Can warped boards be straightened?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTM

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I milled some hackberry awhile back. Two and a half inches thick and about 36" wide. They were stacked and stickered. I didn't put any weight on top of the stack. A couple have some warping now. Will weighting the stack now help to flatten them out?

If you want to mess with them a bunch you can make them better, but be prepared to do some planing. I got some used carpet and sprayed it with water to put the slabs on to warp them the way I wanted. They started to straighten out in less than a week, but had to keep the carpet damp all the time and then lay them out carefully with fir strips to allow to dry. Thanks

If you want to mess with them a bunch you can make them better, but be prepared to do some planing. I got some used carpet and sprayed it with water to put the slabs on to warp them the way I wanted. They started to straighten out in less than a week, but had to keep the carpet damp all the time and then lay them out carefully with fir strips to allow to dry. Thanks

So Ted,
are saying that after you straightened them by moisture swelling the concave side, that you were able to then dry them in the straightened position?

Old Blue
With a few torqued slabs in................
Kali-bone-ya

That is what I am telling you. With some patience they can be brought to near perfection. However if your wood has cracked then OH Well. From my experience if the wood is moistened then allowed to dry slowly it seems to be fine. Some types of wood will react differently, I have about 1000 BF of 2'' Pine planks that were not well taken care of that were warped quite severely, but now seem to be very usable. Thanks

I'd move them to the bottom of the stack (or a new stack) and hope for the best...

SR

Back