Can I save this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputterbug10

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
leaf picture.jpg bottom of tree 2.jpg sharp growths on tree.jpg tree trunk bad side.jpg dead limb.jpg When I moved into this house, I noticed this tree in the front yard looked like it was slowly dying. There were a lot of places where the homeowner (or someone) had cut off limbs and there is one still there that is dead. I have no idea about trees but I want to save this one. When I looked at the ground I noticed that a previous owner put landscape fabric around the tree and it looks as if it is stuck in the tree in some places. I've enclosed pictures. If anyone can tell me what is going wrong with this tree and if it can be saved, I would really appreciate it. I don't want to lose it. I'm attaching pic of leaf because I don't know what kind of tree it is, pic of trunk near ground, pics that may help you.

How do I get seeds from it. Also there are branches with leaves albeit few. I should have had the owner consult an arborist before I closed on the house. I think he just went outside and started hacking after tree from good side.jpg I asked about the health of the tree.

Screenshot_2017-06-06-16-31-28.png the seeds will fall everywhere. Remember the helicopters as a child? Those are the seeds.

The tree has plenty of vegetation on it. It looks like it will break off at the base of the tree soon. Maybe with strong winds. Its hard to tell on the internet exactly what is going on witg the tree.

I am sure some arborists will be gettin off work soon to chime in and have a more scientific answer for you.

It will not be structurally sound cut it grind it out and plant another. I think it was planted poorly from the start when you plant its replacement don't plant it too deep and don't amend the soil in the planting area. The flare should be slightly above grade and the hole should be feathered out from the main hole.

Yeah....that was a planting problem. The landscape fabric didn't help, but the girdling roots were started when it was planted poorly.

When you get it replaced, ask the contractor if they check for root flare depth and if they remove at least the top half of the basket. If not, find somebody else...and make sure they do so.

Thank you all for responding. I was hoping for better news but it is what it is. those helicopter things drive me nuts. I'm constantly pulling them. That being said, I'm thinking maybe I should just plant some of those helicopters. Would I get more than one tree or would they merge into one tree if I planted 5 helicopters all together in one spot. If I buy a new maple tree it wouldn't be a very big one as I can't really afford it.

Any thoughts on how long before it stops giving me any green leaves? Maybe I should cut it down already.

Thank you all for responding. I was hoping for better news but it is what it is. those helicopter things drive me nuts. I'm constantly pulling them. That being said, I'm thinking maybe I should just plant some of those helicopters. Would I get more than one tree or would they merge into one tree if I planted 5 helicopters all together in one spot. If I buy a new maple tree it wouldn't be a very big one as I can't really afford it.

Any thoughts on how long before it stops giving me any green leaves? Maybe I should cut it down already.
Cut it low leave stump in early spring use the sprouts to graft you another tree!

Here's where my ignorance is going to be obvious. If the tree is dead and I cut it down low to just a stump, how would I get any sprouts?...if it's dead

The trees not dead but it is dying. A decidous tree "leaves fall anually" will often grow sprouts after it is felled around the stump because of regeneration. Seeds on the stump or even the stumps of branches will regrow. Let them sprout and then keep the most healthy one and let it grow.

The trees not dead but it is dying. A decidous tree "leaves fall anually" will often grow sprouts after it is felled around the stump because of regeneration. Seeds on the stump or even the stumps of branches will regrow. Let them sprout and then keep the most healthy one and let it grow.
Yes and clippings can be propagated too.

"The trees not dead but it is dying. A decidous tree "leaves fall anually" will often grow sprouts after it is felled around the stump because of regeneration. Seeds on the stump or even the stumps of branches will regrow. Let them sprout and then keep the most healthy one and let it grow."

So the tree was planted poorly Scenario: I cut it down low. A sprout on the stump starts growing and I let it. When it gets to an decent size, I assume I would move it because if it is "on" the stump of a dying tree, it's not going to live, right?.

Here's where my ignorance is going to be obvious. If the tree is dead and I cut it down low to just a stump, how would I get any sprouts?...if it's dead
Not getting anything by you. That's a good point. That's good that you called their bluff.

Frog is dead centre of five concentric circles. Each annulus is 12". At 6" per leap how many leaps will it take this Frog to reach the outer circle?
Dead Frogs don't jump of course and welcome to the site.

Not getting anything by you. That's a good point. That's good that you called their bluff.

Frog is dead centre of five concentric circles. Each annulus is 12". At 6" per leap how many leaps will it take this Frog to reach the outer circle?
Dead Frogs don't jump of course and welcome to the site.
Half dead frogs jump and its fairly obvious this tree is not yet dead and I am 85% sure sprouts will form "just sayin"

"The trees not dead but it is dying. A decidous tree "leaves fall anually" will often grow sprouts after it is felled around the stump because of regeneration. Seeds on the stump or even the stumps of branches will regrow. Let them sprout and then keep the most healthy one and let it grow."

So the tree was planted poorly Scenario: I cut it down low. A sprout on the stump starts growing and I let it. When it gets to an decent size, I assume I would move it because if it is "on" the stump of a dying tree, it's not going to live, right?.
It can live and become its own entity. It is not the best way but since you say you lack funds to grind and plant another it is an option. The Options will be to eliminate the lesser sprouts until the one chosen takes over in that option no you wont remove it you will let it grow. The other option is in early spring as the sprouts first put on cut them dip in rooting solution Pour potting soil into a growing pot with adequate drainage and space to create a solid growing environment. Use a pot measuring at least 8 inches in diameter to allow the seedling room to grow before transplanting. Or use seed ! You should remove the fabric no matter which way you go!

How do I get seeds from it. Also there are branches with leaves albeit few. I should have had the owner consult an arborist before I closed on the house. I think he just went outside and started hacking after View attachment 583628 I asked about the health of the tree.
What a sad looking tree! A perfect example of How Not To Plant A Tree. Poor thing strangled to death. Painful to look at! :(

Latest posts

Back