Buying used. 372 XP or Stihl equivalent?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheap/used/ rebuild it

Thanks, all!

Re the 7900. I have eyeballed that saw here in the past. Looks like a winner. However, as far as I know, there's virtually no Dolmar representation around here and that makes me nervous, particularly when buying an unknown used saw.

Re the 372 vs 440. I'll go with the best used deal I can find. Honestly though, it scares me when I read comments about someone selling a worn out saw. Hope to get lucky enough to purchase from a person of integrity.

I welcome additional thoughts.

Thanks, again!

--what you are thinking. Look for the cheapest deal in either saw you can find. Buy it. Now clean it, tear it down all the way, clean it again, and rebuild it, top to bottom.

You now have as "new" as it gets for half price.

I take that was aimed at me. Well, I listed that saw on ebay figuring to get at the most $200. I listed the saw as having 100lbs of compression and noted the clutch was needing replacement and that it had low power due to the low compression.I took six pictures of the saw, including one with the muffler off showing the clean piston with no major scratches. I made no effort to hide anything, but two bidders got in a war over the thing, and the buyer got exactly what was promised in the auction. I seriously doubt anyone would have turned down the final price on the auction just because two guys got in a war over the thing.

Not specifically you....but your comment did jog my memory of some horror stories I have heard that has made me gun shy buying a used saw. I do understand what you're saying though with people getting crazy trying to out bid one another. No hard feelings, I hope.

--what you are thinking. Look for the cheapest deal in either saw you can find. Buy it. Now clean it, tear it down all the way, clean it again, and rebuild it, top to bottom.

You now have as "new" as it gets for half price.

That thought had crossed my mind. Not sure I want to take on that kind of project these days though. If only there were 100 hours in a day rather than 24.....

If I were in you shoes...I'd go to my local Husky and Stihl dealers
and ask about trade-ins...they have taken in and have in stock..

They won't take in junk for a trade-in!! They've checked it out!!

Only way I'd buy a used chainsaw would be thru a good dealer!!!
(but that's just me...!!)
:cheers:
J2F

I agree with spike, no need for a pissing contest, they both have earned there stripes more than once. Just 2 fat good point man. We just got a saweet 046mag at my saw shop 500 out the door, and they went through everything. It came from a guy from Idaho. Dont know if trade in or what, but my shop put there stamp on it, and it's a great saw. Half the cost of a new one here.

worn out saw

Thanks, all!

Re the 7900. I have eyeballed that saw here in the past. Looks like a winner. However, as far as I know, there's virtually no Dolmar representation around here and that makes me nervous, particularly when buying an unknown used saw.

Re the 372 vs 440. I'll go with the best used deal I can find. Honestly though, it scares me when I read comments about someone selling a worn out saw. Hope to get lucky enough to purchase from a person of integrity.

I welcome additional thoughts.

Thanks, again!
The thing about buying a"worn out" saw is everything doesn't wear out at the same time,what I mean by this is how many guys here on this site use 20 yr old saws everyday? I know I have at least 3 non pro Stihls that I bought new that are that old. The two products you are considering are probably the best representatives of the worlds two finest OPE companies. imho. Buying one of these used is not as big a risk as buying a craftsman or wild thing.(Just examples guys). The classifieds on this site should be good for seller rep.The point I was trying to make was repairs are not nearly as hard with all the support on here,heck even I do them. good luck either way you decide to go:yoyo:

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. I like the idea of buying from a dealer. I had the assumption they'd jack the price way up but maybe not. I'll do some shopping around in my free time. I'm not in a big hurry so maybe I'll run across a good deal.

Back