ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Can a piston be fixed

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by parrisw, Oct 29, 2007.

1. PES+

PES+ Addicted to ArboristSite

I don't care one way or the other personally

The Site owner makes the decisions on what is allowed as far as posting about non sponsors.

I would only hope that people who come here would try to choose a sponsor first to help support the site for all.

There can be rats and sponsorship rivalries but I personally offer my own time and advice along with anything I sell and stand behind what I sell 100%

I don't think it is as bad as Scott made it out to be......he caught heat for a different circumstance.

2. stevethekiwi

stevethekiwi Addicted to ArboristSite

Thanks

Good to know that as a non-sponsor there is still freedom of speech... :givebeer:

Cheers

Steve

3. ScottWojo

ScottWojo AboristSite Guru

Not trying to stir anything up. I have sources that very well may be sponsors of the site, But I have no way to know this. As there are several lower level sponsors that are not on any list that I know of.

Reguardless, I was checking my dealer source for aftermarket pistons and cylinders and was going to offer to buy and ship with no profit to this member, but he has nothing for such an older saw.

And any heat that I caught was well earned and deserved. Everyone makes mistakes when doing things for the first time. I am only in my second month of sponsorship, and I have made several.

So as far as that saw is concerned, I would be trying to source a used piston. If it were a stihl, I probably would have something.

4. bcorradi

bcorradi Arboristsite.com Sponsor

I guess dependant on how much of a hurry your in. If PES+ does not have anything I'd just sit back and wait for one to show up on ebay. I'd have to imagine that you could pick a complete part saw up cheap if your patient enough.

5. parrisw

parrisw Tree Freak

Ya I wouldn't of bought it had I have known that the piston was toast. I thought it just needed a carb rebuild, and the starter recoil fixed.

Thanks

Will

ScottWojo likes this.
  6. PES+

Dang it

I was afraid of that......I only have the Poulan made Husky top handle pistons and they do not work in the EMAB 35.

I will sell you a whole saw in Skil trim with a guaranteed good piston and cylinder for 20 bucks.

I will NOT take apart an EMAB for no money and I don't even work on them much

7. parrisw

parrisw Tree Freak

I guess mine is the EMAB 35 what does that stand for?

Will the piston and cylinder in the Skil saw work in my saw? If so what will shipping be to me in Victoria BC, Canada, V8X 4K6

Thanks

Will

8. PES+

I will be out of town for a week

I will get back with you when I return.

EMAB was a Canadian chainsaw manufacturer that made gazillions of those 34CC top handle saws sold under numerous brands. Frontier, Skil, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Partner ETC

The pistons and cylinders as a pair are all interchangeable with few exceptions.

9. parrisw

parrisw Tree Freak

Ok, thanks a bunch.

Will

10. partsman51

partsman51 ArboristSite Member

Just put it on the ferry and ship it to me in Poco, I will give it a good home and you can find a better saw.:)

Or give it to my relatives in Comox or Campbell river and they will get it to me.:)

Anyway, hope you can find something.

11. parrisw

parrisw Tree Freak

pic of cylinder I need.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  12. blsnelling

blsnelling Site Sponsor

The piston in my Dad's 011AVT looked a LOT worse than that. It was either polish and use that piston, or throw the saw away. He didn't want to invest anything in it. We sanded and polishedthe piston up, cleaned up the cylinder, and put it back together with the same rings. He swears it runs better than ever. That's probably because we removed the plugged up exhaust screen that cause the problem to begin with. If you can't get the ring out without reaking it, you'll obviously have to replace the ring. If the cylinder is at least respectable, I can almost guarantee you that it would run for a LONG time with just being cleaned up. Make sure the ring groove is opened back up though, allowing the ring to float freely.

13. parrisw

parrisw Tree Freak

Thanks for the tip, I will definatly give that a try if I cant get a good used part.

Will

14. blsnelling

blsnelling Site Sponsor

Just try it. You have nothing to loose.

15. parrisw

parrisw Tree Freak

Agreed, but I already have a used one lined up.

Thanks

Will