Can a bucket do this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious why do you have so many trailers? and no bucket?

One was a gift but too small, the second we bought new and the third we found a sweet deal on. We use them to haul wood. And they were much cheaper than a bucket...or a "loader". And I don't need a bucket to take trees down, but that doesn't mean I don't see the overwhelming evidence that a bucket would make high obstacle removals mush easier and more efficient than climbing or using a "loader". Now that I've thoroughly answered your question I expect you to answer mine.

One was a gift but too small, the second we bought new and the third we found a sweet deal on. We use them to haul wood. And they were much cheaper than a bucket...or a "loader". And I don't need a bucket to take trees down, but that doesn't mean I don't see the overwhelming evidence that a bucket would make high obstacle removals mush easier and more efficient than climbing or using a "loader". Now that I've thoroughly answered your question I expect you to answer mine.

Man I was thinking that you were using them to haul wood. But how do you get the wood off? Maybe rolling them? Bud that is sooo REDNECK! And what's this about you saying about "A real professional tree service has bucket trucks" and you don't. As for time up in a bucket, I've got enough to know how to use them to the fullest including going in and over branches and not punching holes in the tree. Tell me if you can only get to one side of a tree with a bucket how do you trim or remove deadwood from the otherside? The real professional way is to climb it and get right inside. Anybody with money and some time can learn to operate a bucket but there are limited people who can climb 50 to 200 foot trees and remove them. Those are the true professionals. Providing the don't damage anything!!

Man I was thinking that you were using them to haul wood. But how do you get the wood off? Maybe rolling them? Bud that is sooo REDNECK! And what's this about you saying about "A real professional tree service has bucket trucks" and you don't. As for time up in a bucket, I've got enough to know how to use them to the fullest including going in and over branches and not punching holes in the tree. Tell me if you can only get to one side of a tree with a bucket how do you trim or remove deadwood from the otherside? The real professional way is to climb it and get right inside. Anybody with money and some time can learn to operate a bucket but there are limited people who can climb 50 to 200 foot trees and remove them. Those are the true professionals. Providing the don't damage anything!!

You bring up some valid points, albeit ones I already covered, they are valid nonetheless. So let me state them again because you obviously didn't catch on the first 3 or 4 times I made them perfectly clear. I am not a truly professional looking tree service. That's just what I strive to be and am investing my money in. I can get the job done, but not as efficiently as some. A bucket truck is not the end all be all of a tree service. I've already stated how much I hate bucket bunnies. A true treeman has the skills to do any tree without the aid of a bucket because as you, and I, have stated numerous times a bucket truck cannot get to every tree or even every part of ANY tree. A good climber is essential to a tree service. My ONLY point is that a bucket truck is MORE necessary than a ####### friggin backhoe/loader! I'll reiterate my point ONE MORE TIME. A tree service is a company that specializes in difficult trees in difficult locations and that includes trees that can't be hossed on ova'. If you want to specialize in trees that can be done by any yahoo with a chainsaw and a loader, then have fun with that. I, however, want to specialize in trees that need a more professional approach and I would greatly appreciate the production aid of a bucket truck as opposed to a loader. If any old hillbilly can "crank 'er on over" with an old, rusty, tractor, it's not worth my time.

Blakesmaster I got a question, How would of you loaded that wood? Cut it all up and then hit some steel then grab another saw or sharpen that one, then after about an hour of cutting rolled them on a flat trailer. Wow I would never work for or with you cuz my back would be finished.

Blakesmaster I got a question, How would of you loaded that wood? Cut it all up and then hit some steel then grab another saw or sharpen that one, then after about an hour of cutting rolled them on a flat trailer. Wow I would never work for or with you cuz my back would be finished.

That's how I would have done it with my current operation but then, I don't proclaim my operation to be the best way to go, only the best way within our budget. The question is, "What will be the next most beneficial machine?" A loader may get the job done ( assuming it has access ) but a bucket will get many more jobs done..quickly. Not all trees are monsters.

i think i will interject.

as a climber i think i would rather have a bobcat with some key attachments over a bucket if i was in business. one way or another you are working your balls off but i dont think i would want to hump or deal with the wood.

just my opinion.

but i did have the elevator up today with the boom just over the roof slinging up some white pines.......

I have a big Black Walnut to pull over with my skidsteer tommorow. The grapple bucket is on and ready to clear the street as soon as it lands. It's gonna be a dandy when it hits the road, I think I'll video it.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with your title Rick. A grapple bucket can do that without having to go under it, stabilize the load while in transport, and control the dump, and clean the street, so yeah it (grapple bucket) can do it better. Tell you the truth though, I don't give a ratz azz, buy what you want and use what you got. It aint about nit picking equipment, it's about getting the job done and getting paid.:cheers: I'll climb with you anytime.

You go get that SOB Nails.

Blakes, seriously, we will come along with an articulating loader, make short of it all... after its down. Me? I look at that log and want it gone. Not only that but saying it don't look profesional is kinda blindly put and for so many reasons. I might say one reason might be jealousy? come-on, I guess the guy was a little wreckless loading it but hell... could a bucket do that?:)

as a climber i think i would rather have a bobcat with some key attachments over a bucket if i was in business. one way or another you are working your balls off but i dont think i would want to hump or deal with the wood.

just my opinion.

but i did have the elevator up today with the boom just over the roof slinging up some white pines.......

Ain't that the truth.

If you want to specialize in trees that can be done by any yahoo with a chainsaw and a loader, then have fun with that. I, however, want to specialize in trees that need a more professional approach and I would greatly appreciate the production aid of a bucket truck as opposed to a loader. If any old hillbilly can "crank 'er on over" with an old, rusty, tractor, it's not worth my time.

