Can the Brown Recluse spider be found in MN?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MishMouse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking of information on some of the spiders that people ran into while working with wood and trying to find out which one bit my wife.

My wife awoke on Thursday and noticed a nasty bite on the back of her leg.
Must of happened Wednesday evening or sometime during the night. By Saturday she had a fever of around 102 and Sunday it went over 103. Her skin hurts when it is touched and her joints are giving her pain.

We went to see a doctor and since he had no knowledge of spider bites he said just put warm compresses on it and continue to take over the counter meds to lower the fever. Also since we didn't know exactly when it happened we don't have the spider that bit her.

Tonight I will post a picture of the bite.

Oh man I feel for her thats a bad bite if it was a recluse! I have been bitten by one on the chest while sleeping not fun it was pretty red and sore the next morning the bite itself looked like 2 little volcanos.

I found the spiders body smashed in my sheets so I knew exactly what bit me my house had millions of them..

I am no expert on spiders range but believe they can be found everywhere.

It will look like a multi-colored bullseye from black to green to yellow to red and she will be sick for a couple weeks least I was and my whole side of my body ached like hell, she probably needs some steroids and a steroid creme but I cant speak for your doctors mine were worthless totaly inept.

I even took the body into my doctor when I went in and they told me it wasnt a recluse and didnt even give me anything I had to suffer it out.

So I took them a few big LIVE ones in a jar a few days later to educate them that was funny!

My secretary at the time had some of the steroid creme and it helped where the necrosis was I dont have much of a scar now.

Good luck hope she gets real help!

Kansas

I have been bitten by a brown recluse..I took Benadryl pills and cream...

The bad part was the sores came back at the same time each year for a few years..

We have had trouble with Black Widows this year. I killed one at the wood pile yesterday...Some how they and the scorpions keep getting in the house..

i would have "accidentally" dropped that jar right in the office.

Oh man I feel for her thats a bad bite if it was a recluse! I have been bitten by one on the chest while sleeping not fun it was pretty red and sore the next morning the bite itself looked like 2 little volcanos.

I found the spiders body smashed in my sheets so I knew exactly what bit me my house had millions of them..

I am no expert on spiders range but believe they can be found everywhere.

It will look like a multi-colored bullseye from black to green to yellow to red and she will be sick for a couple weeks least I was and my whole side of my body ached like hell, she probably needs some steroids and a steroid creme but I cant speak for your doctors mine were worthless totaly inept.

I even took the body into my doctor when I went in and they told me it wasnt a recluse and didnt even give me anything I had to suffer it out.

So I took them a few big LIVE ones in a jar a few days later to educate them that was funny!

My secretary at the time had some of the steroid creme and it helped where the necrosis was I dont have much of a scar now.

Good luck hope she gets real help!

Kansas

and just said,OOPs! BYE!

I am looking of information on some of the spiders that people ran into while working with wood and trying to find out which one bit my wife.

Must of happened Wednesday evening or sometime during the night. By Saturday she had a fever of around 102 and Sunday it went over 103. Her skin hurts when it is touched and her joints are giving her pain.

We went to see a doctor and since he had no knowledge of spider bites he said just put warm compresses on it and continue to take over the counter meds to lower the fever. Also since we didn't know exactly when it happened we don't have the spider that bit her.

Call the national poison control center 1-800-222-1222. They will tell you he best treatment and she may need to go to hospital. People have lost legs/feet over these bites. This is what my wife does for a living. Keep the number handy and use it no cost to you.

MishMouse keep a close eye on your wife and do not hesitate to seek medical help! A friend of mine in Florida lost his wife to several bites she received after putting on a shoe that had one in it. She died within a week!

Find a doctor who is worth his own salt. I personally have no faith in any of them.

When they dont know it is time for them to ask someone that does. Not just take a wait and see attitude.

He dropped the ball in my opinion and I am hoping for the best for you both.

i'd see a doctor or two.

if it was a brown recluse,the skin tissue will start to die and turn black,in most cases.

Don't want to scare you, but these are brown recluse bites. now she may not have an allergic reaction like these people. I would find another doctor if it gets worse in the next day or two.

reclusebite4.jpg

This one took ten days to get where you see it now

BrownRecluseBite10days.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

Check again with yiour doctor, and ask him if he's seen any deer tick bites...which is exactly what that bite looks like. We have plenty of deer ticks in the northern 2/3 of the state

Google up deer tick info asap, and call the dr tomorrow. Chances are she has been bitten by one that has lyme disease if she has a fever. It's about like having influenza.
You dr is a hack, IMO, for not suspecting deer ticks, but may be forgiven if you live in the SW corner of the state, where they are uncommon.

Edit: I see you are from Verndale. Not as many deer ticks there as here (about 75 miles NE of you) but you do have 'em. Your dr is remiss, IMO.

Last edited:
Dang sthil sawing, that looks like some pictures in the VD awareness films I had to watch in Korea back in 79.

In 1986 a soldier of mine's 18 year old wife was bitten in the face by a spider. (North Carolina) We sent him home early from maneuvers because the spider layed eggs in her cheek and when the eggs hatched, she freaked out. Poor thing, she moved back to NJ.

This time of year Lots of produce from Fla. Ga. texas etc. are shipped to the upper midwest, and it ain't cold enough to kill those nasty bastards.

Yep. They can be here, just not populate.

Get her to a Doc that knows his spiders.

Recluse bites are Nasty and can be fatal in some cases.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Something bit me a couple of weeks ago and the bite area looked just like the photo you posted. We have plenty of the recluse spiders here in KY but I firmly believe whatever bit me wasn't a brown recluse because the area healed in about 5 days and never got any worse in appearance than your photo. I have seen what a recluse can do t a person. Lady down the street last summer was bitten and ended up in the hospital. Her entire right side of her torso was black when released.

Here is the picture of the bite.

Yup that sure looks exactly like what mine did MishMouse sorry to say that definately find an expert on spider bites she will be ok but wont feel good for awhile!

And it is just where one of those guys would bite in a cramped spot like a joint man that is going to ache something terrible I really feel for her.

good luck

Kansas

and just said,OOPs! BYE!

Yeah we felt the same way that exact thought crossed our minds letting them loose and see how they liked the possibillity of getting bit by one of them!

They honestly had never actually seen one the stupid doctor tried to tell me recluses have an hour glass on its belly if you can believe that?

I showed him the body of mine when I went in and the fiddle was clear as can be on his back its so frusterating talking to people sometimes especially health care professionals.

This area is full of recluses fact its the common spider it just amazes me how doctors everywhere can be so stupid about spider bites.

Kansas

tell you something that will help get rid of them too. Those sonic things you plug in will make them find another place but you need a few to put around the house. Also a mixture of vinegar and water sprayed in every corner will make them go elswhere. Now the vinegar will smell for a couple of hours. Don't mix it too strong either.

Here is the picture of the bite.

Thats how they start out. Then the skin comes off and at the edge turns black as the hole gets bigger. I had one that looked like stihl sawing's top picture but mine only had an open area of meat about the size of a half dollar. It took a long time to heel and itched like crazy.

Back