Carlton 2500-4 engine shutting off?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treecutterjr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a Carlton 2500-4 Stump grinder. It has the Kohler 27hp engine. Roughly 1265hrs. When I'm running it, the engine will all of a sudden die. Sometimes will grinding, or moving or around or just idling.

I've changed the fuel lines, fuel filter, that little fuel pump, and still doing it. Any suggestions?

Sometimes when it cuts off at high rpms (like when grinding) it will back fire. But usually engine just idles down and shuts off all by itself.
Help....
vu9avesy.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396565578294.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I am having the same problem with my bandit 38hp kohler, can grind for about 1 and 1/2 hrs and it will just quit, thought it might
be a vacuum prob so changed the gas cap, same prob, changed fuel lines, filter, same problem, thinking fuel pump, if it shuts of
on tomorrows job I will disconnect fuel line and see if pump is pumping, pretty aggravating, after sitting for about 1/2 hr it will
restart and work for a while and then quit again, bandit says could be pump, low oil switch mal-functioning, or something else
in electrical system, eng still under warranty but a long way to dealer so I would like to fix myself, busy season right now, not
a good time for all this to happen....hoping its the pump......good luck with yours....

Bob....:givebeer:

Check for spark next time it does it. Run it engaged till it dies, let it run down. Pull a plug, if there is vapor then you have fuel and that's not the problem. Check for spark (clear the gas vapor first). No spark means you probably need a coil. If you have a low oil pressure switch on yours and I don't think the 27hp does, then that could be the problem as well.

The back fire is caused by unburned fuel passing through the exhaust valve into the hot muffler igniting after it cuts out. That tells me you do not have a fuel problem. Does that model have any safety/micro switches? Could be the ignition switch grounding out. Dissconnect the kill wire to test. More likely a bad coil/stator.

If not fixed yet.......suggest see after stalls if fuel in bowl ......is there fuel present via a drain screw....figuring fuel starvation from contamination in carb like common with a Tecumseh snowblower left over the winter?

My 25hp Kohler on my super jr kicked in the starter gear last week somehow, broke a tooth and jammed everything up. Got a new starter and running good, guys call me today after a couple hours it quit again, ugh, turned out to be the inline fuse was separating just enough to shut it down. Taped that ***** together and crimped the other connections a little tighter and all seems good so far.....

Check for spark next time it does it. Run it engaged till it dies, let it run down. Pull a plug, if there is vapor then you have fuel and that's not the problem. Check for spark (clear the gas vapor first). No spark means you probably need a coil. If you have a low oil pressure switch on yours and I don't think the 27hp does, then that could be the problem as well.
Agreed, also check for loose or corroded ground wire on engine or coil. They may run fine with a loose wire or ground until you start grinding and the vibrations wiggle it.

It was electrical. Fuse holder going to starter was cracked. As engine vibrated it would shake loose causing shut down. Problem solved

Told ya! Hopefully didn't take this long to figure out! That the one you're selling? How many hours, hydro steering?

Yea. 1286 hrs. Hydro steering. I think the wheel motor for the driving is going out. I changed the chain, the sprocket, and it keeps making a popping sound. The little hydraulic motor down there is the only think left.

Back