord = 900 cu. ft. in a box of 1134 cu. ft. 900/1134 = 79% wood; and 5,800 lbs x 10 = 58,000 lbs tare weight. (this assumes the weight of green oak)
View attachment 502567 View attachment 502568
There is more to this: I buy 20 cord loads. Cut and split = on average 15 cords. So looking at this truck, there is 10 cord on the truck, and ten cord on the pup. But cut and split, that volume translates to seven and one half cords each. A cord is not a cord.
Now compare this truck to the one pictured in post #4.
My guess is 4 1/2 cord cut, split, stacked...plus or minus. $111. per cord
Five cord of good wood is worth way more than ten cord of crap. In other words, it is more about what your getting, not how much your getting, unless your feeding an outdoor boiler.

The last load I got from a tree service the driver estimated four cord. I estimated half of that. He left smiling. Cut/split/stacked... five, 1/3 cord, racks plus a little... The next load he brought over, he left with it too.
View attachment 502580
your numbers are going the wrong way, wood fluffs up when its c/s/s. you have about 5-20% gain on wood after c/s/s. so 10 cords of logs will be roughly 11-12 cords of c/s/s wood. do a search it has been discussed many times.

:) I went to the link and skimmed through it.
You are right, wood fluffs. 90 cu. ft. of wood = 128 cu. ft of cut/split/stacked wood (approx.) 30% fluff!
Ah yes, Curlycherry. I agree with him, and your statement, that one cord of rounds will split/stack to more than one cord of splits. Although I've not tried it yet.
We're not talking about a 'truckload of rounds' though.
Were talking a 'truckload of logs', and there is the difference.
When it stops raining, sometime this week, I will do an experiment similar to Curlycherry's, with an added step.
First we already agree that 1/3 cord of rounds split and stacked will equal a larger volume of split wood.
IMG_2626.jpg
If you have not seen Curly's experiment it looked similar to this, only on his work bench in miniature. It must have been raining that day too.
First: I will split one cord of rounds (three, 1/3 cord racks) and see what we get stacked.
Second: Using two racks for measurement, I'll try to load them with two cord of 8' long logs (8' long, 8' wide, 4' high), and then cut the logs in rounds, stacking them in six 1/3 cord racks to see if there is more, or less than, two cords of rounds.
I've actually been thinking of doing this for a while...
I suppose I should do it in proper order, stack two cord of logs, cut and stack as rounds, split and re-stack, all using the same logs.
Okay, that shouldn't take long...
and Ellionna has volunteered to over see the experiment
.IMG_1570.jpg
Opps! Wrong picture...
IMG_2613 (1).jpg
There's my girl.
If anyone wishes to protest the 'volunteer judge', now is the time to do so.

your numbers are going the wrong way, wood fluffs up when its c/s/s. you have about 5-20% gain on wood after c/s/s. so 10 cords of logs will be roughly 11-12 cords of c/s/s wood. do a search it has been discussed many times.
Larger the diameter of the rounds the more "fluff" I guarantee. A cord of 8" across rounds will "fluff" a little. A cord of 30" across will "fluff" much more.

Latest posts

Back