cat muffler vs free flowing muffler pros n cons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahahaha. Let me lay a little "intellectual honesty" on you Bro: If you believe "an hour of weed whacking is the emissions equivalent of driving 834 miles in a modern automobile," then I have some real beautiful ocean front property to sell you in Idaho. Just because you read it doesn't mean it's true.

But then again you may be right...maybe I don't have an understanding of just how filthy 2-stroke exhaust can be. I mostly just say half truths and lies to make myself look tough on the internet and to pick on weak minded people.

I said it to someone else on AS recently who had all the answers on God's green earth: I guess you got it all figured out. Maybe I can polish up my conscious thought and intellectual honesty by reading some of that crap you've got your mind wrapped around.
:numberone:

This stuff comes from the EPA which, like most guv'mint agencies, is right or wrong depending upon the D or the R after one's last name. :D

I'm not sure cat mufflers ever were all that & a bag of chips... it's not like there are that many chainsaws running at the same time.

If you believe "an hour of weed whacking is the emissions equivalent of driving 834 miles in a modern automobile," then I have some real beautiful ocean front property to sell you in Idaho.
I don't have the data on what the equivalent emissions is, but a non-strato 2-stroke is a really, really filthy polluter, at least when it comes to what are traditionally considered toxic pollutants. There's just nothing like blowing raw unburned fuel out the exhaust, and automobiles now have many decades of development in terms of emissions reduction - they've gotten really darn good.

The "all-position" carbs are lacking a fundamental feature that allows a carb to provide a fuel/air mixture that stays constant as the air velocity (rpm) through it changes. As a result they get so rich they misfire if the rpm increases just a little. Combined with scavenging losses where raw fuel from the incoming charge blows right out the still open exhaust port, and the quoted number might not be so preposterous.

However, CO2 is not traditionally considered a pollutant, although some of us now find it to be of even bigger concern. CO2 is simply proportional to the quantity of fuel burned - there is no way to clean it up, so a cat doesn't help at all with CO2. So here there is no comparison between a vehicle and a saw or string trimmer.

Back