Can anyone ID this splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pajeepman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone ID this splitter. Found itvon Craigslist, not interested in buying it but...... I bought one just like utvwitha different engine on it Sunday. I was told it was homemade. I am guessing not unless the guy made several. The main beam is the hydro tank.

Any thoughts? Thanks?
3eeb11fef4c3a5a2f91129fc0c9a40e8.jpg
0ccbe6ff7e73fef5ff851e17ddb8d06a.jpg

My neighbor has one similar to that design but in Orange. His is a timber king I believe. And yeah, it's super low lol

These are pictures of the one I bought a few weeks ago. 12v starter on the engine. Haven't messed with it since I brought it home.
6c6b8d8a77610203a848926735636f3a.jpg
232ced60c0ff6092a995338109ec4d0f.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Found another one of these splitter at a house having a yard sale (it was not for sale). Guy had it given to hin 20 years ago, he did not know the brand but said it worked well.

Found another one of these splitter at a house having a yard sale (it was not for sale). Guy had it given to hin 20 years ago, he did not know the brand but said it worked well.

I know for a fact it is a La Fonte wood splitter.

I have split wood with mine for the last 4 years selling firewood. Mine works great.

Cool. Any clue what engine size they originally came with and tonnage rating?

I just picked up a newer mtd 25 ton horizontal/vertical splitter so this one is going up for sale. I will post it on the forum soon, fwiw I am near Philadelphia, Pa.

Your log splitter is a Mighty Mac LS-248. It takes a 25" log and 14 ton splitting force. Made by Mackissic in the 1980's. They made a larger model #LS-2910 that split 30" logs. I've been using the identical splitter for years and it seems bullet proof. I have mine set up on car ramps and built a table to minimize bending over. The engine is off a snow blower with a 110 volt starter.IMG_1041.JPG IMG_1054.JPG IMG_1063.JPG

Attachments

• Owners Manual - LS-248 - Sept 1982.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
Coincidently, Mackissic is only 10 minutes from where I work. I can't look at the manual you attached for some reason.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

The people at Mackissic were really helpful. They emailed the attached manual the same day I called. I think it's for a newer version than what we have. The pump shown in the manual mounts directly to the engine with a pump bracket like modern splitters and the newer model has a filter. It's mostly assembly instructions. Attached are the pages I found most helpful. When I click on the manual thumbnail it launches in a program "Foxit Reader" no problem. I've been looking for another one of these splitters. I like that the wheels, hydraulic lines and engine are away from the working area and there's no tank taking up space. There's a couple modifications I want to do but don't want to take my current splitter out of service. If you want the whole manual let me know, we'll figure it out.

Attachments

• Mighty Mac LS-248 Hydraulic Schematic.JPG
    Mighty Mac LS-248 Hydraulic Schematic.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Mighty Mac LS-248 Hydraulic Fluid Replacement.JPG
    Mighty Mac LS-248 Hydraulic Fluid Replacement.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Mighty Mac LS-248 Parts List.JPG
    Mighty Mac LS-248 Parts List.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Mighty Mac LS-248 Hydraulic Schematic.JPG
    Mighty Mac LS-248 Hydraulic Schematic.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 12
Can anyone ID this splitter. Found itvon Craigslist, not interested in buying it but...... I bought one just like utvwitha different engine on it Sunday. I was told it was homemade. I am guessing not unless the guy made several. The main beam is the hydro tank.

Any

The people at Mackissic were really helpful. They emailed the attached manual the same day I called. I think it's for a newer version than what we have. The pump shown in the manual mounts directly to the engine with a pump bracket like modern splitters and the newer model has a filter. It's mostly assembly instructions. Attached are the pages I found most helpful. When I click on the manual thumbnail it launches in a program "Foxit Reader" no problem. I've been looking for another one of these splitters. I like that the wheels, hydraulic lines and engine are away from the working area and there's no tank taking up space. There's a couple modifications I want to do but don't want to take my current splitter out of service. If you want the whole manual let me know, we'll figure it out.
Chevy Mike, does the manual list a rebuild kit for the hydraulic cylinder?

I’m having a hard time identifying the make of the hydraulic cylinder... I cannot figure out how to take it apart.
I haven’t found a specific rebuild kit for it, but there are several seal kits for various rod size & bore size diameter.
my rid size is 2” but I’m not totally sure on the bore size because I cannot take it off. Does anyone know the cylinder manufacturer?
Hps 14170 10 03 B1 is imprinted on it

The bore size should be about 1/2 inch smaller than the outside diameter of the cylinder. What brand splitter is the cylinder on?

This splitter appears to have 'plumbing' 90° and nipples in several places, and not high pressure hydraulic fittings.
They appear to be on the low pressure return side but hard to tell.
Very well designed wedge.

These are pictures of the one I bought a few weeks ago. 12v starter on the engine. Haven't messed with it since I brought it home.
6c6b8d8a77610203a848926735636f3a.jpg
232ced60c0ff6092a995338109ec4d0f.jpg

Latest posts

Back