Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love cast iron. Someone foolishly sent a couple of mine through the dishwasher so a clean up and reseason was necessary.

IMG_7976.JPG
IMG_7977.JPG

After a couple of heating and cooling cycles the oil was reduced to a nice waxy coating and they were back to making great food.
IMG_7980.JPG

IMG_7981.JPG

I love cast iron. Someone foolishly sent a couple of mine through the dishwasher so a clean up and reseason was necessary.

View attachment 579425 View attachment 579426

After a couple of heating and cooling cycles the oil was reduced to a nice waxy coating and they were back to making great food.
View attachment 579427

View attachment 579428
About all I cook on is cast. I know I dont have an iron deficiency. Couldn't see your photos, probably my end though. This phone sucks.

The reason why this one got dishwashed was because I rent my cabin by the week during peak months when I'm not around. They also trashed my teflon pans within a year. I put away my favorite pans (both teflon and cast) and all the steel cooking utensils as people apparently have no clue how to treat things.

The reason why this one got dishwashed was because I rent my cabin by the week during peak months when I'm not around. They also trashed my teflon pans within a year. I put away my favorite pans (both teflon and cast) and all the steel cooking utensils as people apparently have no clue how to treat things.
I'm sure you charge them enough to trash a few Teflon pans, good thing ya really can't wreck a cast pan. I have resurrected them from the woods found at old logging camps.

I'm sure you charge them enough to trash a few Teflon pans, good thing ya really can't wreck a cast pan. I have resurrected them from the woods found at old logging camps.
Yes we do OK on it, and what isn't covered with rental income is tax deductible.

I brought the old pans from my house and am keeping my eyes open for a nice set of teflon pans from a rummage sale to put up there. I equipped my other cabin with a beautiful set of stainless pans for $20 bucks that were probably retail of $300.

Matt, here is how I do it.

I clean the inside of the pan thoroughly. You can use a scouring pad if necessary. Make sure it is dry then I wipe it down with a good coating of cooking oil.

Then I heat it on low heat until the oil starts to smoke. Immediately shut off the heat and let it cool. After it is cool then wipe it down with oil again (there will often still be some in the pan). After a few cycles of this the oil will eventually form a waxy coating and you then have successfully "seasoned" the cooking surface. Once it is seasoned I just turn it over in the cupboard and it is ready to cook with. Then just wipe it out after each use and reseason if necessary.

You can also re-season a cast iron pan in the oven. Clean pan and coat entire pan with your oil of choice. Wipe out any excess oil and place the pan upside down in a cold oven. Turn on oven and heat to 400F for an hour, turn off and let pan cool down inside the oven. You can repeat this as many times as you feel you need to build up several layers of seasoning.

I use shortening to season my pans. Cooks ill recommends flaxseed oil. Flax give a beautiful finish to a pan that looks like you painted it with black spray paint. I feel it also tastes like you painted it with black paint.

If your pans are still a bit sticky after seasoning, give the 2 oil method a try when cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6t4pTL95OA

I forgot to mention that method. I've never tried it but hear it works equally as well.

I use canola or olive oil. I think the canola seems to make a thicker layer of "season" but have never compared side by side.

We have a lot of cast cookware, some I imagine is a hundred years old, and found here and there!--My wife was given a big set for our wedding, and we still have/use it most every day.
The other stuff just don't cut it!--Teflon coated stuff comes off the first time you use it., stainless is ok, but we dont use it often.--Our 20 quart stock pots are stainless, so kinda stuck with them. thanks; sonny580

I was just reading about CI cookware. I guess the older stuff is more desirable as it's naturally smoother due to the method in which it was made. Newer cookware is all sand cast which leaves a rougher surface which of course will smooth out with age but will always be rougher than the vintage CI.

I can't stand the modern rough cast iron. My old stuff is smooth as a baby's bottom. I read in an article that lodge makes really good pans because it was rough. I think that is hog wash.

Love cooking on old cast iron pans. I have many smooth style ones that are over 40-50 years old that I will never lend or let.
I even have an old round pancake griddle with just a lip for sides. All are passed down from my Dad and Mom, may the both rest in peace.
They taught me a lot about good old fashioned home cooking and how to enjoy it.
I try to pass this on to my family.

Back