Can a bucket do this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone check out the RC log loaders videos that came up after that vid played? Adult toys for sure.

Why do you think it's a backhoe? Do you see a backhoe? That there is a 570 XLT Case loader with counter weight. It will lift 3 tonnes and is also 4X4.

Just 'cause there ain't a hoe on it doesn't mean it's good for tree work. Yeah, I didn't notice that your loader wasn't equipped with one but that's beside the point. My point is that your operation isn't very professional looking in a tree specific manner. You look much more outfitted for excavation or something along those lines. And my bet is that is another service you offer. When I see those rigs my mind does not automatically think "Tree Service", nor would the mind of potential customer. Run your gig how you want man, but dropping massive trees across roads, and picking them up with "loader" doesn't scream Tree Service to me. It screams, "Trees? Yeah, we do trees too."

Just 'cause there ain't a hoe on it doesn't mean it's good for tree work. Yeah, I didn't notice that your loader wasn't equipped with one but that's beside the point. My point is that your operation isn't very professional looking in a tree specific manner. You look much more outfitted for excavation or something along those lines. And my bet is that is another service you offer. When I see those rigs my mind does not automatically think "Tree Service", nor would the mind of potential customer. Run your gig how you want man, but dropping massive trees across roads, and picking them up with "loader" doesn't scream Tree Service to me. It screams, "Trees? Yeah, we do trees too."

If I was in the excavation business I would have a excavator not a loader. What's more professional taking all day chucking down a tree with a bucket and shooting dust and chips all over the neighbourhood or getting ten trees with stumps done in a day? Exactly!

If I was in the excavation business I would have a excavator not a loader. What's more professional taking all day chucking down a tree with a bucket and shooting dust and chips all over the neighbourhood or getting ten trees with stumps done in a day? Exactly!

Like I said before, man, if you can pull all your trees over with that unit, cheers, boss, but that ain't the way it is here. Usually we have obstacles to work around which is why we're a tree service. We cater to people who have trees too difficult to be done in one cut regardless of the amount of power tugging the end of that rope. That's why I focus on buying equipment which will aid me in being a tree service. Things like a bucket truck, ya know. Yes, some trees can be torqued over with a lot of risk and a lot of power ( or with little risk and no rope ) but to gear your business towards those trees is...well...not a tree service. You talk a good game at being competent enough to bring down any tree and I have no reason to doubt you but your logic just doesn't jive with mine. A bucket is essential to a high obstacle, high end tree service. As is a climber. A loader like yours is...well...nice on some trees but not essential to a tree service that specializes in doing things any redneck with a powerful machine and a chainsaw can't do. That's what makes a tree service.

i work for a municipality and we use a loader all the time. its exatly the same except for some hoe on the back.
im almost certain others would use the equipment if they owned it.

I have a big Black Walnut to pull over with my skidsteer tommorow. The grapple bucket is on and ready to clear the street as soon as it lands. It's gonna be a dandy when it hits the road, I think I'll video it.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with your title Rick. A grapple bucket can do that without having to go under it, stabilize the load while in transport, and control the dump, and clean the street, so yeah it (grapple bucket) can do it better. Tell you the truth though, I don't give a ratz azz, buy what you want and use what you got. It aint about nit picking equipment, it's about getting the job done and getting paid.:cheers: I'll climb with you anytime.

Last edited:
Thanks Nailbeats! As for being redneck and pulling over everything in one shot is completely false Blakemaster! Around here Bucket trucks are for trimming street trees. Also what happens when the tree is 100ft tall or at the back of a garage in the backyard? Ya maybe front in but that's it can't use the chipper because it's 60 yards away at the back of the truck. And I will post some video real soon on how I climb and a bucket would just get in my way. Besides we got Hydo, cable and telephone up here too EH!

Last edited:
Thanks Nailbeats! As for being redneck and pulling over everything in one shot is completely false Blakemaster! Around here Bucket trucks are for trimming street trees. Also what happens when the tree is 100ft tall or at the back of a garage in the backyard? Ya maybe front in but that's it can't use the chipper because it's 60 yards away at the back of the truck. And I will post some video real soon on how I climb and a bucket would just get in my way. Besides we got Hydo, cable and telephone up here too EH!

Man, c'mon! I'm trying to be reasonable here. And don't get me started on the bucket/chip truck combo. They're effin ridiculous for res work. Only place for them is on line clearance if you ask me. I never said you pull everything over in one shot and I never said that a good climber is not essential to a good tree service. In fact I believe I said the exact opposite. All I'm saying is that if you are gearing towards a professional, high end, high obstacle tree service a bucket is more necessary than a bad ass loader.

Like I said before, man, if you can pull all your trees over with that unit, cheers, boss, but that ain't the way it is here. Usually we have obstacles to work around which is why we're a tree service. We cater to people who have trees too difficult to be done in one cut regardless of the amount of power tugging the end of that rope. That's why I focus on buying equipment which will aid me in being a tree service. Things like a bucket truck, ya know. Yes, some trees can be torqued over with a lot of risk and a lot of power ( or with little risk and no rope ) but to gear your business towards those trees is...well...not a tree service. You talk a good game at being competent enough to bring down any tree and I have no reason to doubt you but your logic just doesn't jive with mine. A bucket is essential to a high obstacle, high end tree service. As is a climber. A loader like yours is...well...nice on some trees but not essential to a tree service that specializes in doing things any redneck with a powerful machine and a chainsaw can't do. That's what makes a tree service.

What? There's what you wrote. Read the first line. I appreciate your opinion but buckets aren't for me. Maybe when I'm 65 or so! Besides I get enough work and don't need to work over live hydro. I'll do the backyard trees over hydro cuz nobody else will do them.

Last edited:
What? There's what you wrote. Read the first line. I appreciate your opinion but buckets aren't for me. Maybe when I'm 65 or so! Besides I get enough work and don't need to work over live hydro. I'll do the backyard trees over hydro cuz nobody else will do them.

Do you not understand the word "if"? Or perhaps the words. "As is a climber."? Seriously, man, wtf?

Hey Rick, tell me what you paid for that camera again. It really takes a nice shot.

I think it was $699 US. It's the Vio POV 1.5. It's alittle bulky about the size of two Kit Kat Chunkies but real sweet. Mounted the slide clip to the top of my hardhat.

Back