Cast your vote

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Help me decide

• Total voters
No big deal!.....Just JBweld it or send it to Lakeside and have him JBweld it.....with a little Stihl paint it will look just like new.....Hahahahahahaha!

I got the sellers contact info and called him. I was very polite and listed the defects. He was very polite. He sold the saw for his brother. He said he would talk to his bro and get back with me in about 20 minutes. Believe it or not, he actually. He wanted me to know he was still trying to get ahold of his bro and had looked at the pics. He mentioned being new on eBay and didn't want to make a bad name for himself. He also said he didn't know how all the PayPal stuff works for a refund. I told him I'd prefer to just return it and that we'd talk about the details of how to make that happen once he talks to his bro. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No big deal!.....Just JBweld it or send it to Lakeside and have him JBweld it.....with a little Stihl paint it will look just like new.....Hahahahahahaha!

If worst came to worst, the case could be made near 100% with a good JB Weld repair. The only stress that area sees is when you pull the rope. Everything else is bolt on stuff. I knew the engine shroud and recoil needed replaced already, so no problem there.

If worst came to worst, the case could be made near 100% with a good JB Weld repair. The only stress that area sees is when you pull the rope. Everything else is bolt on stuff. I knew the engine shroud and recoil needed replaced already, so no problem there.

Brad......Then why send it back?.....Go for it!

The only stress that area sees is when you pull the rope.
Here's the minorly broken recoil.
265755502_mPppw-M.jpg

265755607_9vVBz-M.jpg

Nice little surprise under the slightly damaged recoil.
265755449_cjUqL-M.jpg

265755437_5jkh2-M.jpg

One of the front AV mounts is nearly broken off.
265755713_nJZUC-M.jpg

More damage to the tank.
265755790_Cx84b-M.jpg

The filter base is broken on both sides.
265755601_3s6PN-M.jpg

265755611_6psjJ-M.jpg

Or run over it with a skidder?

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm.........................When you bid on a broken saw to begin with you should expect the worst.......

I do seem to remember that other beater you bought...........The 440/junker

Did you check compression,maby the p/c is good.If it is, it might be worth messing with.I would take the tank off to look at the rest of the case for cracks.

Did you check compression,maby the p/c is good.If it is, it might be worth messing with.I would take the tank off to look at the rest of the case for cracks.

The piston is toast but the cylinder looks like it would clean up and hone to look like new. I looked the saw over pretty carefully and couldn't find anything else.

So you expect nearly everything to be broken on a saw when the seller tells you it's not?

BUYER BEWARE...........The pictures on the ebay listing showed damage.......You still bid on it .........Im not saying the seller didn't hide the facts......You as a bidder saw that it had damage and its always a buyer beware...

A damaged saw is what you bought......I know you were wishing for a great rebuilder........Some times you loose when you bid on a damaged saw....

BUYER BEWARE...........The pictures on the ebay listing showed damage.......You still bid on it .........Im not saying the seller didn't hide the facts......You as a bidder saw that it had damage and its always a buyer beware...

A damaged saw is what you bought......I know you were wishing for a great rebuilder........Some times you loose when you bid on a damaged saw....

I'm not wanting to argue with you, but that's why I email a seller and ask detailed questions. If I get prompt responses that seem to be legit, I calculate that he'w likely being up front. In this case, the seller knew hardly anything about the saw and hardly even looked at it since he was selling it for his brother who has no Internet access.

The 660 tank should work on it.You might be able to fix that tank with a sodering iron.I have fixed them that way before.How are the crank berings?

I "think" the crank bearings are fine. They have no play in them. They feel smooth and will then hit a bump. I'm guessing they are just dirty from the saw having been taken apart so dirty. If I repair it, the case will be split and the bearings cleaned and inspected.

Latest posts

Back