Castrol Hydraulic oil for log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smirnoff

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, after a bit of advise. I am building a hydraulic log splitter with help from the info I've seen on the forum but I'm not sure on the oil to use? I can get as much Castrol hyspin AWS 32 or 48 as I like but just wondered if it was decent stuff to use? My set up is a 19hp ruggerini diesel engine with a 16gpm two stage gear pump, and a 5" cylinder 30" long with 2 & 1/4" rod. I can try find some data sheets and post them if it helps. Also does anyone know what sort of cycle time to expect running that? Thanks

Cycle time will be about 17 seconds, 9.5 extend, 7.6 retract.....using the 16gmp pump you mentioned.

From what I ready it is good oil. An industrial mineral oil. Much better than cheap farm store hydro oil. I would use the 30 over the 48. The 48 is getting thick. Might take awhile to warm up in cold weather.

That's great stuff, thanks for the info. I'll grab some of the 32 stuff. Now just have to get the bloody diesel engine fired up and get building.

AWS 32 weight is pretty much the standard for hydro juice in splitters, especially ones that will be used in a variety of temps.

Thanks jags that's good to know. Don't suppose anyone would know if a Honda cg135 4hp engine would have enough go to power a 16gpm pump? It's just I have one that works fine and the diesel engine I have planned is turning in to a pig to get going!

Lots of folks have had good luck with the honda clones from Harbor Freight as another option. Also, look around, tons of running engines on broken lawn mowers and such for short dollars.

Recommend 8 hp. 16 gpm at 750 psi comes to 7 hp

16 gpm at 2000 psi comes to 18.67 hp

This is not taking into consideration the two stages of a splitter pump. A 16 GPM pump is 16 GPM on the high volume/low pressure side but when it kicks into the low volume/high pressure side it is only running about 3 GPM.

Thanks guys, the engine I have will work if I put some time in to it and it's 19hp so is the perfect size. I just need to spend some time on it now.

I have a 30 gpm pump on my splitter, it reliefs at 3000psi. A 35hp Kubota does fine, but the math says I need about 50hp. Wonder how come?

You have not yet come across a split that required all the capacity your machine delivers. I have a 17ton Iron & Oak single stage that will cut crotchwood in half with the grain. PTO diven by a 25hp Kubota.

You have not yet come across a split that required all the capacity your machine delivers. I have a 17ton Iron & Oak single stage that will cut crotchwood in half with the grain. PTO diven by a 25hp Kubota.

It's I think 17 or 20 ton and has a 6 way knife. Mostly setup for speed with a ~5 second cycle time.
Engine also runs a conveyor so I'm working with maybe 30? Hp for the splitte

The HP numbers I think are if it was run at the max pressure normally.

It's I think 17 or 20 ton and has a 6 way knife. Mostly setup for speed with a ~5 second cycle time.
Engine also runs a conveyor so I'm working with maybe 30? Hp for the splitte

The HP numbers I think are if it was run at the max pressure normally.

Sounds like a nice machine.

A 35hp Kubota does fine, but the math says I need about 50hp. Wonder how come?

I had this discussion with a mechanic a few weeks ago. He was saying, if I understood him right, that HP means very little in comparing gas and diesel, that torque is a more accurate indicator of work. (or something like that) So perhaps your 35 hp diesel can do the same amount of work as a 50 hp gas job, based on torque.

Back