Can't take the heat- but it's getting cooler!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been 48* here in Decatur Alabama for the last two mornings.
Looks real inviting out my office window......
David

It has been 48* here in Decatur Alabama for the last two mornings.
Looks real inviting out my office window......
David
My uncle had 42 in WNC yesterday as well.

I am in northwest Florida for several weeks and didn't check the temp but needed a sweatshirt while drinking coffee on the patio this morning.

My uncle had 42 in WNC yesterday as well.

I am in northwest Florida for several weeks and didn't check the temp but needed a sweatshirt while drinking coffee on the patio this morning.
I have been sleeping with nothing on but a pair of shorts on top of the covers all summer. Last nite I got up and got a blanket. Didnt check the temps, but it was cool.

I have been sleeping with nothing on but a pair of shorts on top of the covers all summer. Last nite I got up and got a blanket. Didnt check the temps, but it was cool.
Remind me, you are lower elevation than Violet, correct? So in theory it would be cooler at your place?

North-West Florida... Pensacola Area ??

We plan to be in Gulf Shores AL the middle of Oct.
If IRMA does not change those plans.

David

Was 36* here early this morning. Soon will be scraping winshield... yaayyyyy (not!)

From 2 weeks ago...

20170902_001247.jpg

Warmed up a bit over the last few days, mid 50s during the day, been staying about 65* in the house, so no fires at home lately.

Still burning at the shop but that place is around 6000sq ft and not very tight.
When it's -35* the stove about melts your face at 5ft, but have to chisel the ice in the toilet to poop (not joking).

Had about 3 hrs yesterday that it may have been in the low 60s. Sun was out and I was down to T shirt.

Then it clouded up, starting raining (ice cold rain) and a 30mph wind which has gotten worse overnight.

I put up my EZ-UP shelter, hopefully it hasn't blown.away and self-destructed. I thought about going back to the shop, but wasn't too excited about dealing with it at 10pm in the wind as sideways rain.

Had to resist the temptation to build a fire the least few nights, Temps hit mid 40's. The dampness from all the rain made it seem colder than it was. wife went into baking/cooking mode and that was enough to warm the house up
cool day's with fall canning season in full swing, these are the days we look forward to get it done in the cool... lol while we swelter in the heat/
high humidity of the pressure cooker... ? what do you do? gotta love the summer/fall change over!

Had a get together at a friends hunting cabin over the weekend, was in the low 60's at night, really nice. I have a big Ash to take down Saturday, then I just gave a price on removing 20 Leyland Cypress. The Leylands are all about 40', easy job, but a lot of brush. Is the wood good for anything. Several of the trunks are big enough to mill. I can always make shelves in the shed with them, Joe.
I was gifted a fat 87" ash log around a year ago. Sliced a lot of slabs off that varied thicknesses since I'd made no real plans. I just laid on edge leaning against a phone pole. Pretty well dried now very little bow , except the nearest the bark. Have been making tool handles from the bowed bits. Very stable so far. Oh yeah, that is the stump in my avatar.
On the other side of use; I've had a lot of folks at the auctions say that wet or dry they like burning ash for heat.
Leyland is a hybrid by accident about 130 years ago, rapid grower, used for hedges and the like, can reach 55 metres high. Since it is used most for trimmed height use, little has been tried for lumber. Lead the way by milling some please. I've planted Bald Cypress along the creek, don't expect to harvest any. Stay safe while ya enjoy

Back