calibrate tach?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old CB

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Since the gauges were shot on my ’97 Woodchuck 12” chipper, I bought a new Murphy control panel and wiring harness. It was advertised as “plug and play,” but yesterday when I picked it up from the mechanic he said I’d need to calibrate the tach, something that left him scratching his head.

It’s a Deutz 4 cyl. diesel (80 hp?) 1011F engine.

The instructions say that I need to know whether the tach is alternator driven or magnetic sensor driven so I can set the dip switches. I don’t have a clue where to go with that. For what it’s worth, there are two wires coming out of the back of the alternator, besides the heavy red hot lead.

Can anyone help me on this?

CB

You can use the tiny tach diesel version as an alternative, works flawless for me and counts the hours too. It has to be attached to the injector lines. Not sure if it gives you any savings.

Thanks, Marne. I actually sussed it out yesterday. It wasn't easy. I called Engine Distributors, the shop that produced the engine and drive train. They said the tach gets its info from the alternator. So I determined which alternator I had, made all the calculations, and set the dip switches, and the thing works the way it should.

Back