Well old rusty tractor has taken down and cleaned up some of the biggest trees in the area. Where guys with bucket trucks would walk away cuz they can't handle the wood. And furthermore the YAHOO's around here roll their wood up onto a flat trailer(not a dump) and take it away. Take a look in the mirror, YAHOO!!

Well old rusty tractor has taken down and cleaned up some of the biggest trees in the area. Where guys with bucket trucks would walk away cuz they can't handle the wood. And furthermore the YAHOO's around here roll their wood up onto a flat trailer(not a dump) and take it away. Take a look in the mirror, YAHOO!!

Well, we figured as much about the tractor thoug I am a little :dizzy: about what kind of bucket we are talking about. grapple? Arial? Crap? What?
Now, also, I noticed over time Blakes goes off like this for no apparent reason and I think its cause he has been on the job way to long doing all that cuttin, he has to go back in the morning to get the saw dust out. I don't want to think about what kind of bucket he has in mind for that.
Seriously Blakes , I see you do that every once in awhile, heck man, just some log loading by a tractor of sorts buddy.

Well, we figured as much about the tractor thoug I am a little :dizzy: about what kind of bucket we are talking about. grapple? Arial? Crap? What?
Now, also, I noticed over time Blakes goes off like this for no apparent reason and I think its cause he has been on the job way to long doing all that cuttin, he has to go back in the morning to get the saw dust out. I don't want to think about what kind of bucket he has in mind for that.
Seriously Blakes , I see you do that every once in awhile, heck man, just some log loading by a tractor of sorts buddy.

We are talking about a arial bucket, I should have been alittle more specific. I don't know where this Blakes get the idea that were just dropping trees in one go but the log in the video was on the otherside of the wires and had a bell wire going to the house.

just my opinion.

I guess the way I look at it OD, is I can always rent a dingo or skidsteer pretty darn cheap when those big jobs arrive, or if I'm backlogged on work. A lift I trust, not so much. Also, I cut most of my wood up and sell it as firewood, so why not do a little cutting on the jobsite?

Blakes, seriously, we will come along with an articulating loader, make short of it all... after its down. Me? I look at that log and want it gone. Not only that but saying it don't look profesional is kinda blindly put and for so many reasons. I might say one reason might be jealousy? come-on, I guess the guy was a little wreckless loading it but hell... could a bucket do that?:)

I am absolutely jealous of his loader dano, and if one was given to me I'd trade it in on a bucket right quick.:)

I try to view things from an HO's perspective for the most part. I often get asked when I show up to do a job where my bucket truck is. People give me apprehensive looks when I tell them I climb. People tell me on estimates that I can put my bucket truck anywhere in their yard and when I tell them I don't have one they look at me like I'm some sort of lunatic and immediately ask, "Do you have insurance?" I took an OSHA class earlier this year and the instructor was talking about watching a tree service using those "hook things" to climb trees and I believe her exact words were, "They didn't even have a bucket!"

I think people have come to expect a tree service to own a bucket truck and even though we all know it's not needed, it just makes things easier, I think it becomes a necessity because the majority of customers expect it. If you don't have one they have to wonder who they're dealing with. That's why I think you look more professional with a bucket truck on site. People see a bucket, and immediately think Tree Service.

You remember those pics, ay dano? I actually want to get a dingo like you have for loading ####. That's after a bigger dump this year, and a little bucket next year.

I am absolutely jealous of his loader dano, and if one was given to me I'd trade it in on a bucket right quick.:)

I try to view things from an HO's perspective for the most part. I often get asked when I show up to do a job where my bucket truck is. People give me apprehensive looks when I tell them I climb. People tell me on estimates that I can put my bucket truck anywhere in their yard and when I tell them I don't have one they look at me like I'm some sort of lunatic and immediately ask, "Do you have insurance?" I took an OSHA class earlier this year and the instructor was talking about watching a tree service using those "hook things" to climb trees and I believe her exact words were, "They didn't even have a bucket!"

I think people have come to expect a tree service to own a bucket truck and even though we all know it's not needed, it just makes things easier, I think it becomes a necessity because the majority of customers expect it. If you don't have one they have to wonder who they're dealing with. That's why I think you look more professional with a bucket truck on site. People see a bucket, and immediately think Tree Service.

I know what you mean about the apprehensive HO's, "just don't fall", they always say. After a few minutes they're all out watching the circus. I don't have a bucket and don't want one, maybe when I can't climb anymore, but buy then I'll hopefully be dead anyhow.

I know what you mean about the apprehensive HO's, "just don't fall", they always say. After a few minutes they're all out watching the circus. I don't have a bucket and don't want one, maybe when I can't climb anymore, but buy then I'll hopefully be dead anyhow.

:clap::clap::clap: Climbing is the greatest rush and your making money at it! They may want you to take the wood=.5$ per piece! $80 per face cord, piece being the size of a steel coffee container,Maxwell House!! Good to the last FLOP!

Don't get me wrong, nails, I ####ing LOVE when those looks of apprehension and worry turn to expressions of absolute wonder and awe when they see me get down to business in the tree. Makes my #### feel 3 inches longer, ya know? I just wonder how many potential jobs I lose because people think climbing is too dangerous when I give the bid, or even possible customers that see us set up on a job without "the usual" equipment they've come to expect from tree services.

no, a bucket truck can not load that log but it wasn't designed to either, can that loader get you 60 up a tree.....

and where is this badass climbing POV video we been waiting on?????

Last edited:
Back